Negativity

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Steve
No way I broke the window

Negativity

Post by Steve »

Okay, so I've been looking around at the Odyssey fan web sites and I've noticed something: Except for a few, the fans of Odyssey are getting increasingly negative about the show. I mean, even pre-hiatus, there are a lot of people who give/gave every single stinking episode a bad review. I think Odyssey fans need to go back and listen to all of the shows about accepting change. These writers rock, don't complain about every new thing they do. :noway:
he/him | a little stinker.
Monty
A great mapmaker

Post by Monty »

I agree with the above sentiment to a degree. However, I can understand why the people who have been listening almost all of their lives are disconcerted about the new changes coming to Odyssey
It's been awhile, hasn't it?
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Steve wrote:Okay, so I've been looking around at the Odyssey fan web sites and I've noticed something: Except for a few, the fans of Odyssey are getting increasingly negative about the show. I mean, even pre-hiatus, there are a lot of people who give/gave every single stinking episode a bad review. I think Odyssey fans need to go back and listen to all of the shows about accepting change. These writers rock, don't complain about every new thing they do. :noway:
Album 51 was by far the worst album. I think they should have skipped and gone straight to 52, but that is my opinion. So negativity after the hiatus in my opinion is expected. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if you do not like it that is okay. Perhaps their point of view has some merit, just as I will rethink if I am being too negative I suggest you rethink if others are actually being negative, or their is something more.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m not negative! :D
But I haven’t heard anything since Album 46. :anxious:
They aren’t on the radio anymore where I am and I don’t have the time to follow it any other way. :(
Hopefully one day I’ll catch up, but I don’t know when that will be.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Album 49 was awesome, bookworm. I don't always want to be negative, but all the changes are SAD. :(

\:D/
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Strangely enough, I liked album 51 better than album 52. The Jubilee Singers was a fantastic finish and a 3-parter. Grandma's Christmas Visit was a nice finish, but not enough to redeem the rest of the predictable episodes. I came to Odyssey as an adult but never felt like it was 'dumbed down' for kids until the relaunch. Now it is beginning to remind me of Jungle Jam and Patch the Pirate. Don't get me wrong, I like those, but it's a different 'class' of radio show. I hate to see Odyssey lose it's high standard. In that respect, I think DGL did a good thing, they stopped producing when they ran out of story and the actors began to be inaccessible due to life circumstance. I have high hopes for Album 53 and 54. But then again, maybe that's the problem. We have so many high quality episodes and albums to compare that the new writers are having trouble finding their way.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I wonder if the writers think that with video games and cartoons bouncing here and there that children aren't going to be interested in Odyssey without those things being incorporated. I don't know. A little eight year-old friend of mine has just started to listen (with understanding) to Odyssey and she loves it. The only thing is she's been listening to older albums. I don't know what she would think of the new stories. She did get a little frightened with the Twighlight Zone on "Better Late Than Never". Two of her favorite episodes seem to be "The Triangled Web" and "Pet Peeves". Now, what does that tell you? She is right in the age category of 8-12 year olds and her favorite stories are the ones about teens and adults that are about normal life issues. I still listen to Odyssey even at 29, but shudder of stories like "Wooten's Broken Pencil Show" and "A Thankstaking Story". They hardly make sense. BTV was kind of goofy at times, but was still understandable. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.

I do agree with jennifertwt that I liked "The Jubilee Singers". There again, like I've said before, it only involves one or two Odyssey characters not six at a time. I did like "The Malted Milkball Falcon" (did I say that right?). It involved several children, but that kind of a fund-raiser would. There were actually some humerous lines too.
Last edited by Samitude on Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Pet Peeves is one of my all time favorites! I thought the Malted Milkball Fountain was disappointing. I hated A Thankstaking Story, but loved A Thanksgiving Carol, which used the same premise, a parody of a well-knwon Christmas tale. So, was the writing better in general, or is A Christmas Carol better than The Grinch to begin with? I agree that one or two kids per episode is enough but then I love Chores no More which involves alot of kids, but you know them by then.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

jennifertwt wrote:Strangely enough, I liked album 51 better than album 52. The Jubilee Singers was a fantastic finish and a 3-parter. Grandma's Christmas Visit was a nice finish, but not enough to redeem the rest of the predictable episodes.
You know, I actually agree. I really did enjoy 51 better. I think.

I wonder if anyone else agrees with that though... :-k
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I liked Album 52 more, but I LOOOVED the Jubilee Singers! I'm a very musical person, and a jazzy musical person at that! I think that may've been my favorite history episode. I even got my Jazz Band teacher to have us listen to some of it for Jazz History, IN CLASS!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent