Is "hi" a word?

question on definitions

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Is "hi" a word?

Post by Guess Who! »

So, is "hi" a word?

I know someone who says no, 'hi' is not a word. I'm not quite sure of he reasoning, but I believe it has to do with the fact that it is a rather new term, and is not used in formal writing.

A similar question has to do with how you define terms, as a definition of the word "word" is probably going to be important in this thread.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

:anxious: :noway:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Guess Who! wrote:So, is "hi" a word?

I know someone who says no, 'hi' is not a word. I'm not quite sure of he reasoning, but I believe it has to do with the fact that it is a rather new term, and is not used in formal writing.

A similar question has to do with how you define terms, as a definition of the word "word" is probably going to be important in this thread.
Could you try that again? Perhaps in English?
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I'm the one who told her that "hi" isn't correct english, and perhaps it would make more since to ask the Q, do you think "hi" is CORRECT english? I personally, do not.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Ah, but you told me it wasn't correct English because it wasn't a word. I disagree with that. "Hi" doesn't belong in formal writing, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't a word, or even that it shouldn't be used. Contractions like "can't" and "don't" aren't used in formal writing, but they still are a part of correct English. (In that there ARE ways to use them incorrectly)

"Hi" does convey meaning to English speakers, and thus can be easily used as part of the language.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

*Decides to drop out of debate till he can talk to one of his good friends* :anxious:
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

NatetheGreat wrote:*Decides to drop out of debate till he can talk to one of his good friends* :anxious:
Better make sure he's got some GOOD arguments this time :)
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I've seen "hi" used in books before. If that's what you consider formal writing.

I read this thing once about the word "hey" and how it really isn't that new of a term, and has been used since 1225. Maybe "hi" is the same deal. *shrug*

Sarah
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

NatetheGreat wrote:do you think "hi" is CORRECT english? I personally, do not.
I would argue that it USED to be incorrect english, but after time, the language has evolved enough that "hi" and many different contractions are acceptable.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

It's in the dictionary. It's a 'word'.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

Captain Jack wrote:It's in the dictionary. It's a 'word'.
I was curious, so I just looked up "hi" on dictionary.com (*hugs trusty dictionary.com search bar in her firefox), and it took me to a regional note about hey...
dictionary.com wrote:Regional Note: Traditionally, hey was just an exclamation. Sometimes it expressed delight, sometimes a warning. Nowadays we find it used for emphasis as well, especially in the expression but hey. It is also a greeting. It is a short, colloquial version of How are you? and thus close kin to the informal salutation hi, which it seems to be replacing in many situations. Until recently, this greeting had a distinctly Southern flavor. The national survey conducted in the 1960s by the Dictionary of American Regional English found hey as a greeting restricted chiefly to Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas. The friendly hey has since spread throughout the United States.
There ya go...

Sarah
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

so whatever a dictionary says goes? That doesn't seem like a fool proof way of defining words to me. How does the dictionary decide on the definitions?

Obviously (to me) the meaning of words is defined by the way we use them. Not by what experts say in dictionaries. We use 'hi' as a saluatory greeting, therefore, it is a saluatory greeting. We use 'word' to denote terms which we use to convey meaning. "hi" is a term we use to convey meaning. Therefore, "hi" is a "word," and no appeal to an outside authority was necessary.
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I wasn't saying that I agreed nor disagreed with it. I was just posting that.

Believe me, I don't agree with everything that a dictionary says (just look up the word "love" because their definition is full of mistakes, and did not mention God once, whose name basically means love to me.).

Sarah
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

ah. ok. It just sounded like you thought quoting a dictionary solved the problem.
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I used it in a Scrabble game the other day, so it has to be a word! \:D/
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

Frank wrote:I used it in a Scrabble game the other day, so it has to be a word! \:D/
Extrordinary! :shock:
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Frank wrote:I used it in a Scrabble game the other day, so it has to be a word! \:D/
well, then that settles it.
Mr Sarcastic Cow Man
I'm memorable

Post by Mr Sarcastic Cow Man »

"Hi" is a word, although I guess it could be considered slang...

Edit: "I'll believe what I wanna believe; you believe what you wanna believe, and would you believe?! Nobody knows what to believe!"

Not usually good logic, but it works here. :p
Bare feet pwn. ~ Lucy
gimp80995
No way I broke the window

Post by gimp80995 »

I don't believe it's "correct" English, however I don't have much room to talk since I use it all the time.

Peace Out

-Gimp
God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

God, Grant us the peace that comes from honest dealings so that no fear of discovery will haunt our sleep May we inflict no pain, bring no shame, and seek no profit by another's loss.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

actually Frank's logic seems to carry the most weight so far!!! :D
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again