PHC - Clarification

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

bookworm wrote:
bookworm wrote:You don’t watch live tv because there could be objectionable content in things like commercials.
But you do use a tv machine for things like movies, because then you have complete control over what you’re seeing.
Do I have it so far?
odysseyfan1 wrote:Yes. :)
Okay, good.
Now transferring that to computers (assuming you use the same standards there) the reason they are okay is because you also have control over which sites you view? So it’s assumed to be the equivalent of using a television machine, not the live television where you have lessened control?
Yeah. We actually don't have filters right now on our laptops. (We don't have internet at home btw) But you can control what you see.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Okay great. If that’s the reasoning you’re using then I see where you’re coming from.
But, I think you matched the devices wrong.
I’m pretty sure the internet would be the equivalent of the live tv, not the tv machine.

With a tv machine: You can only view what you expressly put on it through a tape or dvd. You couldn’t view the bad channels even if you wanted to.
With live tv: There are multiple channels you could view, some bad, but you choose which to put on the screen.
With the internet: There are multiple sites you could view, some bad, but you choose which to put on the screen.

Why do you see the internet as the equivalent of complete control over a tv machine when it’s rather obvious (to me) that it should be matched with the live tv? :-k
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Who even needs live TV when you have the internet, though? :P The internet has everything.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It doesn’t have Jeopardy. :(
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It doesn’t have current Jeopardy. :(
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Just... google search for yourself. The internet has everything, I tell you! :x
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I have, numerous times. It must be the only thing it doesn’t. :(
The Hippie
Processing

Post by The Hippie »

If you're worried about things being evil, why do you even step outside your door and talk to people? People are evil right? You can't control what they do.

Love Peace, Love music, Love life.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Hippie wrote:If you're worried about things being evil, why do you even step outside your door and talk to people? People are evil right? You can't control what they do.
This. post.

Not that I agree that 'people are evil', but I'd like to see an answer to the 'why do you even step out your door' question.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." People are inherently evil.

And let's be reasonable; staying hidden behind closed doors is not a feasible (or healthy) option. We're people, and we have to function in the real world just like everyone else. Nobody, no matter how conservative, can seal themselves into a little sin-proof bubble and avoid the world. TV can be avoided; large parts of the internet can be avoided; the society we live and work in, however, cannot be. They want to do without TV, that's their decision, but it's not the equivalent of trying to live in an evil-proof bunker all your life.
Last edited by Amethystic on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Amethystic wrote:"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." People are inherently evil.
Well, yes, if you subscribe to the theology of total depravity, they are. But if you don't then human beings are merely sinful creatures and not thoroughly polluted with evil, a la Luther's snow-covered dung heap.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Sinful, evil, the degree of pollution may vary from person to person, and all human beings are created and loved by God, but until we come to Christ we're not living for the right reasons.

*cough* But anyways, that's probably another discussion for another time. :anxious: Back to the topic at hand...
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

The Hippie wrote:If you're worried about things being evil, why do you even step outside your door and talk to people? People are evil right? You can't control what they do.
Jesus commands us to tell the world about him? We couldn't really survive without going outside? (Of course there is online shopping, but then you have to have internet which is worse than being outside) Are those enough reasons? ;)
bookworm wrote:Okay great. If that’s the reasoning you’re using then I see where you’re coming from.
But, I think you matched the devices wrong.
I’m pretty sure the internet would be the equivalent of the live tv, not the tv machine.

With a tv machine: You can only view what you expressly put on it through a tape or dvd. You couldn’t view the bad channels even if you wanted to.
With live tv: There are multiple channels you could view, some bad, but you choose which to put on the screen.
With the internet: There are multiple sites you could view, some bad, but you choose which to put on the screen.

Why do you see the internet as the equivalent of complete control over a tv machine when it’s rather obvious (to me) that it should be matched with the live tv? :-k
Ads?
Last edited by odysseyfan1 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Um there are ads on this website...
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I don't get ads on this website. >_>
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

It's just the occasional little green text ones for me.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Knight Fisher wrote:It's just the occasional little green text ones for me.
That used to happen all over the web for me, but I haven't seen any of the green text ads in a long time.

But, Luke, if you want to see ads, go to Marvin's blog: www.theaiofanslife.jigsy.com. It always has ads running across the top of the page, and some of them can actually get quite inappropriate. :anxious: But he has no control over them, so don't blame him. ;)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
bookworm wrote:I’m pretty sure the internet would be the equivalent of the live tv, not the tv machine.

Ads?
What about them?
Aeva
Pretzel
Pretzel

Post by Aeva »

Hey, OF1, I have a question. (I promise I am not trying to be snarky, but I have been dying to ask this question for a while now.)

Do any of the girls in your denomination play sports? I'm just curious because I love soccer, and it would be a tad bit uncomfortable to play soccer (or other sports such as basketball, volleyball, or tennis) while wearing a skirt.
But break my heart, for I must hold my tongue. --Hamlet.
StrongNChrist ~ Remembered Forever <3
Men who kill without reason cannot be reasoned with. --Stoic the Vast
Let's go down together for one more chance. The skeletons are screaming for one last dance. --Hawthorne Heights
Tell 'em turn it up 'til they can't no more. Let's get this thing shakin' like a disco ball. This is your last warning, a courtesy call. --TFK
You have nice manners for a thief and a liar. --Smaug
I know you mean well, but leave me be. Yes, I'm alone, but I'm alone and free. --Elsa