Blackgaard or Novacom?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which saga did you like better: Blackgaard or Novacom?

Blackgaard
57%
Novacom
21%
I liked them both the same.
23%

Total votes: 53

Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

AIOaddict1988 wrote:Novacom was longer and had a lot more depth. Overall I liked Novacom better. I also think it did a better job of working spiritual issues into the saga...
I'd have to disagree there:
Novacom was longer and had a lot more depth.
No... Novacom may have had more episodes, but DBD stretched out for almost 10 years. Plus, the references were subtly tucked into other slice of life episodes, making it really fun and exciting to go back and be able to scream hysterically and say, "That's HIM!!! Glossman's talking to MY husband on the phone! Oh my gosh! That is so cool! How come I never noticed that before?" ;-)
I also think it did a better job of working spiritual issues into the sage...
I'm surprised to hear that, because the 'sprituality' in Novacom always felt extremely tacked-on. While DBD showed the absolute need for prayer in a spiritual battle (in a very natural way, I thought), it felt like FotF went with their old 'fall-back' in Novacom by saying, "oh, the message was about how good triumphs over evil." If that's the case, then Harry Potter or even gory Horror movies could be classified as Christian. :-s
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Rachael wrote:
Novacom was longer and had a lot more depth.
No... Novacom may have had more episodes, but DBD stretched out for almost 10 years. Plus, the references were subtly tucked into other slice of life episodes, making it really fun and exciting to go back and be able to scream hysterically and say, "That's HIM!!! Glossman's talking to MY husband on the phone! Oh my gosh! That is so cool! How come I never noticed that before?" ;-)
^ Same here...except for the husband part. ;) It took me next to forever to catch that Dr. Blackgaard says the exact same line about his next endeavour in "Waylaid in the Windy City" as part later describes for the Electric Palace in "A Rathbone of Contention." It's things like this that make the Blackgaard saga so great for me - the way that all the little pieces end up fitting together.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

hard to sya but

easy to type Blackaard
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Catspaw wrote: ^ Same here...except for the husband part. ;) It took me next to forever to catch that Dr. Blackgaard says the exact same line about his next endeavour in "Waylaid in the Windy City" as part later describes for the Electric Palace in "A Rathbone of Contention." It's things like this that make the Blackgaard saga so great for me - the way that all the little pieces end up fitting together.
He does?! :shock: What do they say?
Smushed and Spicy! \:D/

I really need to change my avatar...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Applesauce wrote:
Catspaw wrote: ^ Same here...except for the husband part. ;) It took me next to forever to catch that Dr. Blackgaard says the exact same line about his next endeavour in "Waylaid in the Windy City" as part later describes for the Electric Palace in "A Rathbone of Contention." It's things like this that make the Blackgaard saga so great for me - the way that all the little pieces end up fitting together.
Dr. Blackgaard tells Connie that he's going to start a business that will provide every conceivable electronic device for every conceivable need, or something along that line. It's the same slogan for the Electric Palace that Bart says when the Electric Palace is being built. I find it interesting, since it shows that the thing about Dr. Blackgaard owning the Electric Palace was clearly not a decision made when the "Darkness Before Dawn" set was being written - it was made years before that!
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Blackgaard! Novacom is quite cool too, but the plot isn't as good. And is it just me or does the CEO of Novacom sound like a geek? Anyway, he can't compare to Blackgaard and his evil laugh! :D
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

:inlove: I LOVE his laugh....

*swoons*
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I like Novacom alot better. I don't really know why... i just do.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

ObiWan Kenobi Girl wrote:I like Novacom alot better. I don't really know why... i just do.
Ja mon! I agree wid ya!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

rickyderocher wrote:Blackgaard! Novacom is quite cool too, but the plot isn't as good. And is it just me or does the CEO of Novacom sound like a geek? Anyway, he can't compare to Blackgaard and his evil laugh! :D
Heh...I had a friend who believed that The Chairman from Novacom was actually Dr. Blackgaard who hadn't really died. He said they "sounded exactly the same." I was like: "no...not quite..."

Thinking back on it, the Blackgaard saga really did have a much more personal plot (Glossman shutting down Whit's End still sends shivers down my spine). Also, I was originally thinking of the saga as just Darkness Before Dawn. Thinking of the entire storyline as a whole, it was probably slightly better overall. However, in case you forget the Chairman's ominous last words, the Novacom/Andromeda saga isn't over yet. I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to do with the "cloning" comment made in The Case of the Disappearing Horton's!

Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Applesauce wrote: I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to do with the "cloning" comment made in The Case of the Disappearing Horton's!
I don't remember the comment that you're referring to - did it seem like it tied in to the Novacom stuff? What did they say? :-k Or do you just mean Jared's stuff? *wants to relisten to that ep now*
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Catspaw wrote:
Applesauce wrote:
Dr. Blackgaard tells Connie that he's going to start a business that will provide every conceivable electronic device for every conceivable need, or something along that line. It's the same slogan for the Electric Palace that Bart says when the Electric Palace is being built. I find it interesting, since it shows that the thing about Dr. Blackgaard owning the Electric Palace was clearly not a decision made when the "Darkness Before Dawn" set was being written - it was made years before that!
It's also interesting to point out that in "A Rathbone of Contention," Bart Rathbone is running around in a frenzy to get the building inspection ready, and in one scene he is discussing the building project on the phone with an unknown person. Bart acts all nervous as if he doesn't feel confident in what he is saying. It can be inferred that Dr. Blackgaard is on the other end of the line.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

JacobIsom wrote: It's also interesting to point out that in "A Rathbone of Contention," Bart Rathbone is running around in a frenzy to get the building inspection ready, and in one scene he is discussing the building project on the phone with an unknown person. Bart acts all nervous as if he doesn't feel confident in what he is saying. It can be inferred that Dr. Blackgaard is on the other end of the line.
Or at least a henchman, like Philip Glossman. I love little tie-ins like that! \:D/
wooton_bassett
OK

Post by wooton_bassett »

It's hard for me to choose, but I'd say Blackgaard because the people of Odyssey have long ties with him whereas Novacom just springs up. But one thing I like better about Novacom is that Whit was in Odyssey at the time, unlike with Blackgaard.
"I'm a neat freak and a toy geek. Rarely do the two go together but I guess I'm the exception."
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

The Wardrobe wrote:
Applesauce wrote: I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to do with the "cloning" comment made in The Case of the Disappearing Horton's!
I don't remember the comment that you're referring to - did it seem like it tied in to the Novacom stuff? What did they say? :-k Or do you just mean Jared's stuff? *wants to relisten to that ep now*
I don't remember the exact context, but when Jared and Mandy first talked to the two old comedians (I forget their names), the topic of Novacom came up, and the two men started talking about all they'd heard about the company. One of them mentioned Novacom doing some sort of cloning, and Jared replied, "Hmm...I didn't know about the cloning." But it was just a passing comment and then they jumped right along to the next topic. It could just be me, but I kinda doubt that the AIO writers would throw that into an episode and then wave it off as nothing if they didn't intend to do something with it eventually.

fatlooy
Sing in the sunshine

Post by fatlooy »

I'm not shere but i think i liked blackgaard better bc the hole Novacom thing went on to long.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

While re listening to Applesauce, Blackgaard acted like he only wanted Appleauce. He does not mention anything about a mineral. Did he always want the mineral ? I guess he just didnt tell Richard all, and Applesuace was his top priority at the time.

I wonder how he knew about Applesauce.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

That's easy: the Blackgaard saga!

All I can say to the people who've pointed out all the little tie-ins, the fact that it's more personal, and its longevity is yes, yes, YES! Tom finally forgiving Richard Maxwell, Eugene's salvation...there were just so many things that we'd all been waiting literally years for, which made DBD all the more satisfying. Since no one's mentioned Butch, I thought I would. He isn't a huge character, but I love bad-to-good characters, and how his earlier introduction suddenly made sense.

Now, I have nothing against Novacom. To be honest, when those albums were coming out, I wasn't listening to the new Odysseys anymore because I was negative about the changes and new characters and such (but that's another story). anyway, I remember we got Danger Signals and Countermoves to listen to on a trip, and me, not even knowing there was this big saga going on, was glued to my seat (not that I had anywhere else to go, being in the car and all lol)!

I might add that I don't remember too well DBD's coming out, but listening to it now, it is so much more emotional and real! (Mitch's "death" and Connie's reaction is an exception, though). Eugene and Katrina got married in the Novacom saga, sure, but their dialogue was cut-and-pasted from previous episodes. So, Novacom seems to me to be overlong, tacked-on, and somewhat forced, but I still like it a lot. It could NEVER compare to the Blackgaard Saga though!

Whew, I didn't mean to write that much! Well, thanks to whoever read all of that.

P.S. The Applesauce use in "Exit" wasn't a big deal for me - I didn't think Whit lied or anything - but it seemed out of place.