PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:We play our Wii and watch videos on it.
And how does that differ from control over tv channels? If you don’t like a program that’s on, you can turn it off just like a movie. :-k
Our dad previews almost every movie we watch. Either that or I look it up on Plugged.com.
You're 15 and your dad previews almost every movie you watch? :-s That's, like... pathetic. :anxious:
*disagree*
While I don't think it is particularly necessary all the time, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Odysseyfan's dad trying to protect his family from seeing some of the bad stuff out there. Yes, he's 15, but his dad is still his dad, and as such, feels he has a duty to watch over his family as a whole, no matter what age they are.
I think it's reasonable; I'm sixteen, and I still need general parental approval for the movies I watch--as in, I'd better make sure it's a movie my mom would let me see, and if I'm not sure about it I stop and ask before watching. Yeah, sometimes it's a pain, but I appreciate the fact that they care enough to watch out for me. :yes: And I mean, in the end who needs to see most of that garbage anyways?
Last edited by Amethystic on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

No, it's not pathetic. He let's me watch some stuff (like "Up") but I have 5 brothers that like to watch videos as well. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:
And how does that differ from control over tv channels? If you don’t like a program that’s on, you can turn it off just like a movie. :-k
Our dad previews almost every movie we watch. Either that or I look it up on Plugged.com.
So it’s like, on tv shows even though you have a general idea of whether it would be OKay or not you don’t really know for sure, but with movies you can check the whole thing before you actually watch it?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Yes, I guess, plus alot of the commercials that come on are very inappropriate as well. We don't watch anything on TV programing, I actually don't know if we even get reception or not, didn't they switch to some digital deal or something?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jesus' Princess wrote:plus alot of the commercials that come on are very inappropriate as well.
That is a great point, I didn’t even consider the commercials.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Netflix and DVDs SCOFF at commercials, though. ;)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

bookworm wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:
So it’s like, on tv shows even though you have a general idea of whether it would be OKay or not you don’t really know for sure, but with movies you can check the whole thing before you actually watch it?
Exactly. :D
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So would you watch tv shows on dvd? Since there are no commercials and you can check the whole thing?
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

So, you do have a tv. You just don't get any channels.

That's basically what we have. (We haven't even updated to digital yet. \:D/ )

But, yeah, I would thinking watching tv shows on dvd would be fine, if your dad previews them, correct?

And of course there's always ClearPlay.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Yes, I suppose that would be okay, depending on the show. We haven't had the need to watch shows, but if it was on a DVD and my dad previewed it, that would probably be fine.

What is ClearPlay? I've never heard of it.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jesus' Princess wrote:What is ClearPlay? I've never heard of it.
It’s Big Brother controlling what you see and hear. :dark:
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Yes, I suppose that would be okay, depending on the show. We haven't had the need to watch shows, but if it was on a DVD and my dad previewed it, that would probably be fine.

What is ClearPlay? I've never heard of it.
It's a program that's kinda like a DVD player that you can buy that bleeps out all the language, skips the sex scenes, and softens the violence. And you can control how strict each one of those options is. It's pretty cool, so I've heard. I wish my family had one.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

bookworm wrote:So would you watch tv shows on dvd? Since there are no commercials and you can check the whole thing?
Yeah, depending on the TV show. :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:So would you watch tv shows on dvd? Since there are no commercials and you can check the whole thing?
Yeah, depending on the TV show. :)
I see :yes: Thanks :)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

ric wrote:So, you do have a tv. You just don't get any channels.

But, yeah, I would thinking watching tv shows on dvd would be fine, if your dad previews them, correct?

Yep. We don't have ClearPlay unfortunately. :(
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
ric wrote:So, you do have a tv. You just don't get any channels.

Yep. We don't have ClearPlay unfortunately. :(
Nor do I. I totally want to get it though. Then I could see Memento. \:D/
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

This is just me, but if my parents were to review everything I watched, I know I would get easily annoyed. I know that many of my "atheist and agnostic" friends turned down their faith not just solely because "Christianity" as a whole does not make sense for them ,but because many of them had super conservative parents that practically restrict them on the entertainment they are able to do, watch, read, etc. Most of them mostly said because they would use God and religion as an excuse for what their parents do, even though many times they would do hypocritical stuff that would go against what they believe in. It may sound immature and I don't necessarily agree with them, but its just something to put into thought. Going to extreme can make one lose faith. I mean look what happened to Katy Perry >_>

That being said, sometimes it is good for parents to review especially if you have younger siblings that like to watch the same thing you like. And if you do not mind if your parents review everything you watch, then by all means do whatever works for ya. Its good to be clean. For me though if there were to be some junk they would add in to a movie, I would try to forward it unless it had some importance to the plot (which most of the time it doesn't).
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Well, I have lots of younger siblings and we do all watch the same things, it's helpful to know if we will need to fast forward or to avoid the movie altogether, and no, I don't have any problems with my dad previewing movies and occasionally books before we watch/read them.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

What do you guys believe about men shaving their beards or women shaving their legs?
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Ayralee wrote:What do you guys believe about men shaving their beards or women shaving their legs?
Um, I'm not quite sure why you ask. It's fine, I'm just wondering if you believe differently or something, cause I've never gotten that question. :D