Macs or Windows

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

What are better?

Beautiful, Wonderful Macs!
30%
Windows.
58%
Something else
13%

Total votes: 64

Me
An original

Post by Me »

macnut24 wrote:Wow! How much money did you get for that post? You'll notice that I perfaced my list with:
macnut24 wrote:Now, I'm no expert but here are some of the reasons that I like my Mac. I'm not saying PCs can't do this stuff...they're just my reasons.
That being said. I was hesitant to even post my little list but did because rickyderocher asked. I knew that it wouldn't be long before you and WINDY would post something. But as I have said, Mac works for me! PCs work for you and I am soooo happy for you! While I disagree with a lot of what you said, that's nothing new.

Those were MY reasons based on my experience with MY Mac! But anyway, I've never cared much about your opinion when it comes to this matter. Don't worry though, I don't a agree with WINDY or PC Pro either! It's kinda a compliment. :D

A lot of my reasons were just based on preference, so prefer yours all you like. \:D/
Haha... I got the full $20 for that.

And yes... the fact that a lot of this stuff comes down to preference lately, is why I've largely backed out of Mac/PC stuff. They're both perfectly capable platforms now, that perform equally. A few years ago, that wasn't true at all, but now it's just about preference. That said, there was just too much bait in your post for me not to respond. ;) I wanted to defend my platform of choice a bit. :)

Darcie: I meant OSX. Nine was DEFINITELY far more crash prone than X is. Killed an OS9 machine 30 seconds after booting it. However, I've had no end of trouble with OSX machines as well.

Sooo... I guess I'll just go boot Linux on one of my PC's, and mess with the memory settings until it bursts into flame.... :whistle:

edit: I edited the first section to fix your quoting -Darcie
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Hmm...methinks Me lost a quote tag at the beginning of that last post as well... will edit. :)

Yeah, it does mostly come down to preference. Otherwise I'd be fighting the fight as well. But it's not worth it. Some people will always prefer one over the other. Macs are right for me. :D

Oh, and I was kinda directing my crashing comment at Windy, but that's OK. ;) I used to be able to crash OS9 all the time. That's why I almost never even start up that computer anymore. The only things I ever have a problem with OSX is third-party free software that's a bit buggy and a little overheating thing that I could get fixed, but I don't want to send the whole laptop away and be stuck with the aforementioned OS9 machine ](*,)

I'd be interested to know what it is you've been doing that's made OSX crash. :D
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I've done a bunch of stuff to crash them, but the most common are/were: iMovie, iDVD, Photoshop, Final Cut (both Pro and Express).
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

My brother crashed his Mac and I believe it was running OSX, how he did it, I still don't know.

That said, I love my Mac. :inlove:

In fact, I need to go delete so stuff off of it to free up space... yes, we used it that much. :anxious:

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

Me wrote:I've done a bunch of stuff to crash them, but the most common are/were: iMovie, iDVD, Photoshop, Final Cut (both Pro and Express).
You have Final Cut Pro? That's cool. My sis has it. If owned a desktop I'd put it on there. For now, I have to be content using it own her computer...
Me wrote:I wanted to defend my platform of choice a bit.
Yes, I understand that. The only reason I posted that in the first place was because rickyderocher asked, and I didn't like that he had said that all we Mac users said was, "HEY! Mac is better than PC!" and had no reasons for preferring Mac over PC. I have my reasons... :-

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

macnut24 wrote:
rickyderocher wrote:Ok, those are some good reasons, I guess... (I'm not so sure about number 8... Don't PC's pretty much have the same graphics? :-s Unless your talking about 3D stuff? (in which case good graphics cards can be bought for a PC for quite cheap to boost 3D rendering, etc...)
I'm not saying PC doesn't have good graphics. I'm just saying that Mac does!
Uhhh... I said list 10 reasons why MACs are BETTER than PC's... if you say that MACs and PCs both have good graphics then that's not a reason... that's like saying "hey! Macs have mouses, and keyboards, and cd drives!"
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

rickyderocher wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
rickyderocher wrote:Ok, those are some good reasons, I guess... (I'm not so sure about number 8... Don't PC's pretty much have the same graphics? :-s Unless your talking about 3D stuff? (in which case good graphics cards can be bought for a PC for quite cheap to boost 3D rendering, etc...)
I'm not saying PC doesn't have good graphics. I'm just saying that Mac does!
Uhhh... I said list 10 reasons why MACs are BETTER than PC's... if you say that MACs and PCs both have good graphics then that's not a reason... that's like saying "hey! Macs have mouses, and keyboards, and cd drives!"
Just wanna clarify, I never said PCs have good graaphics. Although they might. But I don't have enough experience with PCs to say one way or the other. A lot of the reasons were things I liked about Mac that PCs may have as well but I didn't know, because I don't spead time looking up that stuff since I'm happy with my Mac. And you said, AT LEAST ten reasons.

What are your reasons, rickyderocher? I don't believe I've ever heard why you like PCs over Mac. Of course, you don't have to post any reasons...I was just wondering.

Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

This is turning into a Town Hall debate....
beka8910
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by beka8910 »

I love my mac and have never had any problems with it. My old PC however use to get viruses all the time and I could not ever get on the internet without something going wrong. I will never go back to PC's. Macs are the way to go and I am getting a new one when I go away to college next year.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

macnut24 wrote:
Me wrote:I've done a bunch of stuff to crash them, but the most common are/were: iMovie, iDVD, Photoshop, Final Cut (both Pro and Express).
You have Final Cut Pro? That's cool. My sis has it. If owned a desktop I'd put it on there. For now, I have to be content using it own her computer...
Nope... I don't even own a Mac. But we have it at school, and I have to use it on occasion.
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
Nope... I don't even own a Mac. But we have it at school, and I have to use it on occasion.
That's neat.

WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

macnut24 wrote:
Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
That's neat.
It isn't, at least I don't think it is, to his way of thinking. :anxious:

Being forced to use a piece of junk that crashes all the time is hardly neat. ;)
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

Me wrote:5. Viruses exist. But as I've already stated, they are just MUCH harder to get. There are more viruses for PC's, in part, because they control so much of the market. Also, how many viruses are out there for Linux? How many people get them? Yeah... I thought so. Also, I don't have virus scanning software installed. And for the record, Symantec and Norton are garbage.
Except this discussion was about windows and Mac, not Linux. Linux has many good points.

As for viruses. There are no viruese for the Mac. There have been no viruses for the Mac OS in at least 10 years. Even then, there were no viruses that caused real damage.
Free Comic emailed weekly!
http://www.gumballgang.com
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

WINDSHEAR wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
Me wrote:
macnut24 wrote:
That's neat.
It isn't, at least I don't think it is, to his way of thinking. :anxious:

Being forced to use a piece of junk that crashes all the time is hardly neat. ;)
I give up on you WINDY. ](*,)

WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

jim wrote:
Me wrote:5. Viruses exist. But as I've already stated, they are just MUCH harder to get. There are more viruses for PC's, in part, because they control so much of the market. Also, how many viruses are out there for Linux? How many people get them? Yeah... I thought so. Also, I don't have virus scanning software installed. And for the record, Symantec and Norton are garbage.
Except this discussion was about windows and Mac, not Linux. Linux has many good points.

As for viruses. There are no viruese for the Mac. There have been no viruses for the Mac OS in at least 10 years. Even then, there were no viruses that caused real damage.
That's not true... there were viruses and such for Macs, they are just rarer. I myself happen to have a couple of trojans for using on Macs sitting on my computer. :roll: I thought they were kinda interesting \:D/

macnut24 wrote:
WINDSHEAR wrote:It isn't, at least I don't think it is, to his way of thinking. :anxious:

I give up on you WINDY. ](*,)
That's good :badgrin:

\:D/
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener:
sniper
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by sniper »

If I was given the choice of either a mac or a windows machine I would chose the windows machine every time because the only thing that sucks more than windows is a mac.
jim
Processing

Post by jim »

WINDSHEAR wrote: As for viruses. There are no viruese for the Mac. There have been no viruses for the Mac OS in at least 10 years. Even then, there were no viruses that caused real damage.
That's not true... there were viruses and such for Macs, they are just rarer. I myself happen to have a couple of trojans for using on Macs sitting on my computer. :roll: I thought they were kinda interesting \:D/[/quote]

There WERE, as I said several viruses for the Mac, 10 years ago The number of viruses were in single digits. TEN YEARS AGO.

In that time, how many viruses, let's narrow it down and say destructive viruses for windows have there been?

How many right now for the currently sold OS for Windows?

According to the register - all total there are 60,000 viruses for Windows, and 40 all total for the Mac.

That's total. 40. None for the last 5 major upgrades of the OS and it may be as far back as 7 major upgrades, over 10 years.

You can jump up and and down you can do whatever, the fact of the matter remains the Mac OS is a safer and more secure OS.

Is it the best out there, no.

Will it be compromised at some point, certainly.

At this point in time does a Mac owner need to worry about viruses, no.

Should a Mac user be lazy and be sloppy with their computer use, no.

I'll stick with my Macs. They work, I can concentrate on what I want to do and now how I have to do it.

I open the box and it has everything I need (except for photoshop). If windows works for you, great, but or assemble a windows machine. If linux is your thing, great, run linux.
Free Comic emailed weekly!
http://www.gumballgang.com
Live DrawingCam! http://www.kidstimestudio.com/drawingcam
sniper
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by sniper »

If I remember correctly there where a couple of viruses for mac released last year...
Macnut

Post by Macnut »

jim wrote:
WINDSHEAR wrote:
jim wrote: As for viruses. There are no viruese for the Mac. There have been no viruses for the Mac OS in at least 10 years. Even then, there were no viruses that caused real damage.
That's not true... there were viruses and such for Macs, they are just rarer. I myself happen to have a couple of trojans for using on Macs sitting on my computer. :roll: I thought they were kinda interesting \:D/
There WERE, as I said several viruses for the Mac, 10 years ago The number of viruses were in single digits. TEN YEARS AGO.

In that time, how many viruses, let's narrow it down and say destructive viruses for windows have there been?

How many right now for the currently sold OS for Windows?

According to the register - all total there are 60,000 viruses for Windows, and 40 all total for the Mac.

That's total. 40. None for the last 5 major upgrades of the OS and it may be as far back as 7 major upgrades, over 10 years.

You can jump up and and down you can do whatever, the fact of the matter remains the Mac OS is a safer and more secure OS.

Is it the best out there, no.

Will it be compromised at some point, certainly.

At this point in time does a Mac owner need to worry about viruses, no.

Should a Mac user be lazy and be sloppy with their computer use, no.

I'll stick with my Macs. They work, I can concentrate on what I want to do and now how I have to do it.

I open the box and it has everything I need (except for photoshop). If windows works for you, great, but or assemble a windows machine. If linux is your thing, great, run linux.
Yeah, I personally don't care how many viruses are supposedly out there for Mac because over the years with the ten Macs we have owned I've never had any problems with viruses or the Mac not working like it should. I mean, sure, over the years Mac has had it's issues but it works.

I think we've all came to a point where we're realizing that we're not going to change each other's minds when it comes to this issue. So, for me, it doesn't really matter what experiences you have had with your Mac because I haven't had those problems. Mac does what I need it to do when I need it to do it and I don't have to worry about it not working or viruses or anything. So, yeah, like jim, I'll stick with my Mac.

Plus, Apples has the most hilarious commercials! Even if you think that they're wrong or lying or whatever you think when you see them they ARE funny. Have you seen 'em, jim?

Check them out sometime, if you haven't seen them.

sniper
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by sniper »

macnut24 wrote:Yeah, I personally don't care how many viruses are supposedly out there for Mac because over the years with the ten Macs we has owned I've never had any problems with viruses or the Mac not working like it should. I mean, sure, over the years Mac has had it's issues but it works.
In the years I've been running windows I've never had a virus, And my windows machine Is also perfectly stable, I can't even remember when it last crashed Its so stable(except when I used It how It SHOULDN'T be used.)