So. Homeschool.

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

So. Homeschool.

Post by jelly »

Assuming that a majority of you have been homeschooled in the past, I want to hear your varying opinions. Do you believe the method of home education is far superior to the public school system? Why, exactly? To what extent should children be 'sheltered' from the secular culture?

Think of this as a personal study/poll of mine. ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

One word.

DARWINIAN EVOLUTION.

Ya, I dunno, that's mostly it. :p I don't exactly get why I couldn't just go to public school and then my parents would just say "evolution isn't true - go read Genesis," and then it would be fine. I mean, you run into that stuff anyways. But, I can see how it could be damaging to one's worldview when one is bombarded with non-Christian stuff everyday for 6 hours. Not that that's what public schools do, but at least that's why some people do homeschool.

And there's the quality issue. I mean, with some PROFESSIONAL teaching, we could easily eliminate a few years of primary school, and maybe even catch up to China. That's what homeschooling basically is.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Jelly wrote:To what extent should children be 'sheltered' from the secular culture?
That has nothing to do with homeschooling.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I'm home schooled, and have been for my entire life, while I'm not completely against going to school, I think homeschooling is the ideal situation. Why? When you go to public school, you are there at least six hours a day, they for the most part, are not supportive of Christian beliefs. (teaching evolution, etc...) and being in that situation for a large part of the day is going to affect you, be it in a negative or positive way. I've seen this happen to friend of mine and of our family way more often than I would like to, they end up rebelling against what they were taught, and try to be "cool".

Now, I'm not saying that this is the normal reaction to students educated in the public school system, or that it's evil or anything like that, all I'm saying is that when a child (or by this time, young adult) goes out in the world, away from their parents, and has been around bad influences six hours a day, five days a week, and thirty six weeks a year for 12 years, they might handle things differently than someone who spent the majority of their time as a child being taught by their parents. Again, I'm not trying to bash public school or anything, just speaking from what I see around here. Also, the schools around here are really bad, there's one high school that is downright unsafe, so yeah.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Eh, I think its a personal thing. I've been homeschooled my entire life. And the main problem I have with it is I don't get enough social interaction. But that is just me.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

The whole thing about evolution in public schools is extremely overrated. I think that in biology we spent maybe 3 classes total talking about evolution per year. It's not focused on AT ALL in the schools here. It's not like you're being bombarded with atheism all the time in school
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Well, it may be like that in your school, Anna, but other schools may be worse. xD I like the education I get by homeschooling. Like KF, the biggest problem is very little social interaction. I really want to hang out with people. I just can't... cuz' I'm homeschooled... It's a toss up between better education (than I would receive in a Christian/public school) and social interaction. I would think that better education is...better because if one is homeschooled all of his life and has very little social interaction and if that one goes to college, he will have more social interaction. So in the long run, I think homeschooling is still better. Does any of this make sense?
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

Anna><> wrote:The whole thing about evolution in public schools is extremely overrated. I think that in biology we spent maybe 3 classes total talking about evolution per year. It's not focused on AT ALL in the schools here. It's not like you're being bombarded with atheism all the time in school
You are my hero Anna><>. The only time evolution was ever mentioned in my school life was a few years ago. I spent about 1 class period on it. My teacher didn't believe in it, most people know it is a theory meaning it hasn't been proven so it isn't true. And the only class we really talk about religion in is government, my teacher asked once, most of the time she just wants to know if there are any muslims so she can ask them about their faith in realtion to the news artical someone picks for current events. Though there arn't any in my class. Public schools tend to try to leave religion and other things that people may find offensive out of the classroooms so no one get's offended or wants to find a reason to sue the school.
Jesus' Princess wrote:Now, I'm not saying that this is the normal reaction to students educated in the public school system, or that it's evil or anything like that, all I'm saying is that when a child (or by this time, young adult) goes out in the world, away from their parents, and has been around bad influences six hours a day, five days a week, and thirty six weeks a year for 12 years, they might handle things differently than someone who spent the majority of their time as a child being taught by their parents. Again, I'm not trying to bash public school or anything, just speaking from what I see around here. Also, the schools around here are really bad, there's one high school that is downright unsafe, so yeah.
It also depends what kind of family the person has, I have been in private school before, and all of us were of the same faith, I led a very sheltered life for most of my years which I am very thankful for. Depending on how good the public school is can depened on what kind of influences you have and what kind of people you will meet. There are 3 or 4 highschools north of where I live that people don't want to go to because of bad things, so they transfer in for the magnet program. Depending on family life and enviornment can influence on what kind of person you will become or choose to become.
Last edited by Graces4you on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Whitty Whit wrote:Well, it may be like that in your school, Anna, but other schools may be worse. xD I like the education I get by homeschooling. Like KF, the biggest problem is very little social interaction. I really want to hang out with people. I just can't... cuz' I'm homeschooled... It's a toss up between better education (than I would receive in a Christian/public school) and social interaction. I would think that better education is...better because if one is homeschooled all of his life and has very little social interaction and if that one goes to college, he will have more social interaction. So in the long run, I think homeschooling is still better. Does any of this make sense?
Dude. Play sports or something. :p Homeschooling frees up so much more time for extracurricular activities, many of which involve social interaction...

I'd say right now that the main reason I'm doing what I'm doing is because of the ginormous waste of time that is public school. School from 6-3, then homework from 3-9? Is that really necessary?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

ric wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:Well, it may be like that in your school, Anna, but other schools may be worse. xD I like the education I get by homeschooling. Like KF, the biggest problem is very little social interaction. I really want to hang out with people. I just can't... cuz' I'm homeschooled... It's a toss up between better education (than I would receive in a Christian/public school) and social interaction. I would think that better education is...better because if one is homeschooled all of his life and has very little social interaction and if that one goes to college, he will have more social interaction. So in the long run, I think homeschooling is still better. Does any of this make sense?
Dude. Play sports or something. :p Homeschooling frees up so much more time for extracurricular activities, many of which involve social interaction...

I'd say right now that the main reason I'm doing what I'm doing is because of the ginormous waste of time that is public school. School from 6-3, then homework from 3-9? Is that really necessary?
There are no sports teams or anything like that that I can be involved in. :P

xDD Exactly. That's my spiel about public school.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Even in my public college we only spent less than 5 minutes on evolution in biology class. In organic chemistry my teacher always emphasizes that these things we study are just theories all the time.

(And if you want to succeed in college you most likely won't have a social life then either. I wake up at 7, start class at 8, and am at the college until 2 or 5. Then when I get home I eat supper and do homework and studying until 11-12 every night and then sleep. So if you don't have a social life when you are home-schooled, you probably won't have one in college either. But who knows. I'm in pre-med right now so that could be contributing to my lack of a social life.)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Anna, that's Canada. ;) We live in the politically correct, tolerant USA. My friend had to suffer through evolution being stuffed down his throat in a biology class. I've also heard other stories from others saying the same thing. The public school that doesn't push it is a rare one, imo.

On the social subject, I couldn't care less. I'm more of a loner, so youth group and the two days I take some classes out of the house is plenty for me, provided I get to see my best friend on a somewhat regular basis. :P
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Exactly what Termite, Whitty, and ric said. Homeschool lets me finish much earlier (I start at 8 and end around 1, and I do most of my homework right after each class). I mean, who wants to stay in school 2 more hours and then do homework? :p And public school includes bullying as well \:D/

Aaannnd I like being able to eat during school.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Gaius wrote: Aaannnd I like being able to eat during school.
This is always good. xD
#FOREVERKITTY
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Whitty Whit wrote:
Gaius wrote: Aaannnd I like being able to eat during school.
This is always good. xD
Of course \:D/ Pizza helps Geometry sound easier :yes:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

ric wrote:Dude. Play sports or something. :p Homeschooling frees up so much more time for extracurricular activities, many of which involve social interaction...
Well I probably would Ric. Except for the one tiny detail that I physically can't :p.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

I think that most people are talking about the moral standpoint, so I won't go into that. The reason my parents decided to homeschool me is because they read multiple studies all saying that homeschoolers are typically smarter than standard schoolers. And don't everyone jump on me saying "Golly Gee Whilikers!!!! YOU STEREOTYPICAL BIGOT!!!11!!!" because that is just plain and simple: a generalization. There were multiple tests that both Homeschoolers and Regular Schoolers took, and Homeschoolers were generally smarter.
EDIT:
lol, I just re-read my post (For spelling errors and whatnot) and the thing automattically changed O.M.G. to Golly Gee Whillikers! :p
Last edited by Mark Prescott on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Mark Prescott~
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I just like to sleep in. :anxious: My parents were all like, yeah go to public school. Get outta my hair. Stuff like that.
But having more time during the day to spend doing fun stuff instead of homework is so much fun. \:D/
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

Shadowfax wrote:I just like to sleep in. :anxious:
Lucky. :( My dad makes us wake up early.
~Mark Prescott~
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I normally get up before seven. But if I am really tired my mom let's me sleep in.