Ramblings of a mind.

Warning: deep stuff... enter at your own risk.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Ramblings of a mind.

Post by Candy »

What is the opposite of love?
It's not hate as most people think... So what is it? I'll tell you. It's fear. Fear is the opposite of all that love stands for.
Love fears nothing. Love believes. Love conquers all.
Fear loves nothing. Fear hides away. Fear defeats you if you let it.
Why do we say that hate is the opposite of love?
Hate is a strong word, yes. But.... so is fear.
We let fear rule our lives... fear of heights, fear of people, fear of death.
Now I'm not saying that if we are loving correctly that we'll just go jump off a cliff. I'm saying that through love, we can stand on the edge of that cliff and see all the wonders God has made. I'm saying that through love, we can go reach those people for Him, so that they too, can stop being afraid. I'm saying that if we have love, there will be no need to fear death, because in death, we find God, and God is love.
Hate is told to be a strong word that we aren't supposed to use.
Love is a strong word that we use to describe many things: Our parents, our dog, our friends, our food, our God. Not all of these things are truly loved. Why do we abstain from using "hate" but throw love around so callously?
Fear.
Fear is also a strong word. And yet, we use it all the time.
How should we be allowed to say, "I'm afraid of that person" but not "I hate that person"? The bible doesn't say that true love casts out all hate.... No, it says that true love casts out all FEAR. Why should we be so quick to use it? Fear is the opposite of all that is love.
Fear is selfish. It is dread.
Love is selfless. It is hope.
How can we say we have love, if we still have fear? How can we be showing God's love... If we're constantly plagued by the fear of the world? God Promised to take care of us... He watches and cares for the sparrow... so much so he watches/cares for us... So in fearing what's going to happen to us in this life, we're actually saying we doubt god. Doubt is another form of fear.
God says "have no fear, I am with you."
We're supposed to be fearless warriors for God. Now, once again, I'm not saying that this means we should go jump off a cliff... But I am saying that if we let our fear immobilize us, there's no way for God to truly use us. We must be vessels of His love... not simply bodies filled with fear.

Soo.... What do you think?

(mods, feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section. (: )
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Great thoughts Candy!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I think Candy's avatar makes it SO much better... \:D/
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

~JCGJ~ wrote:I think Candy's avatar makes it SO much better... \:D/
You're right \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I don't know if love really has an exact opposite...opposite of love is no love--almost apathy. Hate adds negative emotion to the lack of love, but so does fear. Both could be considered opposite in some ways, but both are more than a simple "no love" emotion. I would argue that complete apathy would be the opposite of love because it adds nothing and changes nothing.

It's the reason psychopaths are more dangerous than those who simply like doing bad things. They are truly the opposite of good. There are a lot of people who commit crimes or cheat and lie, etc...but many of those people just enjoy the benefits of those things--they still have some measure of care, even if it is sometimes for the wrong thing. Someone who goes around robbing stores--most of them still have someone they care about outside of themselves. And they can turn their lives around if something better is out there for them to strive for. Even if they are led by hate--it is still an emotion they possess, and emotions can change or be directed elsewhere. However, the true psychopath has no emotion and no concern outside of their own pleasure. They can go around ruthlessly hurting anyone and everyone in their path--their love is fake and there is NOTHING to stop them from doing what gives them pleasure--no desire for love, no desire to do something good, etc...not even hate to direct them somewhere. The lack of something is worse than the bad.

Same for love--the lack of love is worse than hate and worse than fear. You can have some measure of love and hate in you at the same time (love your friend and hate the person who murdered them)...you can have some measure of love and fear in you at the same time (technically speaking, much fear is based on the love of yourself). However, you cannot have love and no love in you at the same time.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Candy wrote:What is the opposite of love?
It's not hate as most people think... So what is it? I'll tell you. It's fear. Fear is the opposite of all that love stands for.
What is your opinion of the "Fear of God"?
SoccerLOTR wrote:I don't know if love really has an exact opposite...opposite of love is no love--almost apathy. Hate adds negative emotion to the lack of love, but so does fear. Both could be considered opposite in some ways, but both are more than a simple "no love" emotion. I would argue that complete apathy would be the opposite of love because it adds nothing and changes nothing.
I think, if not the opposite, apathy is definitely close.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Astronomer wrote:
‘Fear’ of God isn’t being afraid of Him, it’s having awe and respect for Him. Fear of God comes from love of God.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

bookworm wrote:
Astronomer wrote:
‘Fear’ of God isn’t being afraid of Him, it’s having awe and respect for Him. Fear of God comes from love of God.
So our definition of the word 'fear' has changed from the original usage. Or would another word have been better suited for that position?
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I feel like I heard the Greek translation of the word 'fear' was not as we use it, but as bookworm described it. Correct me if I'm wrong; I don't speak it.

EDIT: Well, here's something.

You all can study it if you like; it's all Greek to me.

And bad puns are stupid, so forget I said anything.
Last edited by Termite on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Astronomer wrote:So our definition of the word 'fear' has changed from the original usage. Or would another word have been better suited for that position?
The English word hasn’t changed, it’s just the wrong one. As Termite indicated, it’s a translation issue.
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

bookworm wrote:
Astronomer wrote:So our definition of the word 'fear' has changed from the original usage. Or would another word have been better suited for that position?
The English word hasn’t changed, it’s just the wrong one. As Termite indicated, it’s a translation issue.
Alright.... so this got me thinking... so I went and did some research... here's what I came up with:

I started doing some research today on my last post... So... here it is:

There are 336 references to fear in the bible. Some of which are Holy fear... some are not.

There are many references saying "Do not fear" or "have no fear" ... but I couldn't find all of them. So I don't know how many there are.
Isaiah 43:1,3a

But now, this is what the Lord says—

he who created you, Jacob,

he who formed you, Israel:

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;

I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

For I am the Lord your God,

the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
Isaiah 41:10

"Have no fear for I am with you. Be not afraid for I am your God. I will strengthen you and give you help, and uphold you with My victorious right hand."
Soo... what I'm saying is: This is what I mean is the opposite of love. This unholy fear. This fear that God clearly commands us not to have. Yes, there is a Holy fear. It is referenced MANY times.
Proverbs 14:26

In the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord there is strong confidence, and His children shall always have a place of refuge.
See, God specifies.

Maybe I'm overstating my point, I don't know. But I wanted you to see where I was coming from. I'm not saying all fear is bad. I mean, obviously. God does say to fear him. So therefore, I can see where some people were coming from. But there is a difference between fearing God, and fearing other things.

(As I said, I did research.)

There are 3 words for fear in the Greek language.

1. Phobos: Awe.

[*] Acts 5:11 Great fear seized the whole church

2. Deilas: Fright.

[*] John 14:27 Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

3. Eulabeia: Reverence.

[*] Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, we receiving a Kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace whereby we may serve God acceptably, with reverence and godly fear.

Obviously, I was referencing Deilas.

Alright... Seriously.. I'm done. I just wanted you all to see this.
Last edited by Candy on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

People. .let it rest and not make a big deal about it :p Seriously.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Who was making a big deal about anything?
For the Fear of God thing, someone asked a question and someone answered it.
For the rest, people were offering thoughtful responses to a thoughtful writing.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Interesting, Candy. Thank you for giving a bit more background to your thoughts.
What is your opinion of this?
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

Astronomer wrote:Interesting, Candy. Thank you for giving a bit more background to your thoughts.
What is your opinion of this?
WOWWW!!!
That.... Is amazing. <3 I love it. Thank you so much!! \:D/
bookworm wrote:Who was making a big deal about anything?
For the Fear of God thing, someone asked a question and someone answered it.
For the rest, people were offering thoughtful responses to a thoughtful writing.
Yeah, I dunno. I guess I might've just been overreacting.... But I thought I'd just share some research I had. (:
Image Image
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

No, you were fine. That was directed at Marvin.