Album 56: The Grand Design

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Album 56: The Grand Design

Post by American Eagle »

Released on the official Twitter...

The Grand Design!
Thoughts on the cover of Whit?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

First thought: Whit is a two year old! With a mustache... Anyway, his smile looks quite concerning.
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Doesn't Whit's head seem like it's getting bigger compared to the rest of his body? The artwork just is not what it used to be. It's somewhat better than 55 though.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Personally I think he looks very childish... I miss the old art :(
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I open the spoiler and see his face. First thought: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! Yeah, it's getting less real each album.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

But the Imagination Station, the design and gadgetry theme...I'm hoping this means cool plots in that area. :3
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

^that's kinda what I thought too, that it would mean more inventing and other such awesome things. Though Whit's face looks a bit...I don't know, too excited somehow?

(and can it be? Fang actually posted on here \:D/)

Till the end of the line.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Personally I think he looks very childish... I miss the old art :(
Mhm, everything looks fine except...Whit. :anxious:

What happened to the respectable looking guy vs the hyper one?

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Anyone else notice the wedding ring? I'm pretty sure that hasn't been in the older pictures of Whit...

Note: I'm not speculating that he is getting married, it just seems odd that he would still be wearing one after all this time - and after dating other women...
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Astronomer
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Astronomer »

Wow, that is interesting! I never saw the wedding ring before. Also, his hand looks way out of proportion. Its cool to see the boredom buster. We haven't seen that since, uh, I'm thinking Barclay's Family Vacation Parts 1&2 (where Donna uses it at the church picnic). I'm sure we've seen it since then, but I can't think of when...
My blog: http://www.jessericebooks.blogspot.com Where I talk about stuff and the book(s) I've published.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Hmm. Yeah, I'm not sure what to think. I've gotten used to the new character designs, and I've learned to like them. Even though I still picture Whit as a realistic version of the cartoon movies, I think the new 'thin Whit' is much improved to the really creepy triple chin Whit on the Official Guide.

But this face seems like kind of a step back towards that direction. A little too creepy for my taste. If I was a stranger to Odyssey I might be turned off. I do like the invention stuff, and the full design isn't there yet, so I'll rate it higher than a few of the other new covers.

Rating from best to worst cover from 51 to 56

1. 53. The Green Ring Conspiracy
2. 52. Cause and Effect
3. 55. The Deep End
4. 56. The Grand Design
5. 54. Clanging Cymbals
6. 51. Take it From the Top
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I like it. He's showing an expression of excitement due to whatever he's getting down on paper. Gasp! Perhaps he's inventing something that will aid him in the proposing to Lucia!

On a more serious note, I think it's more likely that they just decided to place it in there even though he hasn't been drawn that way before. Though it could have some sort of significance to the episode in some way, like maybe he lost it a few years ago, even back far enough to his kids and after getting it replaced he found the original after all these years. I would like to see another episode with a flash from the days of Jason and company as kids.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Definitely not what I was expecting, but I guess I should have guessed.

I love seeing the inventions in the picture! I saw the Imagination Station right away. After a second look, I saw the Boredom Buster. I doubt it will be used in this album but it's a nice nostalgic throwback for fans. Is that supposed to be the Room of Consequence in the back? It looks similar to how it was portrayed in the video series but where's the door?

I love the art! Much better than 55's. I'd say it's my favorite art for the post-relaunch albums!

BTW, is this supposed to be in the Bible Room or Whit's workshop?
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

Peachey Keen wrote:
BTW, is this supposed to be in the Bible Room or Whit's wrokshop?
I'd assumed it was the Bible Room, but looking at it again I think it's his workshop. Plus this is the old version of the imagination station with the new version being shown at the end of Album 50.

Drawing in the old old version of the imagination station into this picture would have been really cool too.

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Dallas R. wrote:Drawing in the old old version of the imagination station into this picture would have been really cool too.

Didn't you notice? it is there. in the far background on the right, you can see the top of it.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I like the picture! I like how it ties in with the title. For the record: I have always seen real life characters when I imagine the stories, so I think the new artwork is much improved from the old stuff.

The size of Whit's head and hands doesn't bother me--just disporportionate, but not disturbingly so. His expression is a little crazed, but, maybe he gets that way when he's inventing. I did notice the wedding ring right away. I hope it works into one of the stories. It does seem odd that he'd be wearing it again after all these years.

And the boredom buster!! Fun!
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JesusFreak777 wrote:Anyone else notice the wedding ring? I'm pretty sure that hasn't been in the older pictures of Whit...

Note: I'm not speculating that he is getting married, it just seems odd that he would still be wearing one after all this time - and after dating other women...
That's the first thing I noticed, because I don't remember seeing it before.
Dallas R.

Post by Dallas R. »

Woody wrote:
Dallas R. wrote:Drawing in the old old version of the imagination station into this picture would have been really cool too.

Didn't you notice? it is there. in the far background on the right, you can see the top of it.
Oh man! It is! That's pretty cool. Thanks for pointing it out.

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

OK, this is one of the worst cover arts ever in my opinion. His head just looks- dreadful. No offense to Gary but- I am not a fan of this cover art. I loved seeing the throwback to the old IS though.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Whit reminds me of Geppetto from Disney's Pinocchio movie in this artwork.