Checkers Jumping Rules

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.

If you can do you have to jump in checkers?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 12

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Checkers Jumping Rules

Post by Knight Fisher »

So I was playing checkers with a friend the other day and he said you didn't have to jump. Do you?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

If you’re able to jump a piece, you must do so.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I played an electronic game that forced me to do it, and I hated it. I don't think you should be forced to make a move.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:I don't think you should be forced to make a move.
I don’t ‘think’ so either, but that doesn’t change whether or not it’s the rule.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:
American Eagle wrote:I don't think you should be forced to make a move.
I don’t ‘think’ so either, but that doesn’t change whether or not it’s the rule.
Hmm. I didn't know checkers was a copyrighted game. Who decides the rules for it?

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The American Checker Federation does.
Rules of Play and Laws for Standard American Checkers wrote:If there is an opponent's checker or king on an adjacent square in the row ahead with an unoccupied square on the same diagonal line in the following row, that piece (checker or king) must be jumped.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Yes, because it makes the game much more of a strategy game. If you don't have to jump, every jump that happens has to have been because your opponant made a mistake. But if you do have to jump, you can set the game up to where your opponant has to move where you want them to move.

(As a side note, I think the reason the rule was even introduced, was because Chess players were trying to make the game more a game of strategy, than one of luck. :D)
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:The American Checker Federation does.
Rules of Play and Laws for Standard American Checkers wrote:If there is an opponent's checker or king on an adjacent square in the row ahead with an unoccupied square on the same diagonal line in the following row, that piece (checker or king) must be jumped.
You're probably right, officially, but having rules for checkers is like having rules for tag. :noway: It should be played for fun and with variation, in my opinion.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

American Eagle wrote:It should be played ... with variation, in my opinion.
So people can make up their own rules?
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

bookworm wrote:
American Eagle wrote:It should be played ... with variation, in my opinion.
So people can make up their own rules?
If it doesn't break the template of the game, or make it unfair, why not? I think it's fine to do for fun.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

If I can make up my own rules, then I’ll never loose at checkers again.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

If that is so, then the rules you implement would be unfair.

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

But what's meant by "making your own rules" can't mean coming up with rules in your favor during the game. At camp we play carpet ball a lot, and there are tons of variations, but there's usually a pretty fixed set we play with, but we do changes occasionally, but only to have more fun, not just to help one person win.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Well yeah, I believe that if you both agree on your variations of the rules beforehand it's fine. But it is just cowardly to bend the rules in your favor, that just shows you don't think you aren't good enough to beat the opponent.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Sometimes it's fun to play where you WANT to be the one to lose all his pieces first. It's a new twist that really involves alot more concentration then you'd think. (And yes, in this version, you must jump if the chance presents itself.)

Or turn the board diagonally, and set up the board like that. That way, you have to travel further to get a king, and there are only two spots in which you can do so!

There are litterally thousands of variations of the game, and all are fun and chalanging in their own ways. I am president of our local board game club, and my motto for the club is, "Change it up! And if it doesn't work, change it again!" :D
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Some games can have "house rules." If two people decide ahead of time to play differently than the standard rules, kind of like ~JCGJ~ is talking about, then that's their decision. As long as everybody involved knows how the game is being played and is okay with that, then I think it's fine. When we were kids, my siblings and I always started a game of Monopoly with more money than the rules said we should have, but we still all started with the same amount. It was still fair, we were happy, and whoever wrote the rules didn't know and wasn't playing with us, so who cares? ;)
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Speaking of Monopoly, we made ourselves a set of $5000 bills for when the money gets really high later on.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Everyone gets mad at me when I play Monopoly. Something about being completely ruthless and locked-in. :(
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.