Dune

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Dune

Post by bookworm »

Who has read these books? Or at least the first one.

I know it's a nonzero number because I don't remember who, but some time ago I saw someone remark in the Chatroom that they were rereading the series. I assume they're a fan then, since that implies they had already done it at least once before.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I LOVE DUNE. :D I've read the first and second books. I have read some of the third one but I haven't finished it. It's been awhile so I want to reread the first two before finishing the third book. I have all 6 that Frank Herbert wrote and I think one or two of the extra books. I found all six at a Goodwill for about $1 each. :D
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I haven't read any of them yet, but have always been curious since it's such a regarded classic. A few months ago at a rummage sale I saw the full series in old paperbacks for a quarter each and I bought them because I couldn't pass up that price; if it turned out I didn't end up liking them it was no loss.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing the new movie when it comes out; I wanted to get thoughts from people who are familiar with the property about if they have a strong feeling on whether I should make a pointed effort to get the book read first.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Wow! What a find! You got a better deal than me. :P

I'm super excited for the new Dune movie, but I'm scared that they will not do it well or that it will not be successful. A movie has already been made before and a miniseries as well.

I'm conflicted as to whether you should read the book first or not. The book is amazing, but I don't want you to read it and then not be able to enjoy the movie if it fails to portray the book well. But I believe the movie will be made into two parts and so it will be a long wait before you get to see the whole book on the big screen. Though, I'm the kind of person who enjoys watching movies after reading the book because you get to see things played out. So I don't have a strong feeling that you should read the book first, but it really is a cool book. There's probably only one part of the book that I don't like because it's not a good thing, but the book doesn't focus on it too much for me to discard it altogether.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

All I know about Dune is "THE SPICE... THE SPICE MELANGE"
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

I have the first book. I've just never read it. :anxious:
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I read the first book a good few years ago when a good friend recommended it to me as a classic. I finished it, but I don't think it was for me... Something about the world, or maybe the writing style, just didn't really grab me. I can definitely see the allure though, the worldbuilding is fantastic and the story has some epic moments.