Darude, and other Electronica Artists

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Darude, and other Electronica Artists

Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Does anyone else like his stuff? I'm just kind of getting into Electronica music, and I think his stuff is pretty good. I like it because Electronica is pretty much the only style of music with a good strong beat, that doesn't have many words. Pretty much the only words in an Electronica type song are just the same words repeated over and over again, and they usually aren't very bad words. (You can usually figure out if the words are bad by looking at the title. The title is usually the same thing that the repeated words are throughtout the song.) I like a good beat every now and then, but I don't like most of the hip-hop/top 40 etc. stuff that's been coming out lately, mostly because the words are just meaningless trash, often sprinkled with crass innuendos and profanity. But as far as Electronica goes, I have a top three. M83, Daft Punk, and Darude. I just want to know what you all think. Please don't let this become a huge debate on the evils of music. :shame:
Anyway, please leave your comments below! I want to know your oppinions.

(P.S. The music videos for alot of Electronica songs are a little odd. Not usually bad or anything, but just kind of weird. Just thought I would give you the heads up, should you check youtube or something for this type of music.)
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I listen to a lot of techno (mostly house and ambient stuff, some trance) but haven't really heard of any of the people you mentioned other than Daft Punk. Some of my favorites are Orbital, Chicane, BT, Prodigy, Oakenfold, Art of Trance, ATB. Blank & Jones, etc. I also have some Ministry of Sound records and a lot of alternative stuff that verges into ambient like Air, Enigma, Moby, Deep Forest etc.

My love of this music is basically an evolution of my earlier love of classical music because there's a lot of crossover. Like classical, a lot of electronic stuff is formulaic and a lot of "sounds" are really fantastic, if developed well. I really love when artists mix genres/time signatures because you often get some pretty awesome results. Recently I've been listening to a lot of world/fusion stuff which is often more or less ambient. I guess some of A.R. Rahman's stuff might fall into this category.

If you'd like any specifics as to any of these artists just feel free to ask, I'd be happy to share some of the songs I like.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

That's alot of the kind of stuff that Darude does. Darudes most famous piece, by the way, is "Sandstorm." It came out in 2000, I believe, and it's one of my favorites.

What kind of house do you like? All of it, or just certain types? I really enjoy progressive house, peronally.
They/Them
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

I'm only recently trying out trance/house/electronica/techo music. I heard some track by deadmau5 and fell in love. Like Sherlock, I think my love of classical music gave me a better appreciation of this genre. I'm new to scene, so I'll have to give all those artists you mentioned a listen. \:D/ I have heard Darude's Sandstorm, and it was good enough.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I like Poorly Built Parachute, this random indie drum and bass band I found (you can download their album for free http://www.poorlybuiltparachute.bandcamp.com). Other than that, I like the odd song.

However, the music has to be really interesting if they're going to play the same thing over and over again.

Those of you who love classical music, you should check out post-rock, like Sigur Ros or Explosions in the Sky. It's got tons of classical influences.

edit: I just found The Ice Dance by Bachelors of Science in my brothers music file. Pretty cool. \:D/
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

For those that get bored by ambient, I should probably specify that I only like interesting ambient. ;)
Chicane's "Offshore" is a good example of this, while "Sunstroke" is a bit less ambient sounding but still good.

A good example of a song that builds in an interesting way is Orbital's early 90's "Halcyon and on and on". It has some backmasked vocals which keeps it interesting.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

How about some ToOer-made electronic music?

http://www.purevolume.com/SteveTheBorin ... cttoChange

The page says Steve the Boring Light Guy, but I want to change the name to Galaxy Station.
he/him | a little stinker.
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

If anyone gets PRI or NPR radio, see if you can find out when a show called "Echoes" comes on in your area. I listen to it every night. They play alot of the kind of ambient, electronic music, and it's really beautiful. I fall asleep to it every night.

-- Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am --
Steve wrote:How about some ToOer-made electronic music?

http://www.purevolume.com/SteveTheBorin ... cttoChange

The page says Steve the Boring Light Guy, but I want to change the name to Galaxy Station.
Oh wow! I really like those! Deloria is probably my favorite out of the four. What program do you use? Maybe in the future, you could make them a little longer? But great job! I'm sitting over here just dancing in my seat! Love it!
They/Them
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

I use Darkwave Studio and some assorted VSTs I found all over the internet. Yeah, Delorian is probably my favorite too....

And I'm working on a Christmas project, which is, yes, a little longer.
he/him | a little stinker.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I've always liked electronic, I don't listen to it a whole lot though. lol, Now I'm going to be listening to it all day.. xD

@Smaug - Ghosts n Stuff? :p
...I hate marquees.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

J-man wrote:I've always liked electronic, I don't listen to it a whole lot though. lol, Now I'm going to be listening to it all day.. xD

@Smaug - Ghosts n Stuff? :p
I believe that was the first track I heard, and one of my favourites. :yes: I also really like 'Strobe', 'Animal Rights', 'Some Chords', 'FML', and 'Lack of a Better Name'.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I've been rocking BT's "Divinity" this morning from wayy back in 1995. Kind of mixes some chill-out trance with what I think sounds like some sitar and piano loops. Pretty neat stuff. Cafe Del Mar is another favorite, and Leslie Round's "Calling Back" is a song that I can listen to over and over. :)

Finally, I don't know if you guys like house music but, "Grace" is pretty old-school and considered one of the top house tracks from that era.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »