Blackgaard or Novacom?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which saga did you like better: Blackgaard or Novacom?

Blackgaard
57%
Novacom
21%
I liked them both the same.
23%

Total votes: 53

Conniepaw
Smile for the camera

Blackgaard or Novacom?

Post by Conniepaw »

i liked them both, what did you think?
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I like Blackguard better. It seems funner. Novacom, well, that is my sister's favorite, but she likes the Darkness Before Dawn album, so she may like both. I am just the one with all the albums. She doesn't buy them. I get them so that I can hear them, and she lsitenes to them form time to time. I just love the Blackguard saga! SO much fun!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I don't think you can choose, not with them being so intertwined in each other. I mean, EVERYONE knows that Mr. Charles stole that technology from Regis.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

*is pleased with the results so far*
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

It's really hard to decide... I can't vote... ;)
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I think they're different so I can't really say I like one over the other. Blackgaard has always seemed to me a bit cartoonish. But it was the first time Odyssey had done something like this. Novacom had a subtler nastyness to it.
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

Darkness Before Dawn all the way! :x

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Rachael wrote:I don't think you can choose, not with them being so intertwined in each other. I mean, EVERYONE knows that Mr. Charles stole that technology from Regis.
And from whom did Regis steal it?
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I totally agree with Dawning . . . the Blackgaards are small fry compared to the world-wide domination plans of Novacom. Brainwashing? Come on now, Regis was just obsessed with clay under Whit's End. . . he can't really compare to the master minds @ Novacom.

I loved how the Novacom saga was spread over more parts of the world, into Alaska and such. Invovled a lot more people as well! With The Battle and The Nemesis, we see Richard M, Reggy B, Lucy, Connie, Whit, Eugene . . . and that's about it isn't it? Oh, we see Tom too. But Novacom was much larger scale and had more characters within it.
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Kris Doyle
Still standing tall

Post by Kris Doyle »

Pepper Doyle wrote:I totally agree with Dawning . . . the Blackgaards are small fry compared to the world-wide domination plans of Novacom. Brainwashing? Come on now, Regis was just obsessed with clay under Whit's End. . . he can't really compare to the master minds @ Novacom.

I loved how the Novacom saga was spread over more parts of the world, into Alaska and such. Invovled a lot more people as well! With The Battle and The Nemesis, we see Richard M, Reggy B, Lucy, Connie, Whit, Eugene . . . and that's about it isn't it? Oh, we see Tom too. But Novacom was much larger scale and had more characters within it.
But Darkness Before Dawn was part of the Blackgaard saga, as well, and it included Philip Glossman, Professor Bovril, Bart and Rodney Rathbone, Jellyfish, and the Bones of Rath. Besides, Regis was obsessed with that mineral in the Whit's End tunnel because he wanted to produce TA-418 and make the ruku virus unstoppable. That could have involved the whole world if he would have succeeded, just as Novacom's plans would have had global effects.
God bless you, in Jesus' name!!!! :D
"Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)
Visit the website of my home church: http://www.freshanointingupc.org
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Pepper Doyle wrote:The Blackgaards are small fry compared to the world-wide domination plans of Novacom.
You may be right, there . . . which may just be why Novacom didn't work for me. I've tried to like it, but alas, I still don't. Once I managed to suspend my disbelief in the entire premise, I still didn't care what was happening.

The problem for me can be summed up in two main points:

1) It wasn't personal enough.

and

2) The stakes were unclear.

I don't even think throwing Richard into the mix could make me like Novacom. And that's saying something. I don't think there was anything inherently wrong with the Novacom episodes--a lot of people like them, so they must have gotten something very right. They just didn't contain the things that matter to me in a story.

The Blackgaard saga, on the other hand, is genius.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot to mention my least favorite thing about Novacom, and the reason I pretend it didn't happen. Because it cheapens the very significant end of "The Battle" and turns Whit into a liar. I was horrified to hear that Applesauce was still around. I suppose they might have been trying to tie the one saga to the other (?), but it ended up diminishing the previous (and stronger) of the two.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

For the last time, people-- the two sagas are connected! You can't choose one or the other.

;-)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Kris Doyle wrote:
Pepper Doyle wrote:I totally agree with Dawning . . . the Blackgaards are small fry compared to the world-wide domination plans of Novacom. Brainwashing? Come on now, Regis was just obsessed with clay under Whit's End. . . he can't really compare to the master minds @ Novacom.

But Darkness Before Dawn was part of the Blackgaard saga, as well, and it included Philip Glossman, Professor Bovril, Bart and Rodney Rathbone, Jellyfish, and the Bones of Rath. Besides, Regis was obsessed with that mineral in the Whit's End tunnel because he wanted to produce TA-418 and make the ruku virus unstoppable. That could have involved the whole world if he would have succeeded, just as Novacom's plans would have had global effects.
I was going to say something like that, but was lazy. Point is, I agree :)
Joni_Slade wrote:EDIT: Oh! I forgot to mention my least favorite thing about Novacom, and the reason I pretend it didn't happen. Because it cheapens the very significant end of "The Battle" and turns Whit into a liar. I was horrified to hear that Applesauce was still around. I suppose they might have been trying to tie the one saga to the other (?), but it ended up diminishing the previous (and stronger) of the two.
I've been waiting for years for someone to make that complaint! It's something I've tossed around in my brain for a long time, and was one of the things about Exit that bothered me to no end (the other being the horribly corny dialogue between Mitch and Connie, and how she acted when he rescued her). Applesauce was destroyed; we even hear characters in episodes long after the Battle convey that fact. Imo, it shouldn't have made an appearence in Exit.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

Blackgaard
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Joni_Slade wrote:
Pepper Doyle wrote:The Blackgaards are small fry compared to the world-wide domination plans of Novacom.
Oh! I forgot to mention my least favorite thing about Novacom, and the reason I pretend it didn't happen. Because it cheapens the very significant end of "The Battle" and turns Whit into a liar. I was horrified to hear that Applesauce was still around. I suppose they might have been trying to tie the one saga to the other (?), but it ended up diminishing the previous (and stronger) of the two.
I don't think it does turn whit into a liar. 1) the name of the program is Applesauce and Whit destroys the program. This program was connected to the shop because when Connie opens the program things go crazy. In the Novacom saga Applesauce is a command/password and is only connected to the Imagination Station. So yes Whit did destroy the program, but he may have created an over ride program that had Applesause as the command prompt because that's something no one would have thought of as a passward or command.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jonathan wrote:*is pleased with the results so far*
Johnny, don't even get me going.

Since we ALL know how I feel about this topic, I shall not say anything. However, for the newer members, I shall state that I prefer the Novacom saga MUCH more than the Blackgaard saga.
Joni_Slade
Pilgrim

Post by Joni_Slade »

Jonathan wrote:Imo, it shouldn't have made an appearence in Exit.
Agreed! I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by it.
dawningoftime wrote:In the Novacom saga Applesauce is a command/password and is only connected to the Imagination Station.
That very well may be the case . . . I'd be happy if it was. It didn't sound that way to me; but then, I was so annoyed that I never re-listened to the episode. Why would Whit use that as a password? I think it would be too risky--if Blackgaard knew about Applesauce, how many others might have? Using it as a password doesn't make any sense. And because whatever-program-he-used-in-Exit acted like Applesauce, I figured he'd just disconnected it from the rest of the shop. It sounded very much to me as if he'd had a backup of Applesauce all along. But I'll have to listen again now.

I hope we get a new saga someday so we can stop arguing about which of these two was better.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Latest fanfiction: Parting Words.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Pepper Doyle wrote: Brainwashing? Come on now, Regis was just obsessed with clay under Whit's End. . . he can't really compare to the master minds @ Novacom.
Uh-oh.... *waits for Rachel to chew out PD* :anxious:
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I do believe that, considering he was presumably planning on using said "clay" to activate an extremely dangerous viral compound...
No wait, Rukuta only had the ability to, um, destroy life as we know it. never mind.

Blackgaard was the original megaplot in AIO; I personally swing either way. Novacom's scifi elements seemed to offput some, but they were at least enjoyable to me... Beyond that, I'm probably among the... 10 people here who kind of liked Mitch's character... :P

... Regardless, it is very confusing having Plan B and Moving Targets playing into one's right and left ears, respectively.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Bella Swan
Not as new
Location: " Lets get this over with before someones wets themselves." Danny Messer CSI New York

Post by Bella Swan »

I like the Blackguard saga better because I have never heard the novacom saga before(It is because I am new to Odyssey and the toiwn here.)
I'm in love with a very loving Vampire and I love Edward very much. I also love my Best Friend Jacob Black but in a sisterly way .
CSI MIAMI RULES BABY !!!!!!!
King Peter The Magnificent ,Queen Susan The Gentle ,King Edmund The Just ,Queen Lucy The valiant