TV Commercials

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

TV Commercials

Post by bookworm »

This thread is for discussing television commercials. Either specific ones, or television advertising in general.
I would say that 90% of tv commercials are just stupid, 5% are dumb, 4% are decent, and only 1% are really good.
I usually find tv commercials to be rather demeaning and just all around dumb, but there are a few I’ve seen recently that jumped out as actually being pretty good. I thought it would be beneficial to have a place to point out and discuss them.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I like the one where the keyboard cat opens a pistachio.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I thought this one was good because usually when commercials attempt to insert humor they do it in dumb ways, but this was actually a reasonable and effective way to make their point. And it’s really funny, not dumb funny.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I liked the Justin Bieber commercial during the Macy's parade. \:D/

Super Bowl commercials are always interesting; I think football is garbage, but I'm kind of looking forward to what they come up with.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Good one Tiger, I liked that too.

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I also liked the Super Bowl commercial. \:D/
"What's a 6G?"

"What's a Bieber?"

"I dunno, kinda looks like a girl."
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Super Bowl commercials are usually my least favorites of all time, because they’re just bad. I already said I think most typical commercials are bad, Super Bowl commercials just go even more that way. With the rare exception.

This commercial from Super Bowl XLIV is my favorite Super Bowl commercial so far.

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Last year during the Superbowl it seemed to be 25% local commercials, 25% movie commercials, 30% regular commercials, 10% Superbowl-specific commercials, and 10% actual good Superbowl commercials.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Superbowl commercials are less exciting now because they are all online before or after so its not a big deal if you see them or not when they air. :(
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

In my family we either mute the commercials or change channels because they are evil. Sometimes we cover our eyes for the really bad ones too.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Awww, come on, guys. The Superbowl commercials are hilarious. \:D/

Some of my favorite commercials are the Allstate mayhem commercials.

But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This is another one I thought inserted humor properly.

Gets the point across well while being funny but not ridiculous.
Honey Wheeler
OK

Post by Honey Wheeler »

That one is pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... er7b29mreA
The Christmas Target Lady ROCKS!!!

I love words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them.
~Anne Rice
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Normally we mute commercials. :P However, I've taken a liking to the Geico commercials, and we'll unmute for those. \:D/

Oh, and we watched the Super Bowl VW Star Wars ad from last year online....very cute. :lol:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

This one is doubly rare. Not only is it a commercial I like, which makes it rare enough, but it also completely violates one of my traits of a bad commercial.
One of the things I can’t stand at all is when the content of a commercial has nothing to do with the subject. It just drives me absolutely nuts. Except, apparently, this one exception.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m a Star Wars fan or what, but I actually really like this commercial even though the content has nothing at all to do with what it’s supposed to be advertising.
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Laura Ingalls wrote:Oh, and we watched the Super Bowl VW Star Wars ad from last year online....very cute. :lol:
Oh yes, that one was absolutely fabulous. :lol:

The Bud Light commercials are always funny too. \:D/ My favorite is the one from Super Bowl 44 with the house made of Bud Light cans.

Video removed lol. I suppose it wasn't exactly appropriate for everyone on here.
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

bookworm wrote:This one is doubly rare. Not only is it a commercial I like, which makes it rare enough, but it also completely violates one of my traits of a bad commercial.
One of the things I can’t stand at all is when the content of a commercial has nothing to do with the subject. It just drives me absolutely nuts. Except, apparently, this one exception.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m a Star Wars fan or what, but I actually really like this commercial even though the content has nothing at all to do with what it’s supposed to be advertising.
I know what you mean, bookworm, but I still like this commercial because it has dogs in it.
Last edited by Sapphire on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

When did beer commercials featuring guys looking in on a woman showering become acceptable to Christians? Or to ToOers?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I saw this commercial last night and laughed out loud.

Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

American Eagle wrote:When did beer commercials featuring guys looking in on a woman showering become acceptable to Christians? Or to ToOers?
But.... It's funny.... :anxious: