guest browsing

Come here to voice your comments, concerns, and questions with the mayor and their aides!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

guest browsing

Post by bookworm »

I’ve been noticing an unusually large number of guests hanging around lately. It got me wondering how many of them are actually true guests, that is, people without accounts here.
Do any of you ever hang around and read stuff without being logged in? I don’t, because I am set to always be logged in. And if I’m on a different computer I always log in first thing. But then I got to thinking maybe not everyone does that.
If you’re on a computer where you aren’t logged in and you come here, do you log in immediately or do you browse a bit and see if there’s anything you want to reply to, since that’s all that would make you actually need to log in?
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I usually am logged in automatically, but if I'm on a different computer or iPod I usually log in first thing.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Hm.. Sometimes I log in. Sometimes I don't. I log in to see if Josh has spammed the RHQ at all. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I am logged on automatically on my laptop. If I'm on a different device, I always log in before I do anything else.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Do members that have their log in status hidden show as guests?
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

bookworm wrote:Do members that have their log in status hidden show as guests?
They didn't, but maybe it's broken. It registers me as "guest" instead of "hidden". But I've seen "1 hidden" when I've been logged in... :-k
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Whitty Whit wrote:But I've seen "1 hidden" when I've been logged in
Oh, now that you mention it I have too. :yes:
OnceBittenRose
Not as new

Post by OnceBittenRose »

Sometimes I think I'm logged in, but then I go to reply to something and it says I'm not. So no I don't always sign in first.

http://theblackrose.forummotion.com/

Sorry no pic that you can click and go to it. It is my new forum.and is up and running again.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

If I just need to check something real quick, and I'm on a different computer, I'll often just check what I need to without logging in.

CZECK REPUBLIC!
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I'm always logged in.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Well there for awhile I was on as a guest because I was suspended! On my home computer (the one I access the ToO 99% of the time) I am automatically logged in. When I'm on my mom's iphone I log in sometimes but not always.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

I log in immediately :yes: I don't want to waste time reading posts without being able to reply =P
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

I am automatically logged in on my Computer and iPod.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Gaius wrote:I log in immediately :yes: I don't want to waste time reading posts without being able to reply =P
Exactly. :yes: Drives me nuts when I have to turn around and sign in and go back in order to reply.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Yeah, I'm always logged in.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Gaius wrote:I log in immediately :yes: I don't want to waste time reading posts without being able to reply =P
Exactly. :yes: Drives me nuts when I have to turn around and sign in and go back in order to reply.
Yeah, same here.

I always log in right off. There has only been a couple of times where I was just browsing without being logged in....but again, that was only about two or three times.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

You do get counted as a guest when you first open the board without being signed in.
I checked out who was browsing and noticed we're getting a lot of traffic from the Baidu spider, a search robot. Its useragent wasn't properly set, and so I've changed it. This may reduce the number of guests you see in the future.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

darcie wrote:I checked out who was browsing and noticed we're getting a lot of traffic from the Baidu spider, a search robot. Its useragent wasn't properly set, and so I've changed it. This may reduce the number of guests you see in the future.
I don’t think so, I’ve seen that spider listen by name before. It wouldn’t also be listed as guest, would it? That would be marking it twice.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Just before I changed it posted, I viewed the guests online. Nineteen were that bot all with different IPs. That's why it was listed so many times! The useragent in the admin area was set to the old one, so it wasn't picking it up correctly. Now that I've edited it and check the users online, I don't see a million of it browsing various parts of the board. Just the one correctly identified by name. I'm pretty sure that will help. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

So I guess we aren’t as popular as we looked. :(

:P