Whit's Life

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Whit's Life

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

So, as many of you know, I have a nearly photographic memory, most of which is occupied with remembering 84% of the lines ever spoken on Odyssey. Using my extensive memory, I wrote the history of Whit's End for AIOWiki, synthesized from many different episodes. The history I wrote is also reflected in the McAlister Park article, which I wrote last night.

Now a much more daunting task lies before me: the life and times of John Avery Whittaker. I have a basic understanding of his life, but there are so many elements, it's very hard to try and synthesize it all. That's where I would like your help. I would like you all to contribute things I may have missed, and together here in this thread, we may finally attempt to resolve Whit's life story.

Here are the main elements of his life (not necessarily in order):
-Birth in Scotland (Oct 1, 1922)
-Mother's death
-Harold Whittaker's remarriage to Fiona Donnerall
-Move to Raleigh, North Carolina
-Whit becomes a Christian
-Sister born (presumably after becoming Christian) (mentioned in My Brother's Keeper)
-Blackbeard's Treasure incident & Red Wagon falling-out
-Philosophy and Literature at USC
-The War
-Meeting Jenny
-National Geographic Writing
-David Livingstone movie
-Marriage
-Universal Press Foundation
-Part-time teaching
-Full-time teaching
-Kids
-Agent for DoD
-Research for DoD/development of Applesauce
-Archaeology work
-Jerry's death
-Very ambiguous time of move to Odyssey
-Jenny's death
-Visiting Clara
-Opening Whit's End
-Middle East Trip
Last edited by Leonard Meltsner on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The biggest things you're missing (off the top of my head) is that he attended Duke University (he finished at USC after the war) and that he got his librarian certification and worked at the Pascedena Public Library.

A while back, I did some research and came up with a page of notes as well as a timeline.

Good work on both the McCalister Park and Whit's End aiowiki pages, by the way. :)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Thanks. I just remembered that Whit was also engaged before he met Jenny, but broke it off because she wasn't a Christian. That may or may not've been Eloise Frederickson, from "Prequels of Love".
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

What?!?!? What episode was that mentioned in?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

First Love.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Did Whit have a broken engagement with a non Christian too? I didn't know about that.

Is it possible you're thinking of Jack and Emily, mentioned in "A Question About Tasha"?
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Woody

Post by Woody »

First Love? I've never heard that episode. What album is it on?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I'm pretty sure that it's on Album 8: Beyond Expectations :)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jesus' Princess wrote:I'm pretty sure that it's on Album 8: Beyond Expectations :)
You're right it is.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Dallas R. wrote:Did Whit have a broken engagement with a non Christian too? I didn't know about that.

Is it possible you're thinking of Jack and Emily, mentioned in "A Question About Tasha"?
No, Jack actually married Emily - he didn't break off the engagement. :)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

I just listened to A Question About Tasha today. So sad. Whit definitely says that he broke off his engagement with someone. I'd love to add my headcanon Julie Whittaker-marries-Blackgaard-rebel-from-the-DoD-have-Buck Oliver-storyline, but that would be wrong :'(
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Dallas R. wrote:Did Whit have a broken engagement with a non Christian too? I didn't know about that.

No, Jack actually married Emily - he didn't break off the engagement. :)
Oh yeah. Whoops. Didn't think that through very well. That's interesting that both Jack and Whit faced the same trouble then. And presumably Whit's broken engagement came before Jack started dating Emily, unless of course Whit got engaged while dating Jenny. Somehow I doubt that.

If we ever have another episode on Christians dating Christians, it would be cool to have one about either Jack or Whit. Preferably Jack, and then Whit could council him from previous experience. Jack could get mad, get married anyway, and then we could flash forward, to their married years, and finally hear from his kids. And Marshall Younger could come back to play Jack!

...sadly though, I think our days with Jack centered episodes have passed, even if it only features young Jack. I don't think they'd go to the work of telling the story.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:I just listened to A Question About Tasha today. So sad. Whit definitely says that he broke off his engagement with someone. I'd love to add my headcanon Julie Whittaker-marries-Blackgaard-rebel-from-the-DoD-have-Buck Oliver-storyline, but that would be wrong :'(
Um, A Question About Tasha is one of the episodes where Whit's gone. It was Jack. And he actually married Emily.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Woody wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:I just listened to A Question About Tasha today. So sad. Whit definitely says that he broke off his engagement with someone. I'd love to add my headcanon Julie Whittaker-marries-Blackgaard-rebel-from-the-DoD-have-Buck Oliver-storyline, but that would be wrong :'(
Um, A Question About Tasha is one of the episodes where Whit's gone. It was Jack. And he actually married Emily.
I know, my saying that I listened to the episode, and Whit's talking about his engagement were two completely unrelated statements. I probably should've made it a new paragraph there.
Correction:

"I listened to the episode yesterday. Jack's story was very sad, as always.

On a completely unrelated note, Whit does say in "First Love" in Album 8 that he broke off his engagement to someone."
Woody

Post by Woody »

He said he had a relationship with a girl in collage who wasn't a christian and he had to end the relationship. He never said he was engaged to her. :?
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Oh dearie, you may be right. I really hate it when I'm wrong. Now I'm going to have to kill you and delete the evidence... *coughcoughwhat?*

Yeah, I just checked, you're right.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Woody wrote:He said he had a relationship with a girl in collage who wasn't a christian and he had to end the relationship. He never said he was engaged to her. :?
And that took place in First Love.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Woody

Post by Woody »

I know, that's how I found out about it, you guys telling me it was in First Love, I listened to the episode.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Thank goodness Leonard did not say he remembered all of the Odyssey lines, or he'd have never lived it down.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I did not know he has a photographic memory. Or that he can apparently see sound. ;)
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.