My campus was just locked down!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

My campus was just locked down!

Post by bookworm »

I was sitting in my usual spot studying, and just as I was about to go to class the alarm went off. Assuming it was the fire alarm, people started for the doors. Until the automated alarm voice said “Please remain inside. It is dangerous to go outside.” This is new. So we stop in our tracks, wondering what’s going on. The voice continues, “The air and ventilation system need to be shut down.”

Staff began directing students to the Shelter In Place rooms. Mine was the College Board Room. Once inside, the staff locked the door. The live alarm voice informed us that someone had released hazardous fumes into our air system. The staff proceeded to seal the door. Some stragglers knocked on the door but we couldn’t let them in.

After a few minutes the live alarm voice said there would be a two way radio check in with each SIP. Each room then proceeded to acknowledge radio contact. Then the all clear was sounded and the door was unsealed.

It was a drill.
But it was exciting. I’ve witnessed a number of fire drills in my days here, but never one of those before.
Last edited by bookworm on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

Woah. That sounds... intriguing. You gotta wonder why they did a drill for something like that... :-k

*searches on Google for a possible location of bookworm's campus*
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Whitty Whit wrote:You gotta wonder why they did a drill for something like that... :-k
To practice for the possible event of someone doing that? Maybe? :-
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

DanP740 wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:You gotta wonder why they did a drill for something like that... :-k
To practice for the possible event of someone doing that? Maybe? :-
I know that... :P I was being sarcastic. Facetious.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Wow! I don't know whether to be jealous or be thankful that's never happened to me. :D

But hey, even though it was a drill, you got some great exercise out of it!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Was today the official testing day? I got like three phone calls from my old college (they apparently think I'm a current student) saying they were testing their emergency alert system.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Whitty Whit wrote:*searches on Google for a possible location of bookworm's campus*
Nice try, but before I posted I did a search for SIP to make sure it was a standard thing. ;)
Peachey Keen wrote:Wow! I don't know whether to be jealous or be thankful that's never happened to me. :D
I would say jealous. It was actually kinda fun. Probably just because I knew it was a drill though.
The Top Crusader wrote:Was today the official testing day? I got like three phone calls from my old college (they apparently think I'm a current student) saying they were testing their emergency alert system.
That’s interesting. I don’t think it was a planned day, because my instructor said they knew this was coming for weeks, but only that it would be ‘sometime this week’ so it didn’t sound like an organized event, just a test of our singular system.
Mark Prescott
Still standing tall

Post by Mark Prescott »

I had an event like that over the summer. Except it wasn't school. And it wasn't a drill.
~Mark Prescott~
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

bookworm wrote:I was sitting in my usual spot studying, and just as I was about to go to class the alarm went off. Assuming it was the fire alarm, people started for the doors. Until the automated alarm voice said “Please remain inside. It is dangerous to go outside.” This is new. So we stop in our tracks, wondering what’s going on. The voice continues, “The air and ventilation system need to be shut down.”

Staff began directing students to the Shelter In Place rooms. Mine was the College Board Room. Once inside, the staff locked the door. The live alarm voice informed us that someone had released hazardous fumes into our air system. The staff proceeded to seal the door. Some stragglers knocked on the door but we couldn’t let them in.

After a few minutes the live alarm voice said there would be a two way radio check in with each SIP. Each room then proceeded to acknowledge radio contact. Then the all clear was sounded and the door was unsealed.

It was a drill.
But it was exciting. I’ve witnessed a number of fire drills in my days here, but never one of those before.
Oh, when I 1st saw this my 1st thought was "What did Bookworm do now?" Which is ironic because you don't seem like the type to get in trouble. None the less it was still my 1st thought!

At my school of 600 we had a lock down for the drug dogs that lasted two class periods like 2 years ago. 6 years ago we had a lockdown for the whole afternoon because some kid brought a bomb to school. BTW: the bomb was a sharpie!
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

bookworm wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:*searches on Google for a possible location of bookworm's campus*
Nice try, but before I posted I did a search for SIP to make sure it was a standard thing. ;)
Argh. No wonder I couldn't find it. :(
#FOREVERKITTY
Graces4you
Love to love
Location: Somewhere in a Beautiful Valley That everyone ought a see.

Post by Graces4you »

The school I go to, about 3 years ago a kid brough bullets to school and so he stuck them in a garbage can or something like that and that night the janitor found them. The next morning the school went into lockdown for 4 hours. The police had to go through every single locker, give or take 2,500 or so. The kid was expelled and it left a tale to tell.

Visit Sundays Emporium for all your gift giving needs!!! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:Oh, when I 1st saw this my 1st thought was "What did Bookworm do now?" Which is ironic because you don't seem like the type to get in trouble. None the less it was still my 1st thought!
I would expect your first reaction to be ‘is bookworm alright’ not ‘did bookworm cause it’ :(
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

bookworm wrote:
Stop Wooton' Around wrote:Oh, when I 1st saw this my 1st thought was "What did Bookworm do now?" Which is ironic because you don't seem like the type to get in trouble. None the less it was still my 1st thought!
I would expect your first reaction to be ‘is bookworm alright’ not ‘did bookworm cause it’ :(
I just now caught what SWA was saying. Hehe. SWA, I don't think bookworm would cause something like this. If anything, he would be like MacGyver and save the day. ;)
#FOREVERKITTY
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, interesting, never heard of that!
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

The fire alarm system was just tested a few weeks ago while I was at work, and I have never heard anything as loud as that alarm. It was so loud it made my head hurt, besides scaring the living daylights out of me. I have been traumatized by fire alarms lol.
Last edited by Aeva on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Aeva wrote:It was so loud it made my head hurt, besides scaring the living daylights out of me.
This too. The hazardous fumes siren is much shriller than the fire alarm siren, it makes your right brain feel like it’s going to explode. Which is probably not the best choice, because that alarm is the one that signals when you need to stay inside and can’t get away from it.
Whitty Whit wrote:I don't think bookworm would cause something like this. If anything, he would be like MacGyver and save the day. ;)
:lol: Yeah, I’d make a gas mask out of a paper clip and a stick of gum. :P
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

bookworm wrote:
Whitty Whit wrote:I don't think bookworm would cause something like this. If anything, he would be like MacGyver and save the day. ;)
Exactly! See, all Doctor Who fans, MacGyver is much more epic than any Doctor ANY day of the week! *hmph*
#FOREVERKITTY
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

I would have to agree on that one.

WATERMELLON!!!
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Whitty Whit wrote:
bookworm wrote:
Exactly! See, all Doctor Who fans, MacGyver is much more epic than any Doctor ANY day of the week! *hmph*
{glares} :hammer: Dr. Who is awesome. Can't be beat by MacGyver.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

bookworm wrote:Some stragglers knocked on the door but we couldn’t let them in.
:anxious: lucky for them it was a drill...

Oh, and MacGyver FTW. :p