Adam Young is the Bomb

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

"Alligator Sky" always reminds me of Doctor Who. :-

I LOVE Adam Young. His music is my happy pill. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

He's fine. I like a few tracks.

Guys, the argument is petty. He's not super-skilled and he's not terrible. Pop music really doesn't require much skill. It requires songs running through your head and a rudimentary ability to turn them into music, be it with guitars or synths. And Adam Young's got plenty of songs running through his head and sufficient ability to make them into music. Some people like them, some people do not. It's really not a matter of skill.

Lyrics, of course, are a slightly different. From what I've heard, they're nice and light and poetic. Not much depth. He might be slightly skilled in that department, but nothing to write home about. But once again, he's a pop artist. For the most part there is no skill involved, in the ordinary sense of the term.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

But you see, this is where I must object, because I think he is a musical genius. :inlove:

But in all seriousness, the guy is not your typical "pop" artist. I'm continually amazed by the way his mind puts sounds and ideas together to create works of aural art. Plus, his songs range from pretty to heartfelt to worshipful to humorous. Really, there's something for everyone in there. Maybe some people prefer more defined lyrical messages or traditional instruments, but I enjoy his dreamy, whimsical approach to song-writing; you can either take the songs at face value or you can delve further into the underlying theme. (And yes, there's often an underlying theme.) Plus, you can tell he thinks about what he's writing--he doesn't always sing about the same thing or use the same limited pop vocabulary over and over.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Amethystic wrote:I'd argue with you too about this, 31899, except that I know that you're still going to hate him no matter what anybody says. ;) Besides, it's not like your arguments are exactly grounded in logic.
Okay, the crazy one we need a psychologist for, but for his lyrics we do not. Define "A sock hop beneath my bed"

For his music, just listen, he leads to nothing and often does not take advantage of key opportunities he has in his music. Also, from what I have heard it would seem he has never heard of the term suspension.

Legitimate argument:
Amethystic wrote:And I don't mind the effects Adam Young puts into his music--though his more accoustic tracks have their own unique beauty, for sure. He uses effects to make the sounds unique and interesting; he doesn't just slap an auto-tune effect on everything like most pop artists do.
Illegitimate argument:
Amethystic wrote:But you see, this is where I must object, because I think he is a musical genius. :inlove:
I think The Key of Awesome said it best when they wrote in one of their parodies
It seems like a silly choice
For a grown man to use this voice
The Postal Service did it first
I sound like them but 10 times worse

A cloud pooped out a rainbow turd
I'm just singing random words
Edit: Note: If you do look up the parody be warned that some may find the content offensive at times.

Last edited by 31899 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

1. Google 'sock hop'. Now, imagine fireflies doing that underneath his bed. Imagery is fun.
2. Different people prefer different kinds of music. A dissimilar approach isn't necessarily a bad one, it's all about taste.
3. Please note when humor is being used. :inlove:
4. Song writers don't pick words just for meaning, but also for sound. Adam Young's word combinations sound beautiful, even if they don't follow an openly logical train of thought.
5. I'd like to see you write something half that good. ;) Even if you disapprove of his methods, he is still significantly more talented than the average joe.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

31899 wrote:Define "A sock hop beneath my bed"
I believe it’s referring to the fireflies flying around the room. He also says they’re above his head.
Steve

Post by Steve »

bookworm wrote:
31899 wrote:Define "A sock hop beneath my bed"
I believe it’s referring to the fireflies flying around the room. He also says they’re above his head.
I love an analysis of something so...non-analytical. \:D/

@31899: Fine. So you don't like his music. Don't listen to it. Then stop posting in this thread. Great. Now everything is hunky-dory.
he/him | a little stinker.

Post by 31899 »

So legitimate criticism is unwelcome. Okay then, I'll stop posting in this thread. Have fun.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I mean, no one wants it in the Harry Potter thread, so... ;)

I do wish he'd release a CD of hymns. <3
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Joanne wrote:He is awesome. Owl City is genus.

the end.
Hmmm... I tried listening to Fireflies, but I didn't like his AutoTuned sounding voice, and the lyrics were confusing...

\:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lee wrote:and the lyrics were confusing...
The video is too, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

bookworm wrote:
Lee wrote:and the lyrics were confusing...
The video is too, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad.

Post a direct link please? ;)

Yeah maybe not, but for me I'd rather understand the message of music I'm listening to. ;)

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Lee wrote:Post a direct link please? ;)
:roll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4
Lee wrote:I'd rather understand the message of music I'm listening to.
Wikipedia wrote:Adam Young described the song as "a little song about bugs and not being able to fall asleep at night."
It’s not a deep message, it’s about the innocence and wonder of childhood imagination. That should appeal to just about anyone.

Post by 31899 »

Termite wrote:I mean, no one wants it in the Harry Potter thread, so... ;)

I do wish he'd release a CD of hymns. <3
Sorry for the off-topic nature of this post.

Legitimate criticism is welcome in the Harry Potter thread, however "Harry Potter supports witchcraft and is therefore satanic" is not legitimate criticism.

Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I don't get how people always perceive Adam Young's voice as being "auto-tuned". :-k Yes, he uses synthesizers to create the actual music, but he doesn't really do much electronic stuff with his voice. Pitch correction and all that stuff, of course, but so does every recorded artist. Here's a video I found of him performing a live, acoustic version of "Fireflies". He starts out kinda quiet, but he gets into it as he goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrlVa7f6 ... re=related
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Dude, Fireflies is like the best song ever! :D I love Adam Young!
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Amethystic wrote:I don't get how people always perceive Adam Young's voice as being "auto-tuned". :-k Yes, he uses synthesizers to create the actual music, but he doesn't really do much electronic stuff with his voice. Pitch correction and all that stuff, of course, but so does every recorded artist. Here's a video I found of him performing a live, acoustic version of "Fireflies". He starts out kinda quiet, but he gets into it as he goes.

Yes, but he does purposefully make his voice sound...the way it does. I can't really describe it. It doesn't really annoy me, though. I kinda like it, in fact.

Not every recorded artist uses pitch correction. Most do, but most recorded artists are not very good. :P
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pip wrote:
Amethystic wrote:I don't get how people always perceive Adam Young's voice as being "auto-tuned". :-k Yes, he uses synthesizers to create the actual music, but he doesn't really do much electronic stuff with his voice. Pitch correction and all that stuff, of course, but so does every recorded artist. Here's a video I found of him performing a live, acoustic version of "Fireflies". He starts out kinda quiet, but he gets into it as he goes.

Yes, but he does purposefully make his voice sound...the way it does. I can't really describe it. It doesn't really annoy me, though. I kinda like it, in fact.

Not every recorded artist uses pitch correction. Most do, but most recorded artists are not very good. :P
His voice isn't any more annoying than the guy from Eleventyseven.
he/him | a little stinker.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Steve wrote:
Pip wrote:

His voice isn't any more annoying than the guy from Eleventyseven.
On this you are absolutely correct. \:D/
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I suppose we could argue about this, but I simply don't like his voice. :-k I prefer the vocal style of artists like Josh Groban.

It's not that his music is bad or anything, it's just not my style. :?