Clicker Training

Has anyone clicker trained an animal?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Humby
Tallying up

Clicker Training

Post by Humby »

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the clicker training method. Click-treat.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

What is clicker traing? O.o
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Charis

Post by Charis »

I definitely did with my first dog. She's 7 years old now and very obedient. Clicker training is quite effective, aha.
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

Clicker training (also known as magazine training) is a method for training animals that uses positive reinforcement in conjunction with a clicker, or small mechanical noisemaker, to mark the behavior being reinforced. The clicker is used during the acquisition phase of training a new behavior, to allow the animal to rapidly identify the precise behavior of interest.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve heard people who have. It always seemed kind of pointless to me. Maybe I never fully understood the process, but I don’t see how it would work.
Humby
Tallying up

Post by Humby »

It works very well. You should watch some Karen Pryor youtube videos. It's amazing how it works. If the animal does what it's told or is moving in that direction, you click then give a little treat.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

Humby wrote:Clicker training (also known as magazine training) is a method for training animals that uses positive reinforcement in conjunction with a clicker, or small mechanical noisemaker, to mark the behavior being reinforced. The clicker is used during the acquisition phase of training a new behavior, to allow the animal to rapidly identify the precise behavior of interest.
Oh thanks. =)
And no I have never used that.
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

bookworm wrote:I’ve never done it myself, but I’ve heard people who have. It always seemed kind of pointless to me. Maybe I never fully understood the process, but I don’t see how it would work.
Wikipedia has an article that explains it well.