wringing a washcloth in space

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

wringing a washcloth in space

Post by bookworm »

This is so weird!
Two high school students posed the question "what would happen if you wring out a wet waschcloth in space" and an astronaut aboard the International Space Station conducted the experiment which resulted in a rather beautiful moment in space.

The experiment, called "Wring It Out" was designed by two 10th-graders in Nova Scotia. Kendra Lamke and Meredith Hatfield won a contest sponsored by the Canada Space Agency to come up with an experiment for an astronaut to perform in micro-gravity.

According to the two students, they hypothesized that water from a wrung-out washcloth would not drip off but rather would remain on the cloth.

Commander Chris Hadfield, an astronaut aboard the International Space Station, took on the challenge and recorded the experiment.

Watch the video below to see what happens when you wring out a wet washcloth in space:

And as you can see in the video above, the students were correct in assuming the water would remain on the cloth. The water does squeeze out of the cloth, but surface tension causes it to make a kind of water bubble that encircles the cloth and Hadfield's hands.

According to Hadfield, he describe the water as feeling like a gel or Jell-O.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

That's funny, I just watched this video over on Kelli Taylors (Messy Mondays) blog, and I log on here and Bookworm has posted the same video :P

It's a very cool video.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

After I watched it I checked out the channel, they have a lot of cool videos!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

The government has invested a ton of money in space and this is what they're doing. Sweet.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Yeah, the CSA is pretty awesome, but don't get nearly as much media attention as they should. In October they unveiled an entire fleet of planetary rovers.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Hadassah wrote:The government has invested a ton of money in space and this is what they're doing. Sweet.
what does this even mean. >_<
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Jelly wrote:
Hadassah wrote:The government has invested a ton of money in space and this is what they're doing. Sweet.
what does this even mean. >_<
It just reminded me of a discussion we were having about space in my science and technology policy class. I feel like space has just cost a lot more than it has given back to society, but governments continue to invest in it.
The sweet is because it was cool it was like jello.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Scientific research is not "giving back" to society?!?!?!?
Last edited by 31899 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anemone
Horse Crazy 14
Horse Crazy 14

Post by Anemone »

I thought this was very interesting. :yes: :D
ImageWeird is just a side effect of being awesome.Image
Song under my sig is 'Green Rain' by SHINee
Image Image Image Image Image Image
cellogirl
Gold Member

Post by cellogirl »

I thought it was cool :)

"Oh no. No no no no no no no no no... this is bad, this is very bad, this is really, really bad! They just can't get my nose right!"
"I know not who you are, nor how I came to find you, but may I just say.... Hi..."
"You should know that this is the strangest thing I've ever done!"
"Frying pans! Who knew, right?"
-Flynn Rider

check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/thepianogals?feature=mhee