ToO Fantasy Football: 2022 League Thread

Join us for the ToO's dozenth year in a row of fantasy football!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Sounds reasonable to me in light of the circumstances.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Slight correction: We do have Week 18 matchups, they advanced the schedule as if Bills/Bengals was final. For the moment our opponents are based on the Week 17 outcomes at that time. If and when that game concludes, if additional scoring would have changed who we would be facing in this final week, the matchups will be retroactively rearranged accordingly and then the final results will be sorted out.

Edit: The game has been cancelled, so this is it.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I'm still a little confused as to what that means though...will the points already scored before the game was suspended count? Or will they all be wiped away as if the game wasn't played at all?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I was going to say of course the partial points will remain scored, but actually that's a fair question after thinking about it for a minute longer because the NFL is acting like the game didn't happen I think, as a no contest rather than a forfeit? I'm fairly sure ESPN is just treating it as a shortened game though and keeping the recorded scores on the board after confirming the stats from the half quarter of play.

Edit:
The NFL has announced that the week 17 Bengals vs. Bills game will not resume and is canceled. ESPN Fantasy has scored all week 17 matchups using the NFL's official statistics for Bengals and Bills players. At this time, all matchup scores and league standings have been updated.
They did actually zero all the Monday scores. I'm surprised, but they are basing it on the official league stats and yeah the NFL says no game took place.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Good luck in the championship Laura. \:D/
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

@Laura Ingalls @Knight Fisher and anyone else, whether in our fantasy league or not, come by the game chat for the Lions/Packers season finale tonight in #NFL to watch the champion get decided live together! \:D/

Outside of the fantasy football implications the game has huge real life ones as well, with Green Bay's playoff hopes depending on a win against their division rivals! If @American Eagle can be there we'll have a fun real team rivalry going on for this game between him and me to go along with the fantasy rivalry of KF and Laura! :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Knight Fisher wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:16 pm Good luck in the championship Laura. \:D/
You too! Looks like you're going to easily win, my players are bombing today. :o
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Week 17:
bookworm:
Patrick Mahomes - 23
Austin Ekeler - 27
James Conner - 10
Aaron Jones - 11
Terry McLaurin - 3
Christian Kirk - 2
Travis Kelce - 4
Eagles D/ST - 10
Justin Tucker - 9
Total: 99

Laura:
Joe Burrow - 0 *
Leonard Fournette - 3
Josh Jacobs - 14
Mike Evans - 38
Davante Adams - 27
Allen Lazard - 5
Pat Freiermuth - 3
Cowboys D/ST - 9
Harrison Butker - 2
Total: 101 *
For yet another year my opponent in the semifinal is the only team that my score isn't enough to beat while if I had faced anyone else I cruise into the championship. It's demoralizing every time it happens, but even more so than usual this season. This is one of the most solid rosters I've ever put together. I absolutely hate that such a fantastic season ends like this, making the whole thing seem meaningless.

I had a great week, despite what the box score might suggest at first glance. Yes all of my receivers fell completely flat, but all of my receivers did this week, including the ones on the bench. I knew going in there weren't good prospects for any of them, I played the ones that I thought had the best chances, and I was correct. I only had one move that could have scored better than these did, and it would have only been by a single point. That shows how bleak that position was this week.

So the loss wasn't the result of misplays in my lineup, I put up the best score I was able to this week, my opponent simply got a higher one. Normally that's the kind of loss I say I can't be upset about. But this time, yeah I can.

Laura had multiple duds of her own this week. Some were offset by a huge score from Adams, but not enough to salvage the matchup. What got her the win was a beyond huge score from Mike Evans - which was a complete and utter fluke! Seriously, where the heck did this number come from??

Yeah, this week is a hard one to swallow.

But accepting that that ridiculousness happened, I was never going to win this matchup. If Bills/Bengals had played out in full there was absolutely no way, Laura's QB was active so her margin would have shot way up. But even with the game cut where it was, the gap gets close but not close enough. There is one single lineup combination that would have put me ahead, by one point, but I never would have played it. It requires two specific player swaps and at any time this week I was only ever considering making one of them. Had I made that one the matchup would have been a nailbiter, but I would still have lost, by one point.

So it turns out my unbelievable Week 16 comeback win actually doomed my season. If I had lost there and taken the #2 seed I would have faced Presler in the semifinal and almost certainly have won and advanced. Definitely would have with the Bills/Bengals cancellation, but most likely still would have even if the game had been played in full. Week 16 meant nothing, I was locked into a playoff spot already, I should have intentionally tanked the matchup, but I don't play that way.

* Note: Because that is what goes into the league books, the above box score breakdown reflects the official scoring which discarded the half quarter of Monday Night Football that was played, but my postgame statements are treating our matchup as having a final score of 107-99 which is what it was at the time of the Monday Night suspension. I do not agree with ESPN zeroing those scores, I believe the partial play that did take place should have counted.

If we're going with this revised two point margin then there were any number of ways I could have tweaked my lineup that would have gotten the win, but I wouldn't have felt good about it. Honestly I probably would have requested permission to do a league manager override on Laura's score to add back those six QB points she had. I don't have to here since she still gets the win without them as things stand, which is only proper. She would have won our matchup handily had MNF been played in full, she won anyway with it played for only ten minutes when those stats were on the board, it wouldn't have been right if taking those points back had flipped the outcome.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Exactly one year ago today, I said this: "KF, after finishing 2nd two years in a row, next year is definitely destined to be your year."

Drum roll please...

Knight Fisher is the ToO's 2022-23 Fantasy Football champion! \:D/

Final Standings (change from last year in parenthesis)
  1. (+1) Texas Staleys (Knight Fisher)
  2. (+4) Winoka Warriors (Laura Ingalls)
  3. (+2) Blitzing Bookworms (bookworm)
  4. (+4) In re Football (AE's roommate Presler)
  5. (-4) American Eagles (American Eagle)
  6. (-2) Pack Is Back (Almanzo)
  7. (-4) Bench Coolers (E II)
  8. (-1) Lol Only Lol (Monty_Whittaker)
Thanks for playing again, everyone! Despite my own struggles to put together a solid team each week, it was a great season. KF patiently waited 10 years (!) to reclaim his place at the top of the league. Well deserved.

Looking forward to next year already! \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Cheers \:D/ Hard to believe we've been doing it this long.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Congratulations KF! Definitely deserved, you are always one of our best managed teams!

Is anyone interested in a postseason game?
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

NFL Playoff Challenge password: thetoo