Bye Borders

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Bye Borders

Post by bookworm »

Is anyone going to be affected by Borders bookstore going out of business?
I’m going to miss it. I didn’t go there a lot because there isn’t one in my town, but when I went to the neighboring city that had one I always stopped in. I’m a member of their email club thing so I got coupons for stuff. It’s a shame to see them go.

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I will miss it I know that. I have not been in to any of the stores in my area since the announcement. I just don't have the heart to go, too sad.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m going to try to get in there at least once more before it closes, I have a 40% off anything.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

They're CLOSING? *sob* I always liked that place. :( We don't have one where I live, but we like going to them when we can. I just saw one in Baltimore... guess I should've stopped in. :(

I actually never buy books from bookstores. Amazon usually has them a lot cheaper.

\:D/
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I buy from Borders online and Barnes and Noble online :shrugs: I won't really miss them their aren't any near my neighborhood.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

I have never been to one. My family gets most of their books from here. http://www.alibris.com/ Much cheaper.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

I love Borders so much. :( Tis very sad.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

it's been forever since I've been to one, but it used to be my favorite bookstore...well, between that and barnes and noble. Probably won't affect me directly a whole lot, but it is a shame that it's going out of business after so long :(
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Where I live, Borders and Barnes & Noble are across the street from each other. Nevertheless, our Borders was around long before B&N, Starbucks, etc. When it first opened, it was one of the only "coffee shops" in town, PLUS it had all the books you'd ever want. At the time there were no other big bookseller chains, so Borders' 2 floors of books with the winding, spiral staircase at the center was pretty impressive. I remember begging my parents to drop me off there so I could hang out and read magazines and stuff. ;) I remember spending long afternoons studying for the SAT there and the LSAT.

Then, when I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, there was a massive Borders store (I think AA is the headquarters of Borders). That store was great, and they always had really good deals for starving college kids who wanted to read fiction! \:D/

Long story short, I preferred Borders to B&N even though I had a suspicion that the latter would win out in the end due to more aggressive marketing strategies and the nook, etc. Nevertheless, it always seemed to be "trying too hard" and you also had to pay to join the B&N Member Club, while the Borders Book Club was free. They also used to stock all the good, British Dramas at a 40% discount that B&N either didn't carry or charged a fortune for. :(

Good memories.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Literally, I just realized now why there was a picture of the president at the Mexican border talking about the store closing. >_> Slooooow mind.

ANYWAY, I'm sad. I've gotten a few of my books there, so it's still kind of sentimental. Ah well. There's B&N still. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

Uh... Is it bad that I never hear of Borders until I read this.

Therefore, I'm pretty sure I won't miss it.

Somebody's waaaayyy out of the loop.
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Termite wrote:Literally, I just realized now why there was a picture of the president at the Mexican border talking about the store closing. >_> Slooooow mind.
I thought the cartoon was hilarious, even though the situation is sad.
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

This is very sad... I LOVE going to Boarders :(
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

bookworm wrote:
Termite wrote:Literally, I just realized now why there was a picture of the president at the Mexican border talking about the store closing. >_> Slooooow mind.
Yeah. That's the only funny political cartoon that I've ever read. \:D/
he/him | a little stinker.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Oh! I get it! *awkward late laughing moment*

At least you got it faster than me. ;)

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

bookworm wrote:
Once I got it, yeah- I laughed. Hard. It just took me a bit. :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just came from my last visit to Borders. :(
A lot of things were gone. I didn’t buy anything, but at least I said goodbye properly, by browsing.
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I love Borders!! I am going to miss it dearly. Actually, I've bought more DVDs there than books... :anxious:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Me too. I got TV Shows on DVD there.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I wondered what was going on when I saw a giant Borders in Boston with huge signs on it talking about it going out of business...I'm going to miss going there. :( It was the closest bookstore to my grandmother's house, and we used to go up there when we visited her.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog