The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I haven’t been able to post this until now (obviously) but I typed it up when I got home Friday night, while the movie was still fresh in my mind.
I went to see this movie with high excitement, but low expectations. Not that I expected it to be bad, just that I didn’t expect too much in the way of accuracy. (as far as the book was concerned)
This was due to a combination of remembering the liberties taken in the previous film and the premovie talk of this film’s deviations.
I’m very sorry to say that, even with these lowered standards, the movie still felt unfulfilling to me.
However, I’m not prepared to label this as a bad movie yet, because I have learned from past experience that I personally have to see a movie twice to really get it. I recall one time, I saw a certain movie and I thought it was just one of the worst things ever. But a little while later I saw it again, and it became one of my favorites.
So hopefully this is like that. Maybe I just have to see this again to appreciate it.
So, with that in mind, I’ll now examine various points of conflict I had with this film.

First of all, I have to say that when analyzing this film I had to look at it from many angles.
First, of course, as an accurate portrayal of the book. Not only in following the book’s events, but in capturing the symbolism that Lewis held so important.
Second, as a film in general. Just something to put in theaters and sell dvds.
The first angle also has subangles. These are somewhat complicated (actually, very complicated) to explain, but the main idea is, when judging how well a book based movie is done, you have to keep in mind that it will never be exactly like the book. However, it should be as close as it can. I realize though that some artistic liberties can be acceptable, but sometimes that creates a whole new angle you have to take the movie at. First, is the liberty acceptable, and second, if it is, how far can it be taken. (I know that is a very poor description, but I think you will see what I mean when I actually begin going through the points)

The second angle was easy. This was an incredible film. From a movie standpoint. It had action, emotion, and everything else a movie like this needs. I’m sure it will make lots of money and sell lots of dvds. This movie, from a commercial standpoint, was a great success.

The first angle, not so much.

There were many things that did not follow the book, or even were not from the book entirely.
Now, as I said before, these have to be viewed in two different ways. This is because of the one major change they made:
The fog.
In the book, the fog is only toward the end. It’s the Dark Island, where they find Lord Rhoop. That’s all. No wisps of green smoke following them throughout the lands. No ‘temptation’ at every turn, capable of making boats of people all the way in the Lone Islands disappear.
By enhancing the Dark Island’s power like they did, the filmmakers created their own plotline, separate from the book’s. The story now revolves around defeating the Dark Island. While this was an event in the book, in the movie it was not an event, it was the event.
I didn’t personally favor this change, but I accept it as artistic license.

Now, because of this new take on the plot, we have two separate categories in which to place things that don’t follow the book.
One, things that don’t follow the book for no apparent reason. Things they did differently, or just plain made up.
Two, things that don’t follow the book because of the plot change. These are things that differ from the book, but they differ because they are necessary now that we have this ‘stop the Island’ theme going on.

The best way to make this clear is probably an example.
Let’s take the following two events:
1) Dragon Island and Deathwater Island being combined
2) The addition of two new characters, the man and his daughter

Now, both of these things differ from the book. However, this first one was just ‘done’ (I realize it was for the sake of easier plot advancement, but it’s still a book deviation) The second was done because of the new plotline. If there wasn’t a green fog causing people to disappear, the man and girl wouldn’t have joined the crew, and there would be no deviation from the book. See what I mean?
So while the first change can be debated as to whether it was necessary or proper, the second one can’t. Because I said earlier that I accepted the new ‘fog plot’, it follows that changes relating to that plot are also accepted. (not all, but most)

I hope I made that clear.
Anyway, on to the points.

As I said, there were many deviations from the book. There were also varying degrees. As such, I have divided them into the categories of overlookable (things that were different from the book, but they’re minor or unimportant) disappointing (major changes that I feel were uncalled for) and in between (major changes, but not necessarily ‘bad’ ones)

Overlookable:

Eustace has live bugs in his room. (in the book, he likes bugs that are dead and on cards)

Lucy is brought on board the Dawn Treader unharmed. (in the book, she bumps her knee)

Ramandu is not shown, only mentioned

Coriakin is not revealed to be a star

Disappointing:

Lord Bern not buying Caspian, but instead being a prisoner himself

No overthrowing of Governor Gumpas

Eustace’s change from dragon back to boy

Aslan not being a lamb

Caspian being at the end of the world

In Between:

The Dufflpuds did not make themselves invisible

Eustace remains a dragon much longer than in the book

They find a lord dead on Dragon Island

The sea serpent attack was part of the Dark Island, not a separate event

Now, I’m going to run down that list to give my thoughts.
It is also important to note that some of these need to have that second filter of the second plot applied to them. I’ll make note of that when I get to them.

The first two overlookables are just that, so I’ll move past them.

Ramandu not being shown was somewhat overlookable since it isn’t, strictly speaking, necessary. However, the whole thing about him being a retired star and how he gets younger to go back up again is an interesting side story. As well as the food being eaten and regenerated each day.

Coriakin being revealed to be another star gives this story a new layer. And it also provides mystery at the unanswered questions like ‘what faults a star can commit’ that I always thought was a nice touch. It gave something to think about. But again, it isn’t technically necessary.

Lord Bern being a prisoner and not overthrowing Gumpas combine into what I thought was one of the biggest disappointments in the whole film: the relatively emotionless fight against the slave trade.
That was always one of my favorite parts of this story.
Bern buys Caspian, and when he discovers who he is he helps form a plan to rescue the others. They then abolish the slave trade, give Pug his comeuppance, and then proceed to overthrow Governor Gumpas and replace him with Bern. It was a great side story about fighting injustice.
All the movie had was them getting captured and then being freed. It actually felt quite apathetic to me.

Eustace’s change back from a dragon was also very disappointing. It is meant to symbolize being cleansed of sin by Baptism. It’s very descriptive and moving in the book. All the movie had was scratch, roar, wow he’s a boy again. It really lost the meaning.

Aslan didn’t appear as a lamb at the end of the world. The symbolism there is obvious, but once again lost in the movie.

In the book, Caspian is not allowed to go to the world’s end. In the movie, he not only goes, but almost continues on into Aslan’s country.
This was quite disappointing for me.
I understand why it was done, to keep the main characters involved, but it misses the point. Caspian staying behind was a test of his obedience to Aslan. He wanted to go very much, but he was told to let the others go instead. Changing that took something out.

Coriakin says that he was the one that made the Dufflpuds invisible. In the book, they did it themselves.
Now, this is one of the ones that has to be taken in stride with the new plot.
Coriakin did it to protect them from the green mist. In that context it makes sense, and is even acceptable. Indeed, it fits very well. However, changing it like this erases the whole side story of the Dufflpuds being so stupid they don’t see Coriakin is trying to help them in the various things he did that led up to them making themselves invisible.
I always found that part of the story amusing so I was sorry they took it out, but I can understand why they did. Since it wasn’t essential to the new plot of stopping the fog, it was removed so as to not include too many ‘unimportant’ storylines. I guess I can go with that.

Eustace remaining a dragon, again, is because of the new plot direction. They needed him to remain a dragon so he could fight the sea serpent, get the last sword, and save the day. Once again, if they hadn’t changed the plot the sea serpent wouldn’t have been saved for the end, and Eustace probably wouldn’t have still been a dragon. So in the context of the new storyline, I guess it’s okay.

Finding the dead lord on Dragon Island/Deathwater was an understandable plot device. They needed to identify him as one of the lords so they could account for his whereabouts and move on.
But I like how in the book, it isn’t as clear as that. They never actually find out for certain what happened to that lord, they just assume he met his end there. Was he eaten by the other dragon? Was he the other dragon? Did something else entirely happen to him? We’ll never know.
Of course, in the film they left out the other dragon entirely. So that sort of explains why they didn’t have those options.

The sea serpent attack, again, needs to be thought of in terms of the fog plot.
In the book it’s a separate event, but in the movie it is part of the Dark Island’s spell. And, it was used as a main plot device, making it necessary to appear where it did. In this context, I found this change acceptable.

There are probably a few other things I could touch on, but those are the main ones that I made note of.

What is my final judgment on this movie then?
Again, it depends on the point of view.

As a general movie, I found it very entertaining and enjoyable.
But, that’s not what it is.
It is, or should be, a visual representation of its Narnia story as C. S. Lewis meant it.
This means it should keep the symbolism intact. That was why Lewis wrote the books. Not to tell a story, to make a point. They had a deeper meaning, another message.

In this story, there are three main symbolisms.
The allusion to Baptism, Aslan as a lamb, and Aslan’s other name.
This film only contained one of those three.
To its credit, the one it did get it got perfectly. I thought they did that scene very well, and was very pleased that they took the line exactly from the book. By doing that, they kept the message perfectly intact.
But, in just about anything, one out of three is not very good.

Therefore, sadly, I must say that this movie failed to live up to what I believe is its responsibility.
The purpose here shouldn’t be to just make a blockbuster, it should be to preserve and present the message Lewis sought to reveal.
In my opinion, it seems the filmmakers strayed away from that and got caught up in their own goals.

As I said before, I understand that a book based movie is never too much like the book, and I kept that in mind. I’m not being picky about every little thing and making a fuss because they took liberties, I’m saying I believe that because of the story they chose to present they had certain duties, and I don’t feel they fulfilled them well enough.

This film definitely could have been a lot worse, but I believe it could have also been better.

* Disclaimer:
The text above is solely my personal opinion. It is not meant to cause offense to anyone who may have thought the movie was great.
As I said, I need to see movies twice. Some of the above stated positions may change once I see this film again.

The preceding was merely my personal take on the film as I saw it.
EDIT:

I have a followup commentary from yesterday, but this one turned out so long that I will wait until someone posts after this one and put in in a seperate post.
Last edited by bookworm on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Termite wrote:
ric wrote:Random comment: Liam Neeson said this: “Aslan symbolises a Christlike figure, but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries.”

These comments do decrease my appreciation of the film somewhat, although they probably shouldn't. This might have something to do, however, with the short Aslan scenes.
Um, it shouldn't. :anxious: Liam Neeson has nothing to do with Narnia, and if anyone read the books they would see how much Aslan ISN'T like the other 'gods'.
Uh...what? You do know, of course, that Liam Neeson plays Aslan? :anxious: (Yes, I know that the scripts are written with practically no input of the actors, but, just sayin'....)

Btw, in your review, you mentioned several times when you thought the Aslan parts were insufficient. That's what I was referring to.
Last edited by ric on Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

These are some more thoughts I typed up yesterday.
I rewatched the BBC version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, just to compare it to the new film, and I was incredibly surprised at what I found.
I never thought I would say this, but I’m going to.
BBC did a better job with their movie than the new filmmakers did.

I’ll give you a minute to get over the shock of ‘did he just day that?!’

Yes, I said it. And I meant it.
And I realize how absurd that sounds.

I don’t mean to make fun of the BBC movies, but in all honesty we know they are pretty bad. Granted they were made twenty years ago, but still they are pretty terrible at parts.
Except for this one.

I always knew Dawn Treader was my favorite of the BBC movies, and now I know why. Because it isn’t like the others at all.
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was just bordering on okay. Prince Caspian and The Silver Chair were laughable. (except for Puddleglum)
But The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is honestly a respectable movie.

It was absolutely everything that a Narnia movie should be. Not only did all the events from the book take place, but they took place in the right order, and in the right way.
Even the dialogue was almost completely word for word from the book.
I was extremely impressed. I didn’t remember that from the last time I watched it.

Now, I’m not saying that the reason the new movie isn’t good is because they made up their own dialogue. That would be ridiculous. I don’t expect the filmmakers to only use lines from the book. (although I do appreciate it when they stick in one of the more well recognized lines here and there)
The reason I thought the BBC film was better is because of the effort. They tried to keep the story intact. And I get the feeling from watching it that they really cared about it. They understood their responsibility to tell Lewis’s story, not make up their own, and they fulfilled it.

The new film is a better movie of course, due to the advantage of twenty years of advancing technology (although the BBC dragon was pretty impressive), but I imagine the BBC movies were quite outstanding for their time.
But the point is, that’s not why they made them. They made them to tell the Narnia stories, not make money from a movie.
And that’s where the difference is. I think the new filmmakers got those two goals reversed, and it showed.

As I said in my previous (and rather long) post, I didn’t appreciate the new film too much because they only had one of the three main symbolisms that are important in this story.
The BBC film had two of the three.
Ironically, the one it didn’t have was the only one the new film had. The BBC had the Baptism and the lamb, but didn’t use Aslan’s line about his other name.

After seeing these two completely different versions of this film, I am more puzzled than ever about what in the world the new film’s creators were thinking.
Why did they feel the need to change the story? BBC showed that you can have a great movie while sticking to the original plot.

Maybe it’s because I’m not a filmmaker, but I just don’t understand.
If I were making these movies, I would be excited about making Dawn Treader. Not because I would want to see what spins I could put on it, but because I could make it how it already is.
As I said sometime before, this is a great story already. It doesn’t need any changes! The filmmakers should have had fun going through and bringing the book’s events to life. I believe I would have.

* Disclaimer:
Again, the above text is only my personal opinion and is not meant to cause offense.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Um, yeah, I gotta finish reading your original review first. :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

By the way, don’t get me wrong here. I haven’t turned against the Narnia film franchise.
I still support making these films, and I hope they continue.
I’m just saying that there are certain things that a Narnia film should be, and the foremost of those is true to the stories they claim to portray.
I got the impression back when the first one came out that they had their priorities right. They were making a major film yes, but they were doing it to tell Lewis’s stories and share his messages.
It seems that lately, that idea has been lost.
If the filmmakers can get back to it, then I think they’ll do an even better job with the next film. And what they need to understand is that there doesn’t even have to be a compromise. There is no mutual exclusion between telling Lewis’s story as it was meant to be and making an amazing movie.

So I do sincerely hope they continue making these films, and I will support their work as long as they do. Because even if they slip up (according to some) now and then, it is still a noble endeavor they have undertaken.

And even if they don’t get more accurate to the books in the future, all is not lost.
I believe that if someone enjoys the films, they will be inspired to read the books they are based on. And in doing that, they will get the stories Lewis was telling and the points he was making as they were meant to be. :)
The movies aren’t the final representation of all that, they are just the starting point. They pique people’s interest in Lewis’s work, so they can go deeper on their own.
Last edited by bookworm on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Yay for lots of reviews. \:D/

I'm so ready for some good news. I've been like... moping around the house ever since I saw VDT's weekend numbers ($25,000,000), and I might post about that later in the Narnia forum. On the plus side, though, there's still a chance for The Silver Chair! VDT's production budget is only $155 million (PC's budget was $225 million), so it doesn't need to make as much money to be successful. Additionally, VDT seems to be doing well outside North America! It's estimated at $105,500,000, which is good.

Plus, Narnia has been released during the right time; the holiday season (school's out, Christmas and New Years). The average movie rating on Yahoo! Movies is A-, which means most everyone enjoyed it. Therefore, it could have a good box office run both inside and outside the United States! I'm not going to give up hope.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

ric wrote:
Termite wrote:
ric wrote:Random comment: Liam Neeson said this: “Aslan symbolises a Christlike figure, but he also symbolises for me Mohammed, Buddha and all the great spiritual leaders and prophets over the centuries.”

These comments do decrease my appreciation of the film somewhat, although they probably shouldn't. This might have something to do, however, with the short Aslan scenes.
Um, it shouldn't. :anxious: Liam Neeson has nothing to do with Narnia, and if anyone read the books they would see how much Aslan ISN'T like the other 'gods'.
Uh...what? You do know, of course, that Liam Neeson plays Aslan? :anxious: (Yes, I know that the scripts are written with practically no input of the actors, but, just sayin'....)

Btw, in your review, you mentioned several times when you thought the Aslan parts were insufficient. That's what I was referring to.
Uh, duh. :P Of course I knew that. I've known that. He still has nothing to do with the essence and originality or Narnia which is not films but pages.

Oh... Well, they weren't short. They kept him in about as much as he was in the book. (excluding the dragon part) Otherwise he was in it as much as the book. I thought I'd made myself clear on that... *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Just about all of my friend’s and their families are going to see it or have already.
If they ask me what I thought I give them pretty much the same things I posted above, but I also encourage them to see it anyway, because I want to support the franchise, like I said.
I may not be a huge fan of this individual film, but I am definitely still behind the overall project.
I really hope this one is ‘successful’ enough to convince them to continue with The Silver Chair.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

You can read my review of "The Dawn Treader" here: \:D/

http://aio-thechangingtimes.blogspot.co ... eader.html

Feel free to give your opinion on anything I've mentioned.

Wow. I just noticed a lot of nice long posts. I'll be sure to read them.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Great review, Bennett. I rarely read long reviews like that, but you kept me interested. I have a few comments on it.

Firstly, about the "changes" to the books, I think most them were needed (specifically the seven swords/green mist plotlines). You said things along the lines of the director needing to strictly follow the book, where the characters simply find the seven lords and then Aslan's Country. Honestly, that would've been terribly boring.

To die-hard Narnia book purists, doing whatever the book says is always the way to go. To everyday people who have never read the books, I don't want to be bored. :anxious: One could say that the episodic style without much of a climax would've still translated into a good film, but I think it's better this way.

Regarding the box office disappointment, VDT's financial failure is not the film's fault. There are several factors in VDT only opening to $24 million. First of was generally bad word-of-mouth from PC. The second Narnia film opened to a pretty good number, but fell off the face of the earth after that. That almost always indicates a general disliking by the public, and means any subsequent films won't be released with as much excitement. Additionally, due to being dropped by Disney, VDT was released more than two years after PC, and that generally creates franchise fatigue. The marketing wasn't that great, either.

Most importantly, this movie wasn't released in the summer like PC. Films releases in wintertime never open as high as summer blockbusters do. For instance, the highest grossing opening weekend for a film in summer, The Dark Knight, stands at $158,411,483, while the highest winter (excluding the Harry Potter and Twilight series) is I Am Legend, which grossed $77,211,321. Generally, Christmastime films hold on better during the weekends following their initial release. Hopefully this'll be true in VDT's case! Its international numbers have been pretty good, so that's promising.

Everything I say is merely my fanboyish two cents. ;)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

American Eagle wrote:
Firstly, about the "changes" to the books, I think most them were needed (specifically the seven swords/green mist plotlines). You said things along the lines of the director needing to strictly follow the book, where the characters simply find the seven lords and then Aslan's Country. Honestly, that would've been terribly boring.

To die-hard Narnia book purists, doing whatever the book says is always the way to go. To everyday people who have never read the books, I don't want to be bored. :anxious: One could say that the episodic style without much of a climax would've still translated into a good film, but I think it's better this way.
First, thanks for reading. I agree with you to some extent. A part of me finds the changes they made somewhat interesting--and yes, they definitely makes the film feel more climactic, and more interesting for a larger audience.However, for this film,, these changes aren't merely here and there like most adaptations; you have to admit they've rewritten much more of the original story than most other films would ever dare to ever do.

I'm also very aware that this "green mist" storyline may have felt awkward simply because I was a fan of the books first. It was always difficult to get into the movie because I was so consciously disrupted by every change. I'm sure once I re-watch it, I'll enjoy it much more. The person who I was watching it with hadn't read the books and didn't think that the "green mist" storyline felt out of place. So it could have just been me.

You've noticed that I gave it a solid three and a half stars. I enjoyed the movie. However, I probably would've had a better time if they had at least taken more time to hang out and check out the sights at every island. If they had done that, I probably would have had an easier time buying into some of these bigger changes. That, after all, was the funnest part about the books; the journey, not the mission. But, yes, I understand they need to make changes to appeal to the everyday moviegoer who simply needs a climax for it to be a good film. Pitty.
American Eagle wrote:Regarding the box office disappointment, VDT's financial failure is not the film's fault. There are several factors in VDT only opening to $24 million. First of was generally bad word-of-mouth from PC. The second Narnia film opened to a pretty good number, but fell off the face of the earth after that. That almost always indicates a general disliking by the public, and means any subsequent films won't be released with as much excitement. Additionally, due to being dropped by Disney, VDT was released more than two years after PC, and that generally creates franchise fatigue. The marketing wasn't that great, either.
Debatable. Firstly, I agree with you that movies released around the holidays usually make more money over a longer period of time. This film has already been growing a tad bit (its tuesday's numbers were greater than its monday's numbers). Word of mouth seems promising. I do wonder how Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe ended up making three times as much on its opening weekend.

If I remember correctly, the reason for why Prince Caspian didn't last very long was because it was released between Indiana Jones and Iron Man (or something like that). It didn't exactly have much of a chance. Dawn Treader has "Tron"...another PG movie this upcoming weekend. We'll see how that goes. But Prince Caspian didn't exactly have negative word of mouth; it just didn't have time to shine properly due to the other films surrounding it.

And yes, I think the reason for Dawn Treader's success is partially the film's fault. Those trailers really revealed the book's changes; enough to prevent fans of book from not wanting to see it all. The filmmakers just seem really confused about who they're supposed to be making this for.

The reason for it's failure is probably a combination of it all. Let's throw in snowstorms while we're at it.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Bennett wrote:I'm also very aware that this "green mist" storyline may have felt awkward simply because I was a fan of the books first. It was always difficult to get into the movie because I was so consciously disrupted by every change. I'm sure once I re-watch it, I'll enjoy it much more. The person who I was watching it with hadn't read the books and didn't think that the "green mist" storyline felt out of place. So it could have just been me.
Which is exactly why I'm holding off on reading the books until the film series is officially finished or cancelled. ;)
Bennett wrote:You've noticed that I gave it a solid three and a half stars. I enjoyed the movie. However, I probably would've had a better time if they had at least taken more time to hang out and check out the sights at every island. If they had done that, I probably would have had an easier time buying into some of these bigger changes.
I agree! More time on the islands would've been great. The Duffelpods especially deserved more screen time. When the magic guy came on the scene, he sent them away, and they were gone so quickly. :( The filmmakers were trying to keep the running time low. Perhaps there will be an awesome extended version on DVD?
Bennett wrote:I do wonder how Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe ended up making three times as much on its opening weekend.
LWW did have a lot of hype behind it. It was pushed heavily by Christians and by the moviegoing folk as "The next Lord of the Rings." Plus, LWW is by far the most popular Narnia book. "Eragon" made a fair amount of money ($250M worldwide), but its lesser-known sequel books would've struggled to make nearly as much.
Bennett wrote:If I remember correctly, the reason for why Prince Caspian didn't last very long was because it was released between Indiana Jones and Iron Man (or something like that). It didn't exactly have much of a chance. Dawn Treader has "Tron"...another PG movie this upcoming weekend. We'll see how that goes.. But Prince Caspian didn't exactly have negative word of mouth; it just didn't have time to shine properly due to the other films surrounding it.
Somewhat, yes. It also lost a bit of its audience by its "darker" themes and more of a focus on violence. I am immensely curious to see how VDT stands against Tron. On one hand, they're both PG movies aimed at families and teenagers. But thankfully, Tron Legacy currently has only a 49% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Bennett wrote:Let's throw in snowstorms while we're at it.
Seriously. The other big movie released last week, The Tourist, really underperformed as well. It just wasn't a good weekend for movies.

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Narnia! :inlove:

Ahem...I just finished the movie. And it was just awesome. I'm not going to sit and give a long review, because I never read them anyways...:-
The green mist was a nice plot, which made the movie have an actual source of evil to it. I enjoyed how it went around 'tempting' all the people at different times. Lucy's wanting to be like Susan was rather realistic, and I was so glad we got to see Peter! :D
The effects were all really cool. I watched the transportation scene from the bedroom to Narnia over five times. I really, really, liked it. It was just so cool how Lucy went "Edmund, the painting!" and the water began flowing out. It was just so dramatic. I also enjoyed Liliandal's being a star (but why didn't Caspian get married to her?!), the sea serpent (that was freaking awesome! I mean, it was cut in half, but that happened still?!), the sword's being laid on the table and breaking the spell, and Eustace as a dragon. Epic!
And this is one of those few movies that are almost...well, all good. No swear words, no sexual content, and whatnot. I also enjoyed the ending how Aslan told them how they'd know him by another name. Good stuff...but Lucy and Edmund won't go back. :mecry: Seriously, I was almost crying by the end. But I wasn't gonna cry. :noway:
Also, on the characters briefly. Caspian--stunning and well written. I'd have crushed on him...but I won't, for hopefully obvious reasons. Jake says he should cut his hair. But Capsian without long hair wouldn't fit well. Never! Heresy! :x
Lucy--I have a mini crush on her. :inlove: Her faith in Aslan/Narnia always made me like her. And she's grown up now...really cool. I also liked her outfit for some strange reason.
Edmund--He looked a lot different, but I liked him. His clash with Caspian and the White Witch were also realistic.
Eustace--I really thought Will Poulter would stink at the job, but I was just telling Scion's Light that he really did well! He was probably one of my favorite characters. And all his lines were the best. \:D/
Drinian, the magic guy, Liliandal, and Reepicheep were all great. I loved this movie. I'm in love with Narnia more than ever. *sings*
Final rating: 9.9/10

Ooohh....that wasn't so short.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

American Eagle wrote:LWW did have a lot of hype behind it. It was pushed heavily by Christians and by the moviegoing folk as "The next Lord of the Rings." Plus, LWW is by far the most popular Narnia book. "Eragon" made a fair amount of money ($250M worldwide), but its lesser-known sequel books would've struggled to make nearly as much.
No, it would not be because of the sequel. IT WOULD BE BECAUSE NOBODY WOULD FREAKIN' GO SEE IT. There is NO way they could have made any sequels. :shrugs: The movie was NOTHING like the book, and I mean NOTHING, aside from the character's names and places.

*cough* Anyway.....
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Marvin D. wrote:I loved this movie. I'm in love with Narnia more than ever. *sings*

FINALLY someone who understands me! ;) Marvin D., you are now my friend.

The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

American Eagle wrote:
Marvin D. wrote:I loved this movie. I'm in love with Narnia more than ever. *sings*

He wasn't before? :P

I so want to see this! :mad:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Finally I have seen the movie \:D/ Not in 3D (thankfully!) but I have watched it and have mixed feelings on it...
Positive Thoughts:
It was a good movie that caught my interest right away. I love how they kept the seen with the Dumplpods (or whatever their names are :- ) so that those guys were just like they were in the book. It might have been shorter and different from how the book had it but they had their own personality \:D/
Also I love how they made Eustace. He was a good actor and protrayed Eustace pretty well. I especially love the scene where he and Reep are fighting and the slow developing friendship between the two.
The scene with Eustace transforming from a dragon back to the boy was my favorite scene since it was my favorite from the book. I'm so glad they kept it in. I was worried they wouldn't. My second favorite scene was when Reep was telling Eustace not to touch the tail.

Negative Thoughts:
I'm not too sure what I think about the whole "mist" thing and "laying the swords at the stone table"....It made for a good plot I admit. But really, the whole goal in the book was for Caspian to find the 7 lords and they took out the reason Reep chose to sail to Aslan's Country (besides his wanting to go)
Also I didn't like how they made Edmund out to be. The first movie showed him as a spoiled kid but the second movie showed him as someone who's transformed into a more mature person. Then the third movie and he's right back to being immature. He reminds me a lot of Peter from PC. He went through the same issues Peter did. I think they were mimicking themselves there :-k
Eustace and Jill are not cousins :x In fact they don't even become friends until the Silver Chair and only because Eustace discovers Jill crying and has to help save her from the bullies :x
And I'm not too sure if I like who they made the star. They kept who she was...kind of. She was a daughter of a retired star. I'm rather curious now that if they kept the whole progression of her's and Caspian's relationship since the last we saw of her was her returning to the sky....I hope so because she's suppose to marry him :yes:
I missed Caspian's accent :(

Anyways, that's my thoughts \:D/
After thinking about it I'd have to say I'd give it a 4/5 Stars. It was good...just not as good as I was hoping.
Last edited by StrongNChrist on Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The Kings Daughter wrote:
American Eagle wrote:

He wasn't before? :P

I so want to see this! :mad:
Maybe I was his enemy. :-

I think I'm going to rewatch this again. Even though they changed the plot, it was still so good. \:D/ *is tempted to start rambling again*
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

I finally got to watch this movie today, and I'm just not sure what to think. First, I've been a fan of the entire series for years, and this being my favorite book, I know this story very well. I also made a mistake in deciding last night to listen to the Radio Theater version. This sort of made the movie a little disappointing, when I started watching the movie and realized every little time that the movie pulled away from the book. I had certainly been expecting some changes, especially after what they did with Prince Caspian, but I still wasn't quite expecting this many changes.

While many people hated and complained about the many changes they made in the movie version of "Prince Caspian," I actually liked most of the changes that were made (minus
the kiss at the end.
) and thought that the changes helped make the story more interesting.

I'd hoped I could feel the same way about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Now, don't get me wrong, I really did like the movie, and I thought that many of the scenes were done well. I was just a bit disappointed in all of the changes that they felt were necessary that just didn't really seem at all necessary to me.
Really the biggest issue is the evil mist. This caused most of the changes that bothered me. This caused the man and his daughter to come aboard, this caused the entire plot to focus on the dark island and getting the seven swords. This made Coriakin know what islands lay past his, and this caused the slaves to be fed to the mist as sacrifices. All of it just made me critique every scene through the entire movie and made me sort of wish I could edit out all of the scenes that were unnecessary and put the movie back into the order of events that it should have.

Now, if I can keep rambling, this whole thing bugs me even more, because while changes from the book bug me, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that if I had never read the books,(dare I say this) I might have actually liked this new storyline better than the old one. In a sense, it gives the movie more excitement, and though I've never thought the book was boring, per se, involving the importance of getting the seven swords makes the entire voyage have more purpose. It also provides a little better reason why Aslan might have decided to bring the children to Narnia. The man and his daughter coming on board, while seemingly pointless at first, provides Lucy a female companion, and also helps Lucy mature as a character by being a mentor to this girl. If only I could erase my memory, watch this movie, and review it without bias. Then I would know whether the changes were worthwhile.
In conclusion, I've got a lot to consider about this movie. I think I need to see it again. Maybe this time I'll just take it as a good movie and not criticize every moment of it. If this is the last Narnia movie that gets made, I think it will make a decent end to this movie collection. If they end up making miraculous amounts of money over Christmas and end up making another movie, I'll be okay with that too. I'd still suggest seeing it, but go knowing a few points will disappoint fans of the books.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I saw Voyage of the Dawn Treader with my family today; we all enjoyed it. I didn't mind the changes, except I thought the green mist thing was stupid at first, but eventually didn't mind it even if I thought the whole 'dark island' thing could've been done differently. But I did like everything else; the actors, the story, the music. The actor who played Eustace was great, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the next movies, if they get made. And I must say, Edmond has become quite handsome :inlove: and Caspian was much better this time around and still cute as ever.
I really enjoyed everything about the movie. I haven't read the books for awhile or listened to the Focus on the Family Radio Theater in awhile so the details were a little lost on me, but it was such a great movie. The sea serpent was creepy looking *shudders* but the end was really cool, and the whole movie was great. Everyone should see it \:D/

Till the end of the line.