preferences in eyeglasses

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

preferences in eyeglasses

Post by bookworm »

This is a question for those of you who wear glasses. Are you picky about the frames you use, or do you just use whatever?

I first got glasses several years ago and had a hard time choosing my frames because glasses just don’t look good on me at all. I finally settled on a frame that was very minimal, small lenses and no unnecessary coating or anything, just very basic. They still don’t look good, but they don’t look bad either. They’re just tolerable.
I have become very attached, for lack of a better word, to those frames and they are the only kind I will wear. When it came time to replace them the first time I was able to get them again.
But I recently had to replace them a third time, and I had gone to a different optometrist this time. I got my new prescription, but they didn’t have those frames. I had to have them send the prescription to my original optometrist and get the glasses there because they have my frames.

That made me wonder if I’m the only one like that. My mom and brother both just got new glasses, and they both got frames that are completely different from their previous ones. I can’t do that. I finally warmed up to the glasses I have, and I’m firmly unwilling to change them.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Mine are very similar to the ones before, but not identical.

I hate having to change glasses types too.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I wear contacts regularly, but I have a pair of glasses as well. I wear them mostly in the evenings, but also on those occasional days when I just feel like slapping 'em on \:D/

I selected my glasses primarily based on the price ;) They really needed to be inexpensive.
I also wanted them to look nice on my face :p They had to comfortable and easy to put on/remove.

In the end, I chose a pair that look exactly like David Tennant's :inlove: I could not be more pleased with them. They're black-rimmed and utterly awesome. Comfortable, affordable, and cute \:D/ (Wow, I'm such a girl.) I'll try to post a picture sometime, but I actually have to take one first :p
*insert provocative quote here*
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm picky about my frames. I only get metal and gold or silver, never plastic. Small frames also look the best on me.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

I've had pretty much every kind of frame. I just pick whatever they have that I can afford and like best.
My favorite was a partially rimless pair. It had a gold rim above the lens, and nothing on the sides and bottom of the lens. The arms were light brown, with about 6 small "diamond" squares. They were so cute! ;)
There's a picture somewhere in the picture thread...
Last edited by Mimi on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

I usually prefer to wear contacts as well. But when I wear glasses I prefer my thick, plastics framed Ray-bans. Nothing else looks good on me:p

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I always wear glasses. At the moment, they're rectangular wire-rims that I like pretty well. But I kind of want to get hipster glasses sometime. :p
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've gone for the same general look, but no, I'm not attached to an exact pair of frames. My glasses store has so many choices, but I really don't like very many of them. :P I like more of a rectangular shape and plain/silvery colors...not loud, wild styles.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
In the end, I chose a pair that look exactly like David Tennant's :inlove: I could not be more pleased with them. They're black-rimmed and utterly awesome. Comfortable, affordable, and cute \:D/ (Wow, I'm such a girl.) I'll try to post a picture sometime, but I actually have to take one first :p
I definitely approve of your glasses \:D/

I have glasses without any sort of rim, and I like that they blend better than they would with frames or rims. I used to wear contacts...but as I kept running late to class or just didn't get enough sleep, I'd opt for glasses more and more, so now that's basically what I wear. (I may sometime slowly ease back into wearing contacts, but I've had trouble with a lot of different kinds getting dried out easily, and so glasses were the logical, less stressful choice for me :) )

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The only frames that look good on me are cat-eye ones... the first pair I got had this stupid white swirly thing on them because I hadn't been able to see what it was when I had tried them on. Heh.

The ones I currently have are wider than my face and black, with polka dots on the inside. \:D/ I love them. I'm also planning on hanging onto them for as long as possible because last I checked Wal-Mart didn't have them anymore. *sigh*
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I actually just got back from an appointment and really wanted to keep my current ones, but they were just too beat up. As this is I think my fourth or fifth pair in around seven years I definitely notice every little change. But I found a pair enough like the current ones so that it shouldn't be a big deal.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Knight Fisher wrote:I actually just got back from an appointment and really wanted to keep my current ones, but they were just too beat up.
To clarify, when I say the same frames, I don’t mean the same actual ones I’ve had. Each time I’ve replaced my glasses I’ve gotten new physical frames, but they are the exact same brand and style.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

My newest set of glasses... \:D/
Attachments
248446_10151098175898687_411003869_n-001.jpg
248446_10151098175898687_411003869_n-001.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

LOL at you cropping out just your eyes. C'MON MAN!
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

EK wrote:LOL at you cropping out just your eyes. C'MON MAN!
LOL, the funny thing is... when I saw you were the most recent one to post I was like "Oooh, I know EK is gonna be on me about cropping my eyes!"
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Trivia tidbit: My glasses are actually in a so-called women's frame.
I don't know how glasses can be male or female though, besides the color. I get them in pewter and they look pretty gender neutral to me.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Baragon is being enigmatic again. :(
But they are nice glasses, so whatever...

My current glasses are called "Tina Fey" for reason which probably don't require explanation. ;)
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I'm not picky about my frames...at the moment I have just plain black.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Here are my brand new glasses. I picked them up yesterday.

Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

Those are nice bookworm.
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image