The Hobbit: That Christopher Tolkien Did Not Like

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:It basically screams, "Look, we're still shamelessly recycling everything you loved about LotR, except with brighter colors and more fakery!"
What else would they say? They’ve been promoting these from the beginning as ‘more LotR’ to grab in the audiences that got swept away by the original films.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

bookworm wrote:
Jelly wrote:It basically screams, "Look, we're still shamelessly recycling everything you loved about LotR, except with brighter colors and more fakery!"
What else would they say? They’ve been promoting these from the beginning as ‘more LoTR’ to grab in the audiences that got swept away by the original films.
..which was a smart marketing move, but an unfortunate insult to the spirit of Tolkien's themes and ideals. It ensures that Hollywood will rake in the dollars for a time, after which the movies themselves will quietly fade out of memory.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Indeed. It's exactly what should have been expected from this, but that doesn't make it less of a disappointment.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I'm concerned mostly about Tauriel; it appears she may be an unfortunate problem. All the other faults I'm perfectly capable of ignoring lol.

I especially liked the quick bit with Thorin and Bilbo at the end. It looks like we're going to get the violent rage I was hoping for when Thorin discovers he gave the Arkenstone to his "enemies." \:D/ And Smaug of course sounds as amazing as I knew he would. :inlove:
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

At least Termite and Aeva agree with me about Smaug \:D/

...maybe I shouldn't reread the book. It'll only make me more disappointed

Till the end of the line.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I want to cry. They've ruined The Hobbit. Completely.
*insert provocative quote here*
The Scribbler
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Post by The Scribbler »

I hated The Hobbit. I'm a journalist not a movie critic, but it was too long, too loud, and the acting was AWFUL.

Part two will be worse than part one I'm afraid.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

I have to make one other observation before I leave you haters to wallow in your hate. :noway:

The way Bilbo covers his mouth with his hand when he finds the Ring again (I'm assuming he lost it somewhere) was almost identical to the way John Watson covers his mouth in "The Hounds of Baskerville" when he sees the hound haha.
Last edited by Aeva on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Aeva wrote:I have to make one other observation before I leave you haters to wallow in your hate. :noway:

The way Bilbo covers his mouth with his hand when he finds the Ring again (I'm assuming he lost it somewhere) was almost identical to the way John Watson covers his mouth in "The Hounds of Baskerville" when he sees the hound haha.
Cool observation! .....I need to see that episode again.

Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Aeva wrote:The way Bilbo covers his mouth with his hand when he finds the Ring again (I'm assuming he lost it somewhere) was almost identical to the way John Watson covers his mouth in "The Hounds of Baskerville" when he sees the hound haha.
You lovely fangirl, you! :inlove: That is awesome.
*insert provocative quote here*
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Only my sister. xD

SO. I detailed my thoughts out about this trailer, finally... heh. Be warned, there are spoilers if you do not know/remember the book. :P
This movie, while it will be an epic masterpiece with the sweeping scenery shots I gawk at, is no longer The Hobbit to me. They've crossed the line of change and tweaking, I fear. This is my reasoning from my initial reaction (ordered as such) and other things added from a second.
  • 1: The elves have nothing to do with them retaking the mountain. In fact, they want nothing to do with the dwarves period and only go to the mountain later on because they want it. Haha.
    2. There's no romance. None. Period. Not with Kili, and DEFINITELY not with MY Legolas. Haha. Either way it's rubbish.
    3. Tauriel in general is becoming too much. They should've left her out and not worried about being too sexist without any strong female character. Fact of the matter: there isn't in the Hobbit. And that's okay.
    4. Barrels out of Bond is TOTALLY screwed up, and that's one of my favorite parts. Bilbo is all sneaky and awesome and it's a funny ride into Dale. I understand their heads being out; that could have allowed for some funny dialogue, but no elves chasing. Pleeeeease.
    5. The elves don't fight off the spiders. Hopefully that's unrelated to Bilbo's prancing and dancing and singing, but even then that's still unneeded. The elves really don't need this much action. It's called "The Hobbit" for a reason.
    6. The elves shouldn't fight at all... no, it's not "their" fight. They only want to fight to get the mountain once Smaug pops off. They don't have this big of a role to play, and my hopes for the dwarves interrupting their merry-making grow strangely dim.
    7. Biblo is not seen by Smaug, nor does Smaug attack Bilbo straight up. It's a 'battle of wits', with thankfully no Sicilian nearby. He has the ring for a reason, and he's smart enough to use it. He's not completely a blubbering fool anymore. They could have reworked the 'ring world' and made it possible to see everything that's going on. Who knows? Maybe it got worse as Sauron got stronger?
    8. There's too much on the Necromancer... I was initially intrigued the way they added that in to the first part, but now it's too much. This isn't the straight up prequel to the Lord of the Rings. It's the story that started it, and it's supposed to be a fun, bouncy thing like a skip across Middle Earth in a way. Yes, it has its moments of fright, but it's such a whimsical tale. I still find the first one to be excellent, same as I did 'Prince Capsian', but they crossed the line.
    9. The Eye? Really? No.
    10. Beorn does not attack the company. They stumble and stagger in and it's absolutely hysterical. He does look pretty cool, though, if that is him. Maybe it's a rogue bear, but... I doubt it.
    11. Stiiiiill problems with Thorin/Bilbo? Eek.
But to be nice, here are some pluses:
  • 1. Legolas' face... though I really only wanted to see him drunk at one of the Party King's shindigs in the middle of the forest.
    2. Dale looks very well done, and the bit of the attack looks smokin'.
    3. The only, ONLY reason I will pay money to see this movie at full price, maybe even 3D (yes, because it will effect how I hear things... heh...)... Benedict Cumberbatch. Ay yi yi. Just gets me even more excited for Sherlock season 3.
All in all, I'm sorely disappointed. More so now that I've seen the trailer again... I will go see it, merely because I am attached to Tolkien, but I will repeat myself: this is no longer The Hobbit book I know and love. It's Hollywood's under-appreciation of a marvelous story that is because of how it was written and all that's in it. It didn't need to be dramatized so ridiculously. Peter Jackson, you failed.
Last edited by Termite on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Termite wrote:Only my sister. xD
O:)

I'm a shameless fangirl; I can't help it. (Hobblock is also my favorite cross-over, which possibly had something to do with it lol. And yes, I did just make that name up on the spot, in case you were wondering. I don't know what the proper name is, if it even has one.)
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Aeva wrote:

I'm a shameless fangirl; I can't help it. (Hobblock is also my favorite cross-over, which possibly had something to do with it lol. And yes, I did just make that name up on the spot, in case you were wondering. I don't know what the proper name is, if it even has one.)
I don't think it has a proper name. you created an original fandom mash-up name \:D/

I'm going to try and reserve judgment till I see the movie. this may be a case of needing to view the movies and books as different entities so I can enjoy each one as they are

Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Shennifer wrote:
Aeva wrote:

I don't think it has a proper name. you created an original fandom mash-up name \:D/

I'm going to try and reserve judgment till I see the movie. this may be a case of needing to view the movies and books as different entities so I can enjoy each one as they are
Yay. \:D/

That's the way I feel about it. After coming to terms with the fact that the Azog story line was going to continue (which really bothered me at first), I divorced the films from the book. I would be just as upset as the others if I were still trying to view the films as a revelation of the original spirit of J.R.R Tolkien's masterpiece, but I have reached the point where I have chosen to consider the films to be an adaptation of one of my favorite books.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

Aeva wrote:
Shennifer wrote:
Aeva wrote:
Termite wrote:Only my sister. xD[/quot

but I have reached the point where I have chosen to consider the films to be an adaptation of one of my favorite books.
Completely agree. I have my complaints about the first one, namely cgi and the Azog storyline but absolutely loved the outside material they included, White Council, and High Fells. Looks like overabundance of cgi will be the problem again in this next one but I have to reserve judgement until I see it. For me, it looks like this trilogy will be good but not great.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I almost didn't even bother watching this most recent trailer (frankly, I get them all mixed up), but I did and it surprised me. The first part of it, at least, exercises enough patience to make us believe it might be half decent. All the other trailers I've seen seem to be more interested in bombarding audiences with colorful montages as quickly and senselessly as possible.

..still filled with expository dialogue and an elf chick that nobody wants to see, but hey, it might not be all bad after all.
Looks like overabundance of cgi will be the problem again in this next one
That was never the problem. Maybe a little annoying (looking at you white orc), but not the problem. You can't blame cardboard character development and unfortunate storytelling priorities on the graphics team. They work hard to do their job thank you very much. ;)
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:You can't blame cardboard character development and unfortunate storytelling priorities on the graphics team.
He wasn’t. (From my understanding.) The criticism wasn’t of the cgi itself, but that it was used so abundantly. In place of character development and better storytelling.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

bookworm wrote:
Jelly wrote:You can't blame cardboard character development and unfortunate storytelling priorities on the graphics team.
He wasn’t. (From my understanding.) The criticism wasn’t of the cgi itself, but that it was used so abundantly. In place of character development and better storytelling.
CGI doesn't tell a story. Characters tell a story. If the white orc had been a real actor wearing makeup, his character would have been just as lame.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Of course, but again, that’s not what he was getting at if I understood him correctly.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Even if it does stink, I will still pay money to hear Benedict Cumberbatch speak.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein