10 Years

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

10 Years

Post by Jesus' Princess »

10 years ago today the world trade center was hit, forever changing America. What do you remember about that day?
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Well considering I was 1... not much :( I feel sad today though.
Destiny J. Adams
Not as new

Post by Destiny J. Adams »

I was six and living in Cheyenne Wyoming at the time. My parents got rid of our TV when I was four, but we had one in the house at the time because my dad was using for some online seminary courses. We got a call from my Dad's parents telling us to turn on the TV and we did and I remember that we sat there for hours watching all the news coverage. It was absolutely horrifying. I can never understand how anybody could do something like that and live with themselves afterward.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I was at home that day watching "May We Make Them Proud" IMHO the biggest tear jerker Little House on the Prairie episode you'd ever want to watch. During a commercial I flipped to Good Morning America (I think) and the first WTC tower had been hit. I jumped up and ran to another part of the house to tell my brother. To this day that Little House episode reminds me of 9/11.
Last edited by Laurie on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

I remember that my parents were very agitated. I didn't really know what was going on and they didn't tell me. I eventually found out what happened the next day. And it wasn't just the World Trade Centers.. It was the Pentagon and flight 93.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I was six, and all I remember was that I was bored because my parents were watching the news all day. :P
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Whitty Whit: I know it was flight 93 and the pentagon as well, I was just summarizing it quickly :)

I was only five at the time, however I do remember that day because I had a family member on a flight into New York City that morning. Being in west, it was 6:00 in the morning when we got a phone call with the news, I remember my parents watching the TV and listening to the radio all morning, my mom was crying and we were all praying for this family member, even though I was only five, I remember knowing that he might die, and praying hard that "God would keep the plane in the air" :)
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I was 8 and sitting in my grade 3 classroom. My teacher decided she should tell us what was happening and she brought a TV into the classroom and showed us a little of what had happened. That's one of the only things I remember from when I was in grade 3. It was a sad day.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I was 14, so I remember it pretty well. I believe I was in a chair downstairs knitting, and my siblings came running downstairs to tell me my granny called to tell us about it. We only had a small TV with bunny ears that was not set up normally, so we hauled it out and watched the news about it.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

EMBEE wrote:I was six, and all I remember was that I was bored because my parents were watching the news all day. :P
Hmm... Same with me. Except I was five.

This song pops into my head.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/qIGomFSk9ok[/youtube]
he/him | a little stinker.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I was at home that day watching "May We Make Them Proud" IMHO the biggest tear jerker Little House on the Prairie episode you'd ever want to watch. During a commercial I flipped to Good Morning America (I think) and the first WTC tower had been hit. I jumped up and ran to another part of the house to tell my brother. To this day that Little House episode reminds me of 9/11.
I find it ironic and sad that episode was airing. In that episode, Alice dies in a building on fire and broke a window trying to escape and get out. she had a baby. I know it is a horrible sad episode.
----

Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September Day ??

I had just started at Toccoa Falls College on August 27, 2001. I lived in Edgewood Dorm with some older guys. We had just gotten a TV for the dorm the night before. I talked to my friend Kate Schultz who had been battling cancer and told me she was in remission and had just visited Toccoa Labor Day and I was upset with myself for missing her.

I got up at 8:45 for 9:10 class and showered having no clue what was going on. I got online, but my roommate Mikal had homepage to TFC. So I did not see any news. I walked to class. It was in Christian Ed building, and Dr. Harley Atkinson was the professor. It was normal. I shared prayer request of thanks for Kate. A girl misunderstood and prayed for her having cancer. Class was normal.

After class, I told the girl praise she was over cancer. This is just after 10. Dr. Clarence Wulf came in and told us there had been a tragedy. My first reaction was a student or faculty or staff had been killed in an accident. He then told us of the attacks. When he said planes, I thought one had landed on campus. It was worse than that.

Chapel was supposed to be introducing faculty. It was postponed. There was many rumors going on. Many false rumors. Chapel was full of prayer and singing and lasted a long time. We went to Student Center and lunch. Some stayed. Some left. We saw horror on TV and saw the towers had fallen. We ate lunch in sadness. I got online and read about it all. We stayed glued to TV and news. Classes may have been cancelled.

I walked to Admin building, and the radio was on. Everyone was sad. We watched the news that night. The Braves were supposed to play a big 3 games with the Phillies, but no one cared anymore. All games were cancelled. Sports Center and news was really sad. It was a sad horrible devastating day.

Let us never forget and always remember everyone who died that day and keep their memories alive. It was a sad day. Let us remember for always.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I was 15 and sitting in biology class. Due to construction at the school we didn't have tv access, and even internet was kinda slow and sketchy. Early on we found a picture of the towers burning. By the time I was in my second class of the day the first tower had fallen and the second tower fell just as we got a radio working. I spent most of the day listening and getting news through the radio. I didn't see any televised news or video until after 5.

I spent most of the day concerned for people I knew out there. My Dad at the time had a friend through work living in NYC, and another friend of the family works for the FAA and lives about a half hour south of DC. And one of the leaders of the rebellion on flight 93, Tom Burnett Jr., was a native of my hometown, having graduated from my high school.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I was 11, at home sitting at the kitchen table, and my mom got a phone call from her friend who had watched the news about the Twin Towers and other attacks. Mom hung up and told me what happened; and I asked if it was an accident :p
We watched TV practically all day and my dad taped the news. I believe we still have those vhs tapes documenting that day.
I think of the stories I've read about people trapped in there, and being rescued and not only the tragedy that occurred but how they found hope in God and in people's compassion for one another.

Till the end of the line.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I was 15, my parents called in the morning to tell me to turn on the television and I watched for the rest of the day. Even at that age, I don't think I really fully understood or appreciated what was happening.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I don't remember the day very well, but my mom does. We were about to go somewhere, but them my grandma called. She told my mom to turn on the television. She did, but apparently, my mom did not completely register what had happened because we still went on the errand. When we returned, my mom finally understood what had happened. Since I was only five at the time, I did not fully realized what had happened until a few years later.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

It seems like no matter who you are, you'll never forget where you were when you heard the horrific news for the first time. I was six, and it was my first day of school. My mom was just starting to teach me the letter A when my dad ran into the room telling us what had happened. I don't remember much else or being scared, but looking at the news clips later still is really frightening.

\:D/
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I remember it really well....we were eating breakfast and Grandma called on the phone saying that she wasn't home but she heard something really big was happening and we should turn on the news. So we did and we watched the second tower fall... :(

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I was 8. I remember it like it was yesterday. Can't remember if I was in 2nd or 4th grade. One of the teachers was Mr. C at my school. It's almost like January 26th, 2004. I remember that day like it was yesterday too. But, I had gotten up, and my dad and sister were just about to leave, my mom was still in bed, and the TV was on. Since it was about 6 am our time - who knows why I was UP, but it was all over screen, the first tower on fire. Since my school was so small, we didn't get the confirmation if school was on or not, so my mom took me to school. My sister went with my dad. We got to school and Mr. C told us we weren't having school. My mom didn't work that day, so we came home and watched the news all day. I remember the news being on 24/7 for at least a week it seemed. I remember going "Can we go back to our regular programming now?!" after a few days. To a little kid, I knew what had happened - not necessarily understood - but I wasn't sure we needed that much coverage on stuff that had passed. I was eight... come on!

I just recently, like yesterday, finished the book by Lisa Beamer, the wife of Todd Beamer, who did the counterattack on Flight 93. Just reading about how others were experiencing that day... put some perspective to it. And maybe Bush wasn't all that bad to begin with - I can't say he was perfect, but he got handed a horrible plate too.

The day was... unforgettable. Though, I read somewhere that we need to let go. I wonder... how do you know we HAVEN'T let go? So, we remember? Dec. 7th is a remembrance day for Pearl Harbor. People were lost. I remember Beckie's death and Jonna's death and BJ's death like they were yesterday. Because some people are unforgettable. Sept. 11th may not have affected the whole world, but it sure affected a lot of people. Like Pearl Harbor. Like WWII. Plus, ten years is still pretty fresh, I gotta be honest.