The story of Hubert Cumberdale. RIP dear friend.

a story i have to share.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
ique
Found

The story of Hubert Cumberdale. RIP dear friend.

Post by ique »

In light of my goldfish's recent death, I thought I'd share his story. That may sound strange, but he was the best fish I ever had, and this last week of his life was surprisingly profound.

In early 2008, I had an aquarium that had recently experienced the tragedy of all of its residents dying. I don't recall the details — I must have made some stupid mistake — but I was disappointed and frustrated. I decided to go out to the pet store and get a couple "stupid goldfish" to occupy the tank with that I would deliberately resist naming, since they would "probably just die anyway". (I was experiencing a fair amount of cynicism after my failure). What ended up actually happening was that my respect for goldfish increased tenfold, and those two fish lived for the next 3 years.

Hubert Cumberdale was a Ryukin goldfish. He started out small but grew to be nearly the size of my hand.
Here he is with his friend Mr Untitled (the fish half out of the picture).

Here he is a year older. His characteristic hump grew more pronounced, and the brown on him spread a bit further.
I miss Mr Untitled a lot too; as you can see he was pretty silly.

He had been sick many times in his life, contracting ick (ichthyophthirius multifiliis) several times, but he always recovered. Now, at some point after I'd had him for at least a year, a brown mark showed up on his left side. It came and went; I figured he changed his style from time to time. =p
Though blurry, you can tell that he had quite a lot of brown at this point in his life.

But this brown spot on his side eventually turned into a growth, that eventually became a tumour, that eventually grew to be nearly as big has Hubert himself.

Luckily, it was benign. He had it for years and he was still healthy. But eventually, the weight of it became too much for him to handle, and his ability to swim began to decline. He already had some difficulty with how fat he was, and the tumour just made it worse. Eventually it didn't even matter how much the tumour had come to weigh — its mere presence interfered with his balance, and he started flipping over.

The poor thing remained this way for quite some time, wavering between floating on the top and sunk on the bottom. It got to the point where he could no longer swim to the top to get food, and the tumour had a number of new growths on it. It became necessary that I hand-feed him, and I knew that the tumour needed to be removed somehow. Surely fish aren't happy if they can't swim. That's like a bird who can't fly.

My dad suggested using an ultrasonic spot remover, a machine used by aestheticians to remove skin blemishes. Given the fact that both of my parents are hairdressers and aestheticians, there was one handy. I put it off for weeks, though, because I was nervous. I called a veterinary doctor from New York who had successfully operated on a goldfish and left a message with some questions, but he never called me back. It finally came time that we needed to do something, so on a saturday night we brought one of the machines home and set it up. I was getting really, really nervous; I knew that without anaesthesia, Hubert wouldn't survive the stress of the operation. After some time of thinking, debating with myself whether or not to put it off until sunday and basically attempting to cope with the imminent death of my beloved fish, I decided we might as well get it over with.

Me, my dad, my mum, and my boyfriend all went to my room with a couple towels. My dad was going to make the incision while I held the fish in a towel in my hand. He readied the machine. The spot remover tool had a needle tip that was supposed to cauterise the wound at the same time it cuts. I gently picked up Hubert from the water and placed him in the towel, dabbing some of the moisture off of him. The tumour completely lost its shape once it left the water. It became this pulpy mound of flesh that just slopped over on top of him, which was going to make things considerably more difficult. My dad began to cut away at the tumour, and it started to fall apart. We were all REALLY tense. We put him back in the water for a few moments so he could take a breath.

The tumour at this point was tattered and ugly. I picked him up again and placed him on the towel, and my dad continued working at the tumour. When it began to bleed I started crying. Some of the guts slopped onto the floor and I really lost it. We quickly got as much of the tumour off as we could and put him back into the water, and he sunk down. He was breathing heavily and a faint cloud of blood was dissipating from the torn-up tumour. This was an extremely difficult thing to watch. My dad told me to wash and disinfect my hands, so I went into the bathroom, still crying, and my boyfriend came in after me and hugged me, also crying. I'm pretty sure my mum cried a little bit as well, and you could hear the thumb-snapping of my dad's nervous ticks starting up. This was really difficult for my family. I don't think any of us realised how big of a deal this fish was until now.

This was all right before dinner. My boyfriend and I lost our appetites completely and sort of just wandered around the house looking traumatised.

A bit later, the blood finally clotted. And believe it or not, he did survive the surgery. He was still alive in the morning. That sunday I called all around town to see if there were any aquatic vets, but it turns out there aren't any at all in my city. The problem was, even though he survived the surgery, he still couldn't swim any better than before. All we really managed to do was take a bit of weight off, which, helpful as it was, didn't improve internal problems. My best guess was that the tumour was suppressing his swim bladders in such a way that he couldn't hold himself upright. (This was confirmed later during the autopsy. One swim bladder was considerably larger than the other, and neither were large enough to support his weight anyway).
He was stuck on his side on the bottom of the aquarium all weekend.

On monday night, I saw that he wasn't doing very well. At times he had stopped breathing. So I decided to build him some kind of makeshift fish hammock that would hold him upright and keep his side from scraping on the rocks any longer.
This is what came of that:

It was pretty successful. He wiggled out of it a couple times, but I finally got him secured in a way that was hopefully as comfortable as I could make it. I sprinkled some fish flakes into the aquarium and moved Hubert over towards them so he could experience eating like a normal fish again. His appetite was decreased, but he did eat a little.

The next morning (today), I saw that he had stopped breathing. He was officially gone.
I was really sad to discover this, but very grateful that he'd gone out relatively comfortably rather than during the traumatic surgery.
Today was pretty gloomy... especially because I was dreading the funeral that I had to conduct tonight.

Flushing him down the toilet isn't really an option. He's much too big, and he's much too special for that kind of funeral.
I was planning on mummifying him.

So that's what I did tonight. I had to gently remove his organs, rinse him off, and pack him in salt and baking soda. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It's a lot different when the animal isn't alive anymore. Live operations, on the other hand, are heartbreaking.

Now, he's officially buried. I'll miss him a lot... he was an incredible, miraculous fish. This whole experience was very profound for me and my family. It was also a lesson in priorities and the importance of even the smallest of God's creatures.

Thanks for reading, and remember that goldfish are amazing animals. RIP Hubert Cumberdale.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

At first I thought this was a joke, but I understand D: Losing a pet, even a fish, is hard :(
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Aw, ique, I can relate to this. :(

My dearly departed fantail goldfish Othniel died a couple of years ago, after having lived with me for a little over five years. He ended up dying of liver failure which, apparently, is common with goldfish when they get fatter and older. Anyway, he started out as this tiny little thing in a 2-gallon tank that my college roomate and I bought so we could have something living in our dorm room in Ohio. During this time, Othneil traveled to Cleveland, Akron and Columbus and stayed with friends there when I had to return to Minnesota for holiday. In fact, there would often be arguments over who would get to watch him during Christmas or Spring break. ;) Two years later, he moved with me out to Michigan and lived there for one and a half years and then, when I finally moved back to Minnesota, he joined me there, where he lived for almost another two years in a 20-gallon tank he had all to himself (he was pretty big).

Anyway, Othneil is buried in my family's backyard. I think it was tougher when he died than I thought it would be, largely because he was around for so many major, life events (college, law school, first job, moving, etc) so it hurt to see him leave.

Sorry to hear about Hubert. Will you be getting another fish? I never did...
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am so sorry for your loss, ique. :( I've lost quite a few pets in my lifetime. When I was a little girl, I lost a fish that I loved dearly. So, I kind of know how you feel. There is nothing like loosing a beloved pet. Even if it's a fish. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Are you trying to make me cry and remember my dog getting hit by a car? :( I can feel ya.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
ique
Found

Post by ique »

Sherlock wrote: Sorry to hear about Hubert. Will you be getting another fish? I never did...
I will be, but not a goldfish...
I've got a couple aquariums running that have other fish that have been around half a year or so. In Hubert's tank there's still Terry and Darrel the guppies, Turnip the upside-down catfish, and Ferdye the pleco (he's been around actually a surprising amount of time.. the full length of both Hubert and Mr Untitled's lives, plus longer I think, but he's always hidden so it's basically like he's not there. o_O)
It was actually quite lucky that it even worked out to have Hubert and the others in the same tank. When I was setting up the second aquarium, we must have put fish in before it was completely ready. We waited a few weeks, so this was unfortunate... but several of them ended up dying. So we quickly put the survivors in Hubert's tank, at the risk of Hubert swallowing them. And he didn't! They've been living there happily ever since. But it only worked out because of how old and slow he was... if I were to get a new goldfish the others would have to move back to the old tank (that's now more than stable). But I'm definitely not ready for new goldfish, anyway. I'll stick with other fish for a while. My heartstrings need to recover. >_>
Knight Fisher wrote:Are you trying to make me cry and remember my dog getting hit by a car? :( I can feel ya.
Aww... I'm sorry to hear that. I lost a cat a few years ago, one that I grew up with... actually, by a tumour as well. Really not a fan of these tumours.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I'm sorry ique. Losing a pet is never fun :(
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

*plays Enya song* :(
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I completely feel your pain. I've lost pets before, and it always makes me cry so hard :( It may sound silly, but animals are so...trusting and sweet. They don't ever laugh at you and they're always ready and willing for a hug.
*insert provocative quote here*
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

:(

I'm sorry about Hubert, Bean.

I was never a 'sob over pets dying' kind of person until just recently when I attempted to relive my childhood by purchasing a turtle for comfort purposes. It died within twenty-four hours. As did his replacement. It still depresses me to think about it. :(

*hugs Bean*
don't forget the rain.