Basketball!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Basketball!

Post by EK »

So who here likes to play Basketball? Do you guys play on a team? Shoot around in the driveway? Play at church?

I recently joined an intramural team at my school to play on weekends and I'm actually getting quite good. It's fun to learn all the plays and the different shots you can take, and when you swish it, it's one of the best feelings in the world. \:D/ I'm currently playing as a 2 guard (shooting guard). I've been practicing my shooting ALOT (hours) and I can pretty much nail it from any reasonable range with a good look, of course I'm no Kobe but, who is? Besides Kobe. I've been into watching the sport of basketball since I was a kid (back when I played in middle school and pretty much just sat on the bench, drank juice, and looked around all game) but actually getting out there and playing is alot more fun. (Don't get me wrong I still love watching the NBA, it's probably the most exciting sport to watch out of all of them)

So yeah? Who else plays? What kind of playstyle do you employ? Yadda yadda yadda.
Last edited by EK on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I LOVE basketball. I played on my church league last year. Because I'm so short, I always play guard, which is good for me because that's where I make the majority of my shots. I also play in our driveway with my older brother who is really good at basketball and always wins...but it makes for great practice.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Exactly, I practice alot in the driveway against my cousin who's super short and only 14 so I always dominate him. But he's small and fast so he helps me get my agility and awareness up. He only gets to shoot when he takes the ball in though, otherwise... he's not getting any rebound I don't let him get. ;)
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

Yeah....if I don't drive in then I don't stand a chance against him. Or sometimes I surprise him with one of my far shots. That works too. :D
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

^ I had to learn basketball against my brother who was 6'0 at the time and always blocked my shots.

I played on a legit basketball team in the 6th grade. Our team was like 7 guys and we traveled around playing other homeschools and Christian schools and such. Unfortunately, I was basically the only kid on our team who could dribble, so I was automatically the point guard. We were terrible, but we had some good times. \:D/ One game we were tied 8-8 going into overtime, and I scored the go-ahead basket (we won 13-8). In another game I got fouled and made the game-winning free-throw with 5 seconds left. ;)

I should probably stop talking about my 11-year-old basketball heroics, get off my tush and practice...

Tomorrow.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

AE, in the strange dimension and alternate timeline where we meet... I would DOMINATE you!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I've played some, but mostly just with my brothers and their friends. I'm short, so it's not my best sport :p
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I play around at church in our gym, because we've got a pretty good floor and hoops, and I've been getting better with my rare practice. My shoes have always been horrible at gripping the floor, so whenever I tried playing against my really good-playing friend I would always just slide when trying to put on a move, but somehow a few months ago I managed to stay on my feet against somebody else and beat him. One of my other friends is 6'7" and can dunk, but I've never actually seen him do just 1-on-1 with anybody...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yo, can Tim dunk?
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Tim's only 6'5", and he's never tried.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Young&Mighty
Pilgrim

Post by Young&Mighty »

I just started playing basketball again after a couple years hiatus that was ensued because of science and music. It's great exercise and I love it when I can swish 3-pointers.
"Adventure is Out There"

~Charles Muntz from "Up"
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I stink at offense. Can't make a single shot. Though I mainly play with college kids from church so their 3-4 inches on me interferes. I'm a decent perimeter guard.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Basketball is really boring to watch. :P I used to like playing it, though. ;) When I was...9 or so. I should dig up some of my old pics of my team...I played with a rec league. Some interesting characters. :anxious: One girl came up behind me during practice, grabbed me around the waist, and lifted me in the air. Oooookay.
I was a forward, and I loved getting baskets because my parents would give me a quarter for each. One game I made a whole dollar! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

I love to play basketball. Although I have never played an organized game in my life I still love playing with my friends. Since I had to teach myself I can not shoot very well. The paint is were I live. I love driving into the lane. I'm pushing 6'0 so I usually don't have to much trouble with height. Basketball is just plain awesome even if you never swish a three because you never shoot them. lol
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Basketball is really boring to watch. :P
Says the girl obsessed with hockey. :noway:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I love to play basketball. Although I have never played an organized game in my life I still love playing with my friends. Since I had to teach myself I can not shoot very well. The paint is were I live. I love driving into the lane. I'm pushing 6'0 so I usually don't have to much trouble with height. Basketball is just plain awesome even if you never swish a three because you never shoot them. lol
Driving in the lane for the layup is probably the funnest part really, faking your defender out and shaking them gives you extra brownie points. You feel so awesome when you can just lay it in smoothly...like butter. ;)
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

EK wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:I love to play basketball. Although I have never played an organized game in my life I still love playing with my friends. Since I had to teach myself I can not shoot very well. The paint is were I live. I love driving into the lane. I'm pushing 6'0 so I usually don't have to much trouble with height. Basketball is just plain awesome even if you never swish a three because you never shoot them. lol
Driving in the lane for the layup is probably the funnest part really, faking your defender out and shaking them gives you extra brownie points. You feel so awesome when you can just lay it in smoothly...like butter. ;)
Sometimes I might try to fake out the defender by spinning or sidestepping but the majority of the time I just take it at them. I play off of contact. In fact contact actually slows me down and helps me to shoot better (which is also why I am ineffective against girls because you can't play off of contact against girls). Though one time I did make my 5'6" 120lbs track star friend break his ankle (not literally) while driving (I'm 6'0" 175 lbs).
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yeah, but playing against girls is easy enough, the girls I play against just give up if you jump high enough a few times. ;)
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I played rec basketball in the next town over for 8 years until I decided not to play this past fall. I like playing for fun and have played a bunch of street basketball games at grad parties in the past few weeks, no one cared if we were following the rules which made everything super fun. If you have problems with your shoes sliding, I learned a trick from one of my former coaches, take a rag and clean off the bottoms of your shoes and spray a good amount of hairspray on the bottom, it'll help you not to slide, especially on those super dirty school gym floors......

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m not good at basketball, but I really enjoy playing anyway. (Just ‘for fun’ two on two with friends.)
But I’m very sad that it’s now impossible for me. My asthma makes me only able to move around in that way for literally three minutes tops. :(
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

EK wrote:
Hockey is sooooo much more exciting and adrenaline pumping than old basketball. :noway: It's a lot faster and unpredictable than trotting back and forth on a basketball court and scoring a basket on both ends most times. :P

ANYWAY. The old days:

Those were the days when people sometimes mistook me for a boy. :-
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.