Not Forsaken - A Short Film

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Not Forsaken - A Short Film

Post by jelly »

Hey! \:D/ So, I just finished this short film called "Not Forsaken", inspired by Song of Songs 3:1-4. It operates under the analogical view held by the church, and depicts the 'Bride of Christ' as a young woman lost in restless angst.

I've honestly never created anything quite as artistic and subtle before. I've been trying to get people's honest opinions, because I want to know how different people see it. I actually had the opportunity to premiere it at a youth group, and before I played it I asked them to try to figure out what was going on. In the end, they all started applying its meaning to their own lives. Mission accomplished. \:D/

If you guys wanted to give me your own honest opinions of it, that would be awesome!

http://vimeo.com/37407067
Last edited by jelly on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

That was really good. :yes:

The message seems pretty...straightforward, I guess.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Heh, thank you for responding. ;) So far, almost everyone I've showed it to has had trouble knowing how to respond. So either most people don't like it, or they're not sure how to interpret it.. I'm going to have to put a lot of thought into my next project.
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Well, it literally seems straightforward. The girl is the Bride (the Church) searching for her Lord, and then she finds him. Right? (Overly simplified of course.)

I did think it was well-done. I'm not an expert, but the camera work seemed really good, and the acting was also pretty good.

edit: I just read your blog post, and I'm sorry you haven't gotten much of a response. I really did think it was good. It literally sent shivers down my back.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Add me to the category that didn't really get it, Jelly. ;) The girl is searching for something... the book? What does the book represent?

Your filmmaking, however, was better than ever. I was impressed by the complicated film shots, and the music was interwoven very nicely.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really liked it, Jelly! It was very powerful. I was able to interpret it fairly easily. Wonderful job!
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:Add me to the category that didn't really get it, Jelly. ;) The girl is searching for something... the book? What does the book represent?
Essentially, the young woman is lost in a temporary state of restless despair because she cannot feel the manifest presence of Christ. She's "searching" for Him, but she "cannot find" Him. Discouraged, she crawls into bed and falls asleep. Even through the night, however, her soul is searching. "All night long", she searches. She's given a vision. Herself as a young girl, happy and full of joy. She follows her back to her bedroom, and watches in nostalgic fascination as her younger self freely expresses her love for Jesus through writing in her journal. The journal represents the 'place' where she has met with God and intimately known His presence. The young girl looks up and sees her older self, caught up in despair because she's lost this 'place' of connection, and hands her the journal. The young woman wakes up on the grass with a smile oh her face. A few feet away from her lies the journal. She picks it up and traces the heart with her finger. Sitting back on the bench, she begins writing a new entry; one of renewed confidence and joy. She's been gifted with a reminder of Christ's everlasting promise of presence, and she affirms that she in return will "never let [Him] go." As she looks up at the clouds, she whispers "You never leave me. You never forsake me."

...it's intended to be artistic and analogical in nature. It's not likely to make much sense if you're trying to draw a distinct narrative from it. :P This kind of film holds power for me, personally, because it draws me in and allows my mind to make connections in relation to my own life. It's the kind of experience I love talking about. When it moves beyond entertainment, and becomes a personal interaction through which (hopefully) the Spirit speaks to you through!
American Eagle wrote:Your filmmaking, however, was better than ever. I was impressed by the complicated film shots, and the music was interwoven very nicely.
Sapphire wrote:I really liked it, Jelly! It was very powerful. I was able to interpret it fairly easily. Wonderful job!
Thank you! I really, really appreciate these words. :) It's more encouraging then you know.
Pip wrote:edit: I just read your blog post, and I'm sorry you haven't gotten much of a response. I really did think it was good. It literally sent shivers down my back.
I'm glad you read it. :) It's not the responses I'm looking for, though, it's the sense of joy I feel when someone else is able to engage with the Spirit in the same way I can. I find myself discouraged whenever someone watches The Tree of Life or some similar work of film and is simply unable to see the same thing I saw, or experience the same thing I experienced. I often find myself alone in my utmost passion.
Last edited by jelly on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Hmmm I would've been with AE on this one. I didn't completely understand the point it was trying to make until I read your post.

You did an excellent job with the editing and everything. :yes: I liked it. :thumbsup:

\:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Thanks so much for explaining it, Jelly man. I missed most of that stuff. ;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I finally got a chance to watch this.
You know I’m your biggest fan Jelly, but I have to say it didn’t work for me. Your explanation was great, and from that I understand exactly what you meant it to be, but just from watching the video alone I don’t think I would have gotten it. And if I did, it wouldn’t have been as clearly as you intended.
Two things in particular that got me:
It might have been better if you did something different with the shots of the dream sequence so it’s clear what’s going on. So you realize this is a dream, and that girl is her younger self. Maybe a fog effect. It’s cliché, but it works.
Also, I didn’t get how she went to sleep in her bed but woke up in a field. Is she a sleepwalker?
All in all it was a good attempt, and like I said I can definitely see what you were trying to do, I just don’t personally think it all came together as well you would have liked it to.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Thanks, bookworm. :)

Let me give this one more shot at explanation, though: it's not supposed to function as a narrative. That means there's no distinct plot and it's probably not going to 'make sense'. If you're looking for fog effects and clarity in the 'dream sequence', you're missing the point! You're trying to piece together a story structure where one doesn't exist. For all I'm concerned, the entire thing is a dream sequence. ;) When I watch it, and similarly styled film, I'm drawn into an experience that aims to leave you with glimpses and whispers. A small taste into something deeper. A piece of art, nothing less. And art, in its nature, functions as subjective experience to the appreciator. It's about how you view it. Most of us are trained by YouTube and mainstream movies to expect an objective, easy-to-understand story pattern every time we sit down to watch something. The kind of film I'm going for aims at relating to you in an entirely different manner.

*shrug* and not everyone thinks the same. Anyone with a mostly logical mind often has a harder time finding that more artistic side to themselves. And most people, I've found, just don't really try. :P

I actually love the way the video turned out. I watch it for myself every once in awhile, because it's something that actually speaks to me in a personal way (which might be partly because I made it)!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:Anyone with a mostly logical mind often has a harder time finding that more artistic side to themselves.
That would be me. ;)
I totally get what you’re saying, and if you’re fine with everyone having to make up their own interpretations then that’s great.
I am definitely just not one of those people. You say the whole thing could have been a dream, okay fine. But there was nothing to indicate that. And without specifying that the whole thing, or at least the kid part, was, then I’m going to be sitting there wondering why this girl is breaking into the bedroom of some little kid, or vice versa, depending on whose room it is.
If you choose to not address that, and instead just decide I’m not the audience it’s meant for, that’s up to you as the filmmaker.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I just LOVE your artistic take on the versus and the direction you took the message. Heartfelt and to the point. Keep up your good work and I look forward to your next film.
I like this snubs fellow.
General nuisance extraordinaire.