Horses!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Horses!

Post by bookworm »

A few weeks ago, a lady came to our house and asked if we would be willing to board three of her horses. They were at a place down the road a bit, but there was some problem there and they wanted a new place. After reviewing the paperwork and such we agreed.

She set up the additional fence they needed and will supply the food and equipment and her or her daughters will come out every other day or so and check on them and ride them and everything. We’re just supplying the property.
Basically, we now have three horses for absolutely no cost or work. \:D/ We’ll actually get paid monthly for the use of our land.
They brought them over this morning and they’re grazing in the field.

I know a number of you ride horses. Do any of you own and/or keep horses?
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

You're getting paid to keep horses?? No fair... :noway:
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I know. We’re getting paid to do absolutely nothing, they’re taking care of everything. \:D/
I didn’t know they were going to pay us at first, I just heard ‘no cost to you’ and I was going to give my approval and then they’re like ‘and you get paid’ and that sealed the deal. :P
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Wow, that's so totally cool \:D/ Money talks, doesn't it? :- What kinds of horses are they?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Do you get to ride them? \:D/

I like horses okay, and I really enjoyed riding the 2 times I have. It would be nice to be able to ride more...
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I used to ride all the time but then my horsey died. :(
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Shadowfax wrote:I used to ride all the time but then my horsey died. :(
This is tragic! I'm sorry. :(
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Wow, that is completely awesome. I wish I lived more in the country like that :( I love riding, but I've not had any formal training, nor do I own any...just get to ride occasionally. Would be nice to do it more though. Someday...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Invisible Ninja wrote:
Aw, really? That's no fun.

While on the subjects of horses, I will say I do not ride. I mean, I've ridden on horses a few times, but that's where trained people help everyone, so I won't brag ;)

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

That is very cool, bookworm! I wish I could get paid for something like that.
Marvin D. wrote:
Invisible Ninja wrote:
Aw, really? That's no fun.

While on the subjects of horses, I will say I do not ride. I mean, I've ridden on horses a few times, but that's where trained people help everyone, so I won't brag ;)
Aww...I'm sorry to hear that, Shadowfax. Like Marvin, I have ridden horses with a trainer right next to my side. I love horses, and I would probably ride them regularly if I wasn't allergic to them. :(
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

…yeah, major twist in this story.

It happened while I was away yesterday so I don’t know the exact details, but apparently there’s some issue with the fencing and instead of trying to resolve it they just pulled the horses out and moved on to find another boarder.

I’m pretty upset about this for a number of reasons.
First, they had already put the horses in there and said we were good to go, so why didn’t they realize there was a problem before that?
Second, the issue was with the fencing they added, not our original fencing. I think they should have known whether it was going to work or not since they’re the ones that did it all.
Third, we’ve been working out the details of this for weeks now, I don’t understand why they’d abandon it all and move on to some totally new place without even trying to rectify the situation here.

I’m quite bitter at the moment. It’s not really disappointment, as we didn’t loose anything from this, it’s more just shock at the turn of events that occurred. From our dealings with them leading up to this I was sure that if some problem arose they would at least try to work it out before giving up on us. They claimed to genuinely want the horses here.

So apparently in less than 24 hours we got and lost free horses.
*hunts down whoever created that saying about ‘too good to be true’*
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Aww, I'm sorry. :( Romans 8:28?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Disappointment and shock are somethings that none of us enjoy, and I've had a lot of that recently :/ I'm sorry, bookworm :(

SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

bookworm wrote:…yeah, major twist in this story.

It happened while I was away yesterday so I don’t know the exact details, but apparently there’s some issue with the fencing and instead of trying to resolve it they just pulled the horses out and moved on to find another boarder.

I’m pretty upset about this for a number of reasons.
First, they had already put the horses in there and said we were good to go, so why didn’t they realize there was a problem before that?
Second, the issue was with the fencing they added, not our original fencing. I think they should have known whether it was going to work or not since they’re the ones that did it all.
Third, we’ve been working out the details of this for weeks now, I don’t understand why they’d abandon it all and move on to some totally new place without even trying to rectify the situation here.

I’m quite bitter at the moment. It’s not really disappointment, as we didn’t loose anything from this, it’s more just shock at the turn of events that occurred. From our dealings with them leading up to this I was sure that if some problem arose they would at least try to work it out before giving up on us. They claimed to genuinely want the horses here.

So apparently in less than 24 hours we got and lost free horses.
*hunts down whoever created that saying about ‘too good to be true’*
:( That majorly stinks. That's a lot of time that you all took to negotiate it and figure it out to lose the whole deal...I wonder what happened. it seems it would have been worth it to them to try to negotiate through the situation and adapt instead of giving up altogether...unless somebody offered a place for free? But super frustrating for people who planned on the horses being there and the like...and with them adding fencing already...almost seems they should pay you since they did stuff to your property.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I'm so sorry to hear that, bookworm. :( It's no fun to get something and then have it taken away from you so quickly.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I just don’t understand why we went through all this if it’s just going to end this way.
If they had called during the week and said it wasn’t going to work it would have been fine, but to get so far and then have it all fall apart is just maddening.

The only consolation is that they already paid us for the first month Tuesday morning, so we come out $50 ahead for doing now literally nothing.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm sorry, bookworm :( that's awful.

and here I was going to say how I've been to horse camp 5 times, and ridden horses additional times in other places over the years. It's pretty fun riding horses; I remember as a kid, me and my church friends would talk about saving up for one. *smiles at the memory*

Till the end of the line.