Is music bad?

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.

Should I delete my secular music?

Yes
6%
No
59%
Maybe
35%

Total votes: 17

Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Okay...for the record I don't listen to Bad Religion. At all. Now...

I don't think the music we listen to defines us. If it did, I would be some punk kid from the late '90s with green hair. What we listen to and who we are are not exactly the same thing.
he/him | a little stinker.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Okay...so since music doesn't define who we are, it's okay to listen to Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and Eminem just because that "doesn't define us"? I'd like some clarity on this one.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

Anna><> wrote:I was reading this one website and it basically said CMT was of the devil and causes divorces and all sorts of bad stuff. Now I've been listening to country music for a few years and I know that not all of it is good, but this site got me to start questioning whether I should listen to it, or any other secular music at all. The site was extremist but it had some convincing arguments. Now I'm just left here wondering if I should delete all the music off my iPod or not. What do you guys think? Should I delete it all or not? If I delete it I'll have plenty of aio, dgl, and podcasts to listen to. I just like some of it for working out with but if God is against it I'll delete the music.
Anna, I think this is something you should pray about for sure. Its easy to see a strong opinion on something and just become convinced that it's for you when it's not. At the same time if it's God speaking to you, you don't want to rationalize, or put him off.
I know of 2 girls that threw away their iPods when they got saved. They both knew that their iPods were stumblingblocks for them. I on the other hand, have no problem keeping certain secular songs on my iPod. Every person has different standards and God calls us to do different things.
I wouldn't attempt to tell you what you should do in this situaion. But I would say pray hard and look for older godly counsel on the subject! :)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Okay...so since music doesn't define who we are, it's okay to listen to Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, and Eminem just because that "doesn't define us"? I'd like some clarity on this one.
I agree. Now, listening to Lady Gaga doesn't mean that you look and act like her. .or Ke$ha. .but if you're listening to them, isn't that, to some part, defining you? What defines you is what you do, and how you act. And what you listen to is a part of that.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Steve wrote:
BobbyCow wrote:It's not necessarily bad. But if you start listening to songs that cuss and have inappropriate lyrics, well yeeeaahhhh that's obviously not good. =; Classical, Coutnry, Rock 'N' Roll, and Pop, those are all fine. As long as cussing and inappropriate lyrics aren't involved with them. :shame: And nobody should listen to music about singer's making fun of Jesus/God or Christianity, I mean, I don't know about you but when I listen to people like that it just makes me angry. :evil: I get angry easily, I guess. :?
Okay, here's a question about the singer making fun of Jesus/God or Christianity. What if listening to say, Bad Religion's music helps you understand what you believe? What if someone questioning your faith makes you want to deepen it all the more? This can happen.
That's fine I guess. But I wouldn't listen to it for fun. Maybe for research or something but if you actually like the song and sing the lyrics to it, well, I don't know... it just seems wrong if you're a Christian. :?

Double post fixed: Musical Shutterbug.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I'd like to make an educational point: Not everything played by an orchestra, that is instrumental, or is old is classical. It is more probable that it is not classical.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

31899 wrote:Not everything played by an orchestra, that is instrumental, or is old is classical.