The Screwtape Letters

Upcoming production by FOTF Radio Theatre!

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I just got an email from Amazon, my copy has shipped!!
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

After hearing the drama, I think it probably should have been given a 15+ age notice on the back. A lot of the subject material is very mature.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Just got an email from Amazon. Shipment has been delayed "due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event." So it does not look like I will be getting my copies any time soon.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Also, if you look closely at the SCREWTAPE logo, you might note a unique attribute. See if you can find it. ;)
I love it when they do that. It must take ages to make it just right.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I got mine from Amazon today after all!!! Did not think it would happen!!! CBD says it is still back ordered, but it is still scheduled to ship today. How they are going to do that is beyond me, but that is CBD for you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Boswell wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:Also, if you look closely at the SCREWTAPE logo, you might note a unique attribute. See if you can find it. ;)
No kidding. That's the first time I've seen a logo that reads the same when looked at upside-down.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Boswell wrote:
No kidding. That's the first time I've seen a logo that reads the same when looked at upside-down.

That is extremely cool. :D
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I just listened to it yesterday, and really liked the whole set. The audio drama does require a bit of concentration, though--it has some very deep themes and many long monologues. Paul MucCusker has done a fantastic job with providing a bit more of an "entertainment factor" to C.S. Lewis' original work (the interaction betwen Screwtape and Wormwood is somewhat amusing at times, and the real-world "dramatic sequences" are captivating) and Andy Serkis carries his demanding role very well. The sound effects and music are top-notch--probably the best level of quality I've ever experienced in an audio drama.

And, if you're up for more listening, the set oddly enough includes ten original songs "inspired by The Screwtape Letters." These were fun to listen to, and I can imagine some people putting aside the fourth disc to listen to in their car or to put on to their MP3 players. I suppose the songs would be considered as pop or light rock songs. Two or three of them are incorporated gently into the audio drama itself, particularly "This Is a War" by Laura Michelle Kelly at the beginning (which struck me as sounding a little too modern to be incorporated into a period audio drama...). There's also a few bonus clips on disc four explaining C.S. Lewis's views on demons and how he wrote the book. Disc five (DVD) includes five 10-minute featurettes, plus the whole drama in 5.1 surround sound. The five clips are all very interesting and feel very professional. An "Easter egg" includes a promotional clip of Doug Gresham.

The whole set provides about six hours of entertainment--a real treat for audio drama fans, as long as you can enter in to the deep philosophical material that is paramount to The Screwtape Letters. Despite it being labeled as a comedy, there are relatively few laughs in this somewhat dark four-hour drama.

However, I think I disagree with Jacob about the age warning...the intensity level and scare factor of this Radio Theatre is less than most of the Father Gilbert Mysteries ("Dead Air" and "The Grey Lady" are much more disturbing than The Screwtape Letters, IMO). Yes, it's not appropriate for children, but most listeners over the age of twelve will be able to handle it.

Dave
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Just finished listening to it, and I can barely express how excellent it was to be back in the world of Radio Theatre. I can't get enough of them, and this one was completely fulfilling on all fronts.

The acting was superb, brought out even more by Paul McCusker's exceptional talent on the other side of the glass. Every line was perfectly delivered, even the long monologues you mentioned, Dave. It's tough paying attention to long periods of this at once (especially in a school residence on Friday night, those Catholics are a rowdy bunch), but the payoff for sticking with it is great. Thanks to C.S. Lewis, this is the juiciest Radio Theatre story yet, filled to overflowing with daring and revelationary observations, some of which made me sit up straight at recognizing their obvious presence in my own life. This is not a production to listen to while doing the crossword: listeners must pay every bit of attention they can spare to reap the benefits of Lewis' deep and efficiently worded insight.

The entire production has a very different feel to it than past projects, particularly where score is concerned. While John Campbell scored the entire thing, this is a serious departure from his other work. Listeners of other programs like The Last Chance Detectives or Down Gilead Lane know that Campbell's style is unique and easily identified, but not once during the entire program did I find myself thinking, "Yeah, totally John Campbell." A new and sinister sound lent a ever-dangerous air to the show, and was complimented by an eery set of sound effects (just what is Screwtape writing these letters on, becuase that is certainly not the sound of a pen and paper). Additionally, this is the first (to my knowledge) Radio Theatre presentation that does not use the familiar opening and ending theme (though careful listeners will hear something familiar about the closing few notes).

The product itself is without match. The packaging it second-to-none and certainly earns its title as "Collector's Edition." One can take nearly as much pleasure at looking at every inch of the inside and outside of the set as they can listening to it. It absolutely blows previous collections out of the water, and makes the price seem like a true bargain.

Thanks, Focus on the Family! I can't wait for your next release!
IamConnie
Gold Member

Post by IamConnie »

I finally got ahold of a copy yesterday and have been listening to it since. It's great! I'm surprised I was able to sleep last night. This will probably hold me over until album 51 comes out. BTW, where can I get ahold of the Last Chance Detectives audio series? I never heard of it until this year. I liked the movies.
They say all roads lead to Rome, and all roads lead through Indiana. But I say that in the world of Odyssey, all roads lead to Novacom.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Go here http://family.christianbook.com and do a search for "Last Chance Detectives."
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

You can find the first and third audio cases ("The Day Ambrosia Stood Still" and "Last Flight of the Dragon Lady") at CBD and Amazon.com, but unfortunately "Mystery of the Lost Voices" does not appear to be available anymore. That's a real shame as many listeners thought "Mystery of the Lost Voices" was the best audio case out of the three made.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Dave wrote:You can find the first and third audio cases ("The Day Ambrosia Stood Still" and "Last Flight of the Dragon Lady") at CBD and Amazon.com, but unfortunately "Mystery of the Lost Voices" does not appear to be available anymore. That's a real shame as many listeners thought "Mystery of the Lost Voices" was the best audio case out of the three made.
Ebay to save the day! \:D/
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

My mom brought a copy home randomly yesterday. I'd never read the books and hadn't even heard of the audio drama before, but I'd thought I'd give it a go... 30 seconds in, and I was completely hooked! AMAZING quality, the music just that bit eerie, yet tantalising, you want to hear more. And the acting! I don't pretend to know much about voice acting, but I thought it was superb. Even the cover, as someone has mentioned, is really interesting and worth seeing. Big thumbs up. :)
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I've been going through Screwtape slowly (half a disc/month slowly ;)), but I'm in no rush since the content is so rich. I've found myself more aware of the supernatural and have been convicted, edified and provoked to many a thought. Last night I listened to half a disc after turning the lights out to go to sleep... now that was creepy. :anxious: As others have raved, the quality of production and packaging are top-notch. I wholeheartedly recommend this audio version of Screwtape!