Stop KONY 2012

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Stop KONY 2012

Post by Over the Rainbow »

I signed on here to see how my fellow ToOers were reacting to this campaign. To my surprise, no one's made a thread on this topic. So I decided to make one myself.

Anyway, how'd you react to the film? For those of you who haven't watched it, here ya go. You're welcome.

Personally, I'm glad the word is being spread and awareness is being raised. However, it seems like a lot of people are retweeting and reposting about it just because it's the Christian hipster thing to do. I'm glad it has inspired a few individuals to actually take action.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I saw the video on youtube and then I didn't watch it because it is nearly 30 minutes long.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

A lot of people are raising awareness about this at my school. There are literally posters EVERYWHERE. A girl I know took advantage of the fact that our new print kiosks offered free printing all this week and she printed out probably hundreds of posters, slogans, you name it. As far as I know she and several other people spent the better part of an hour hanging up the things.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

What exactly is this about?

\:D/
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Could someone quickly sum up what this is about? Several friends of ours on FB have been posting about this, but I haven't had thirty minutes to watch it...
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

It's just a bunch of slick, selective propaganda... :noway:
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Jesus' Princess wrote:Could someone quickly sum up what this is about? Several friends of ours on FB have been posting about this, but I haven't had thirty minutes to watch it...
Same here. I don't have time to watch the whole thing at the moment, but I would really appreciate if someone summed it up.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
TigerintheShadows

Apparently a rebel leader in Africa has been forming an army of young boys; his organization kidnaps children and forces the boys into killing their families and the girls into sex slavery. And for the record, I highly doubt that this is all propoganda.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Whoa. :huh: That sounds scary. :anxious:

\:D/
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I haven't watched the Kony video, but I watched this. It was interesting.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Over the Rainbow wrote:To my surprise, no one's made a thread on this topic.
I wasn’t surprised, I was relieved. Until you posted this was just about the only place in the entire universe it isn’t brought up.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Thank you, Ginny. This is absolutely horrible. A friend of my was talking about it too with more detail. I can't believe a person would do something like this.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

For the record, I'm not saying that the guy isn't a bad dude. I'm just saying that the producers of the video have an agenda.
jeffsbff
Lurker

Post by jeffsbff »

Anna><> wrote:I saw the video on youtube and then I didn't watch it because it is nearly 30 minutes long.
I agree that the video is long but I watched it last night and I believe it is definitely not a waste of time.

-- Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:39 pm --
Jesus' Princess wrote:Could someone quickly sum up what this is about? Several friends of ours on FB have been posting about this, but I haven't had thirty minutes to watch it...
To sum up Kony 2012 I could tell you that Joseph Kony and his LRA army abduct thousands of kids (over 30,000 to be exact). The boys are trained with guns to kill their parents and the little girls are put into sex slavery. Kids over there are running for there life trying not to get abducted while there sleeping. If they try to run away from being in the LRA (rebels) group they themself could die. They are fighting for their life and we are trying to fight for theirs. Watching the video is not a waste of time so i would advise you to please try and find time to watch it. You won't regret it.

-- Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:43 pm --
bookworm wrote:
I wasn’t surprised, I was relieved. Until you posted this was just about the only place in the entire universe it isn’t brought up.
It's kinda sad to me that you mentioned you were relieved. It's great that people are taking the time to consider what other people are going through. Things we couldn't ever imagine having to do.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Jeremy wrote:I'm just saying that the producers of the video have an agenda.
Well, since they're humans, they have an agenda. Just like you and me.
he/him | a little stinker.
jeffsbff
Lurker

Post by jeffsbff »

Steve wrote:
They might have an agenda. But to view that video and assume the worst of the intentions is wrong. It's a great video, and an inspirational one at that. I will back up the cause, the reasoning, and the producers because of the good intention of the video making. Try to change your perspective.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Steve wrote:
Heh, I knew someone would pick up on that wording. ;) Let me change it to "evil agenda."

Look folks, nobody even knows if Joseph Kony is still alive, and he hasn't been seen in 5 years. That's how out-of-proportion the propaganda video is. Learn to wake up, think for yourselves, and research the facts.

(Note: this first video contains one instance of bad language in the first half a minute or so)

See also: Kony 2012 Hoax Exposed

Jeremy
Last edited by Jeremy on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerintheShadows

I saw that video (the one at the top), and while it does sound convincing, it's still one person's word against another's, although what this girl is saying does make quite a lot of sense. I think that in any case of wanting to take action against someone, you should first look into what you're taking action against. This case is no different. If it is going on, yes, we should do what we can. If not, we should focus our attention elsewhere.
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

jeffsbff wrote:
bookworm wrote:
It's kinda sad to me that you mentioned you were relieved. It's great that people are taking the time to consider what other people are going through. Things we couldn't ever imagine having to do.
It’s kinda sad to me that you would be sad about what I said. I didn’t say we should not be concerned or aware of this. Of course we need to spread the word about people in need. But, like I said, this is literally everywhere. Even if your message is good, there is still such a thing as overstating it. There are many people who, if they heard about this once would be concerned, but when they see it on every website in existence just get turned off by the constant bombardment.
Also, as has been pointed out, we obviously know nothing about the situation, so we should make sure what we’re hearing and passing on is factual. Blindly proliferating a questionable video could cause more harm than good in the long run.
jeffsbff
Lurker

Post by jeffsbff »

bookworm wrote:
jeffsbff wrote:
bookworm wrote:
It’s kinda sad to me that you would be sad about what I said. I didn’t say we should not be concerned or aware of this. Of course we need to spread the word about people in need. But, like I said, this is literally everywhere. Even if your message is good, there is still such a thing as overstating it. There are many people who, if they heard about this once would be concerned, but when they see it on every website in existence just get turned off by the constant bombardment.
Also, as has been pointed out, we obviously know nothing about the situation, so we should make sure what we’re hearing and passing on is factual. Blindly proliferating a questionable video could cause more harm than good in the long run.
I see and understand what you're saying. My point is just that theres no harm in being concerned about something whether it be fake or not. The story is really heartfelt and if not anything else helps kids to not be such spoiled brats. Ya know?