2014 Winter Olympics

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Hmm... I guess all the straight people love the gay bars then. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Nothing is more powerful than denial.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's tonight! \:D/ So excited!
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss the Opening Ceremony, as I'm going to a theatrical adaptation of Fahrenheit 451 tomorrow evening... I assume it will be uploaded online though, so I can catch it later.
They/Them
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

Ooo, that sounds neat, JCGJ. How was it?

I saw some of the Opening Ceremony.....I watched the beginning and saw some of the athletes as they walked out...but then I got bored. :P
I thought the video at the very beginning was quite interesting. Very creative.
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I watched the whole opening ceremony and I thought it was the most interesting I have ever seen. Vancouver from what I remember was just strange, but this was awesome.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

I was at RU so I was unable to see the opening. Does anyone know if they are posted online somewhere?
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

:mrgreen:^^^Ditto^^^ :mrgreen:
They/Them
IrishTiger
IrishTiger
IrishTiger

Post by IrishTiger »

NBC Olympics More specifically: Opening Ceremony
~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~Robert Frost
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Philo of Alexandria
Joshua 1:9
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

NBC's broadcast so far has been pathetic.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Thank you IT. :)
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I really enjoyed the parts of the figure skating team competition that I was able to watch, which was mostly just ice dancing and a few of the men and women's programs, but ice dancing is my favourite to watch anyway. \:D/ There have been rumours of possible vote trading between the Americans and the Russians for the assorted figure skating events in the Olympics, but the Russians as a whole had some beautiful programs,
and I can't say that they didn't deserve to win, from what I saw. It was great to see Canada win silver, with the US taking the bronze. I especially enjoyed the flower ceremony afterwards, where the Candians made a point of stepping onto the podium together, as did the Russians.
Did anybody else watch the ice dancing long programs? I thought that the Swan Lake performance that the Russians did was really beautiful, though of course I preferred the amazing and gorgeous and nuanced performance done by the Canadians. Tess Virtue and Scott Moir are just fantastic to watch. I think/hope I would feel that way even if I wasn't a Canadian. ;) They're so fluid and perform so beautifully and creatively.
The American ice dancing team got more points
, but I really didn't get into their performance nearly as much as the Canadians, or even the Russians or Italians (just to acknowledge that I don't think it was entirely a patriotic thing.) ;)
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Oi, Catspaw can you put that in a spoiler tag. Personally I don't care about who won that event but us far less superior Americans don't find out till tonight. :P

The Canadian team has definitely been my favorite to watch so far. They've just gone out there and had fun.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Okay, spoiler tags added for people who didn't see the results for the stuff that finished a few hours ago. ;) I was in the US for part of the summer Olympics two years ago, and I developed the opinion that I maintain - NBC sucks. ;) Is nothing getting aired/streamed live in the States? I get that rebroadcasting during prime time is a good idea because a lot of people can't watch during the day (myself included during weekdays) but everything is so much better live when you get a chance to watch!
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I was able to watch some live yesterday on a cable channel. At least I think it was live because I caught the same program rebroadcast later in the evening. :)

It was cool watching the ice skating and snowboarding.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

The "slopestyle" is my new favorite Olympic event. \:D/ Sage Kotsenburg is totally rad.

I like the ice dancing too, although I'm partial to Meryl Davis and Charlie White. :-
Limerick wrote:Who else is looking forward to the World Cup though?
Now you're speaking my language. \:D/
Last edited by Aeva on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don't like at all that the Games actually started before the opening ceremony. They said it was because with all the new events there was a bigger schedule. That's an explanation, but not a reason. Move the ceremony up two days.

The new team skating event is kind of neat. It's like gymnastics now, with an individual doing their component but getting scored together.

It would have been crazy if those three sisters swept the podium in women's moguls.

Team USA wins gold in the inaugural event of both men's and women's slopestyle. \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

CBC's webcasts are excellent. I've been watching them ~during class~ with my friend, and they've been fun to watch!
I was super annoyed today when the Russians kept winning in figure skating though..
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Amazing Dutch podium sweep in speed skating, including twin brothers both medaling. The second time two siblings have both medaled in the same event here.

Russia gets their first ever medal in short track speed skating, except not really. It was won by Viktor Ahn, three time Olympian representing South Korea but competing this time for Russia for some reason. That’s not right. Anyone can win medals by just getting one of the greatest athletes in the sport to wear your uniform.

-- 12 Feb 2014 01:19 pm --

Team USA finally wins its first medal in luge.

Shaun White disappointedly doesn’t get his third gold in halfpipe, with the unfortunate asterisk though that the conditions were terrible.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

They didn't want him in South Korea so he went to Russia.