President Barack Obama's Joyride

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Is it a waste of tax payer money if President Obama takes his wife on a date in the Air-Force 1

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 35

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Johnny wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:Well, it wasn't just a joy ride. He took her to see a broadway show in New York City, but still, I think it's absolutely wastefull and unacceptable.
So the President of the United States who earnestly wishes to help America, even though many of us disagree with his ideals ;) can't take his wife on date?

How would you feel if the people your trying to help criticize you because you take your wife out on a date after you've been working non-stop to pass legislation and manage a country?
Johnny, buddy, you misunderstand. The action in question is not taking his wife on a date. He's free to do so, and given the strain such a job can put on a marriage--reportedly--I'd encourage him to do so.

No, what is in question is whether he should be using taxpayer money to do so.

The operation of Air Force One is funded through taxpayer money.

If--and I stress the word if, as it appears this story hasn't been validated--if he took her on a date on Air Force One, effectively paying for said date with taxpayer money, that is unquestionably wrong.

Another good term would be blatant corruption.

So yes, Mr. President, please spend time with your wife. Don't spend my money in doing so.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

^Yeah, that's basically my opinion. I don't care if he goes on a date, as long as he spends his own money. ;)
...I hate marquees.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Wait, has anyone confirmed he spent tax-payers money? (I do agree, J-Man. He can spend his own money, as long as it isn't ours). If you/we don't have proof, we are arguing this WHY?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Jonathan wrote:The operation of Air Force One is funded through taxpayer money.
Quoted for truth. Though, he could give us a citation... :-k (is that even the correct use of the word? :- )
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:Wait, has anyone confirmed he spent tax-payers money? (I do agree, J-Man. He can spend his own money, as long as it isn't ours). If you/we don't have proof, we are arguing this WHY?
I quote this because... wait, I'm going to rephrase it. If this story hasn't been vindicated, as Jonathan says, than how do we know he used Air Force 1? Or if he used tax-payers money if he DIDN'T... so, someone find truth this all, or this was a lousy debate, in my opinion.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I didn't open this topic before because I thought it was for a silly picture I got in an email. :anxious:

But... I'm not going to claim to know all about this from TV, but I have been watching a lot of West Wing reruns lately. ;) I also watched documentaries not long ago about Air Force One and Marine One. I'm fairly sure that the president is not at all responsible for his own transportation while in office. They use "Air Force One" because it is something that they have control over and can assure the safety of the president. Plus, even for a "date" to a Broadway show, they have to send a cavalcade of Secret Service agents. Are they really going to book a dozen flights on a commercial plane, clear everything off the plane to sweep it for anything malicious, do background screenings on all the other passengers and airport personnel, secure two entire airports, when they could simply use their own secured plane that is ready to go and has been set aside specifically for the purpose of transporting the president? That would be silly. :)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Dude. If I was president I would be like riding in submarines and stuff for no apparent reason besides...fun. \:D/

But then again, anything the president does that's not work related could be considered a waste of tax money. :anxious:
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Tyler wrote:Dude. If I was president I would be like riding in submarines and stuff for no apparent reason besides...fun. \:D/
Good luck convincing the Secret Service that that really would be "fun". \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Obama is cool. :x

ROFL at "Oh, kennedy that's a cool name."
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

His family should be his first priority, but I do think they spend too much money on the president and not enough protecting the troops in other countries and too much money in things that go against the Geneva Convention and the United Nations even thought the UN has failed.

Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

The tangential posts discussing the recession have been split to a new topic in CCDS. Please feel free to continue that discussion here. :)
random
Gold Member
Location: wherever is here at the moment of me being wherever I am

Post by random »

when you say "Tax payer dollars" does that mean the part that goes to his salary?
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

Darcie took the proverbial words, right out of my mouth!
I agree with you too Johnny.

Who else watches The West Wing? My whole family loves it! We have the entire series on DVD and have watched it at least 5 times, from beginning to end. I really like CJ, Danny, Sam, and Charlie, but I also like the others too.

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Obama=Waste of tax payers money

'nuff said.
random
Gold Member
Location: wherever is here at the moment of me being wherever I am

Post by random »

could someone answer my question?
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I'm guessing this one?
random wrote:when you say "Tax payer dollars" does that mean the part that goes to his salary?
No... by the trip being paid for by taxpayer dollars, they mean funds from tax payers. The funds are divided up to endless different places. The money for transportation and security of the president is not included in his salary. His tickets to the show, however, probably were paid by his income. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Stop the Obama hating. He's your president, it is okay to disagree just stop insulting and saying he is wasting tax payers money. He is your president not mine and I still respect him.

Johnny
Local Conspiracy theorist
Local Conspiracy theorist

Post by Johnny »

Heh well no matter what people think Obama is wasting his money which is not true... most of his forms of transportation are paid through taxes y'know ;) Would you rather him walk or drive the "Family car?"

Trust me I believe that anyone on this forum would take the Air Force One on a joyride atleast once if they were president ;)

Oooo I love West Wing :inlove: Josh Lyman, Sam Seaborn, Toby Ziegler, and CJ are some of my favorites.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

31899 wrote:Stop the Obama hating. He's your president, it is okay to disagree just stop insulting and saying he is wasting tax payers money. He is your president not mine and I still respect him.

Well, if he really is wasting taxpayers' money, then... we can logically say he is wasting taxpayers' money. That doesn't necessarily show a lack of respect.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

31899 wrote:Stop the Obama hating. He's your president, it is okay to disagree just stop insulting and saying he is wasting tax payers money. He is your president not mine and I still respect him.

Excuse me? Are you actually insinuating that we are not allowed to question economic and financial decisions made by our President or disagree with said decisions? Being critical of such things is 'hating'?

If I look at his decisions and conclude, logically, that he's wasting tax money, I will not have any qualms about saying so. Doing so is not 'hating', it's called being a rational and thinking citizen.