Les Miserables (2012)

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Les Miserables (2012)

Post by jelly »

I've been really excited for this ever since they first announced the cast last year. Say what you will about Anne Hathaway, the fleeting shots of her character lost in emotional distress sent shivers down my spine, and I'm confident in her ability to play this role excellently.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm definitely excited too. I heard the Radio Theatre version, and read some of the abridged version of the book. I will certainly see this in theaters \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Looks great. I've heard a lot about the play, but never actually scene( \:D/ ) it. It looks thought-provoking.
Last edited by Astronomer on Thu May 31, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

But, will she be better than Claire Danes? I kind of liked the Liam Neeson, non-musical version. :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw the Liam Neeson version a long, long time ago and have heard the FOTF Radio Theatre version a few times, but I'm not familiar with the musical. I like the basic story and I like musicals in general, and I like several of the actors in the movie, so I have a feeling that I will appreciate the final product! \:D/ The trailer looks really good.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

What exactly is Les Miserables about?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

The name pretty much says it all. It's about an escaped French convict who adopts an abused orphan girl whose mother was forced to go into prostitution to support her. Later the girl falls in love with this revolutionary guy and there's this big battle in the streets, and a whole bunch of people die. Oh, and the main character is relentlessly sought out by a severe police inspector the entire time. It's pretty intense, but it makes a great musical.

And I have no idea how I managed to not hear about this until this week. I want to see this so bad now!
Last edited by Amethystic on Thu May 31, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I've been excited since they announced it. Except for the brief stint where it was rumored that Taylor Swift had been given Eponine. I gave up on the whole thing during that unfortunate period.

I'm a little concerned with Amanda Seyfried since I haven't seen anything that impresses me about her ability to sing the soprano part of Cosette. I'm also slightly concerned about Russell Crowe. Javert's a pretty demanding part vocally. I'm REALLY excited about Hugh Jackman and Helena Bonham Carter, though. And the trailer's made me pretty excited too. Nice to see Anne Hathaway putting her own spin on the part.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I just saw this film today with my mom and sister! It was so good. I cried at so many parts of it. Anne Hathaway was my favorite--she should get Best Supporting Actress in my book!

I'd never seen a version of the musical, though I've read the book and heard the Radio Theatre version. I want to see the stage version someday, which I may since it will be performed at my community theatre this spring.

I could even be in it! (though I doubt it).

Anyway, the final song is still ringing in my head. "Do you hear the people sing?" :)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

So it turns out I was right, and Anne Hathaway was easily the best thing about this movie. \:D/

Other than that..

I pretty much knew by the second musical number that this film was going to be exhausting, taking us from emotional peak to emotional peak, never resting because there wasn't enough time, and relentless in every regard. It attempts to adapt storytelling elements that work so well in live theater, but fall flat on the film set. I found myself mostly torn, imaging that I was watching the musical and admiring the performances, costumes and sets, yet realizing that I was also watching a movie with terrible pacing and an overstuffed plot. And for that reason, I don't think I could make myself sit through it a second time.

A mixed bag, though. Some of the highlights are incredible. Like, REALLY incredible. But at best the movie is a nice homage to the musical, which I found myself wishing I was watching instead.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I saw this on Friday, and I thought it was amazing.
I thought that the singing was well done, especially since it wasn't recorded in a studio and done as a voice over. The way the music was done in this show was something that has never been done before and it captured emotion that couldn't be done in a studio recording. I loved the set too, I've been watching the videos they've been putting on youtube about the production and the entire Cafe set was constructed in under 10 weeks on the largest studio stage in the UK. I also loved how Colm Wilkinson the original Jean Valjean from the 1985 production was the Bishop. I also love how Isabelle Allen was cast as young Cosette, she was a nobody in a school play that someone saw in a school play and suggested that she audition for Les Mis, her family thought that she would be an extra and never expected her to be cast as young Cosette
I have to say that I thought that they had more close up's than they needed, especially with such an impressive set, as my older brother put it "In Empty Chairs at Empty tables, the close up on Marius was so close that you could see all his freckles. even the one's on his lips."
Another thing that has to be taken into account is that most of the actors in this show are actors.... Not professional musicians that we see in shows that are touring, so the music obviously wouldn't be as high quality- especially with the way it was recorded as well. All the main actors worked with vocal coaches though up to a year prior to the show to help their voices get ready for the filming, and Hugh Jackman talked about in a video how he sometimes sang 10-12 hours a day, even with taking proper care, drinking warm water with lemons in it, going on vocal rest sometimes. These people who might not have done much singing in movies before definitely overcame a big obstacle.
I own the original 1985 cast recording and I have to say, comparing some of the voices, I do prefer a few of the Movie voices over the cast recording. - one thing I noticed was that you could tell the difference vocally between the European actors and American Actors, especially with accents and such
Since I have not had the opportunity to see the show on stage, I thought that the movie was well done. I also have loved the music for years. And as I am a big fan of the music, I'm definitely planning on going again and buying the movie when it comes out on DVD.
Note- if you don't like movies with a large amount of singing, this movie is not for you ;)

Also I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it very much if Taylor Swift had been 'Ponine

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

EvangelineWalker wrote:I'd never seen a version of the musical, though I've read the book and heard the Radio Theatre version. I want to see the stage version someday, which I may since it will be performed at my community theatre this spring.

I could even be in it! (though I doubt it).
Good luck.

But I'm curious, do you have any comment on the book itself?
Last edited by Caswin on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

Caswin wrote: Good luck.

But I'm curious, do you have any comment on the book itself?
Thanks.

The book? Well, when I was 17, I started reading my aunt's copy of it when I was at her house in New York because she said it was really good. I struggled through the first chapter, but still thought it was worth borrowing from the library later on. I had to check it out several times before I could read the whole thing. I liked it--it's one of my favorite books in fact--but it is very long and has a lot of digressions. I wouldn't say it is a very easy book to get through.

But there's a reason it's a classic-- the characters and plot are timeless. I love every version of it that I've seen/experienced so far.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I never had time to finish the book... xP Oh well. I'm going on Wednesday to see the movie so YES. \:D/ My friend and I are going... I plan on enjoying myself quite a bit.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

I saw this again today and it was just as good as the first time!
I noticed a lot more detail the second time around, several small things such as lighting at some parts. But then I noticed during Lovely Ladies, when she's going towards the water, the sky was quite bright for a night time scene. Anyway it was just as enjoyable the second time around, I hope to see it at least one more time in theaters, but my friend's got me beat already, seeing it 4 times already!
I also heard someone compare it to Twilight and this is how I felt ](*,)

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I saw it and it was decent. Too much singing though. Why don't people just talk.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Well I've been looking forward to this film to- well lets just say a long time. My parents first saw the musical on stage in the early 90's, loved it, and bought the "Original London Cast" Version of the film. I've been pretty much listening to the fantastic music ever since I was eight or nine, waiting for this film to come out. So you could kinda say I've been waiting for this film for four years. The reason I haven't talked about it much was because I was dead worried that I was going to hate it. I am so glad I was wrong. Here is my review:

This film was incredible. Simply incredible. It obviously benefited from the very well crafted and music and story thanks to misters Victor Hugo, Claude Michel Schonberg, and Alain Boublil. It also benefited from the phenominal acting from Anne Hathaway, Hugh Jackman, Samantha Barks, and Eddie Redmayne. (Although I found Redmayne's singing only decent.) The first time I watched the film I was unhappy with Russell Crowe, the second time I could stand him, and the third time I thought he was a little above average. We will see where he stands after I have seen it a fourth time. Anyway moving on, I thought the cinematography was excellent, and the camera shots were done very well. The scene with Javert on the top of the building singing "Stars" was so well shot and well done. What I also loved about this film was that it was probably the movie I was most immersed in all year. (Although the Hobbit and DKR come close) the second time I saw the film the person in front of me gasped about every two minutes, and was in tears throughout the film. The second time I saw the film I went with two good friends, and three points throughout the film we looked at each other and realized we were all crying- that's how powerful it was to me. And I think to almost everybody else in the film. All three times I went to see the film I applauded. (Twice everybody else joined in, once I was the only one... it was kind of awkward) Anyway it was a very well done film that I was very satisfied with. 4.5 out of 5 stars or, A-.

So that's my review. Hope you enjoyed it. (Incidentally there is a point in the film where Hugh Jackman's character says to Eddie Redmayne's character "There is one last thing I must do" to which my friend leaned over to me and said: "I'm going to join the X-men" Which I found hilarious, and cracked up at- to which everyone around the room glared at me. Oh my friends...)
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

Hadassah wrote:I saw it and it was decent. Too much singing though. Why don't people just talk.
...because it's a musical ;) You can't go into a musical hoping for "normal" conversations.
*insert provocative quote here*
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Hadassah wrote:I saw it and it was decent. Too much singing though. Why don't people just talk.
...because it's a musical ;) You can't go into a musical hoping for "normal" conversations.
When my mom invited me to go I didn't realize it was a musical. I only read the book before, and nobody sang in the book...
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Gavroche did! \:D/

I LOVED this movie... seriously. Only teared up twice, too, which was awesome. Anne Hathaway was brilliant; Gavroche was adorable; I know adore Jean more than normal now.

.....And I should have uploaded a video of me singing that.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein