Natural Disasters In General

Just to cover everything

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Natural Disasters In General

Post by DanP740 »

Have you been in ANY kind of natural disaster? Including:
Earthquakes
Tornados
Floods
Hurricanes
Volcanic Eruptions
etc.

And do you have any stories about them?
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Tropical Storm Floyd in 1999. Blew down a big branch outside, and left us without power for 2-3 days.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Flood (we lost our home - the flood completely submerged our house in '97) and we've been as close as you can get to a tornade three times without blowing away. One time in our van in the middle of no where - we thought we were going to die. But... We didn't... :anxious:
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Tropical storm Floyd as well, Tropical storm Isador, Hurricane Ivan (no electricity for 2 weeks, most of our town and county was damaged...), Hurricane Charly (mostly rain from that one), Jeanne brought more rain, and many many tornados. oh, and a pretty good sized flood when I was in Poland. edit: also a couple of major blizzards in North and South Dakota.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

We've gone through several hurricanes - we were fortunate enough not to have any of the trees in our yard fall on our house. Our neighbors weren't as fortunate...

The electricity would be out for a while, but in most storms we got on again pretty quickly because we happened to be on the same circuit as the power company's main office. ;)

My dad hates hurricane season - it equals DAYS of hard work and lost sleep for him getting the lights back on. So everyone should be grateful for the power company employees! =D>
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I've been in 3 Level 2 hurricanes... 1 level 4... a billion big thunderstorms... ;) and a flash flood. :( I was near a tornado in t3h mountains. And I've been in a tremor.
Laura Ingalls wrote:My dad hates hurricane season - it equals DAYS of hard work and lost sleep for him getting the lights back on. So everyone should be grateful for the power company employees! =D>
Yesh! :yes: My friend's dad is a power company employee.
Sea Serpent wrote:Flood (we lost our home - the flood completely submerged our house in '97) and we've been as close as you can get to a tornade three times without blowing away. One time in our van in the middle of no where - we thought we were going to die. But... We didn't... :anxious:
No wonder you became a sea serpent. :(
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Hurricane.

Small flood. It swept our little dog out the yard, though. :p
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

EUCC wrote:edit: also a couple of major blizzards in North and South Dakota.
Yeah... those too! But they're the norm in ND, I didn't think to mention them. :anxious:
jasodia
I'm not Gabe

Post by jasodia »

We have tornadoes in our area all the time, but we've only had it gone actually to our house twice. But there's been many times where my family went to the basement and listened to Odyssey on the battery-operated tape player and ate Laffy Taffys and ice cream. I always thought it was fun, and was never really scared, for some reason.

my best friend is pink jeans!
"I don't pretend to be Captain Weird. I just am."
-Johnny Depp
Mountain_Girl
Classic

Post by Mountain_Girl »

Earthquakes
Tornados
Floods
Hurricanes
Volcanic Eruptions
etc.
well if I talk about my parents............all natural disasters except for hurricans.

I've been in earthquakes and fires and a blizzard and a whole bunch of small or bad t-storms.

ImageImageImageImage
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Not really... unless you count wind blowing a trailer over a natural disaster. But we were about 30 miles away from that. So, no.
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

My family was driving home from my grandparents' house once and it was raining very hard - my dad could barely see to drive. And then suddenly, the tornado sirens went off! I remember thinking, I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. Please, God, I'm too young to die.

Luckily, we were on a street, pulled over, ran up to the nearest house, and asked if we could come in. A couple was home and they let us into their basement, where we all waited it out together. And, no, nobody died.

And here's what might be the best part: they were Christians, too! And we all prayed together before we left. We'll probably never see each other again, but every time I think about I'm reminded how good God really is! =D>
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad: