The Dark Knight Rises news!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

You either die a critic, or you live long enough to see yourself become an adrenaline zombie.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Godzilla wrote:I am kind of wondering why so many little kids were at a midnight release to a movie like that, but ah well. :(
I absolutely agree with this. One couple brought their baby to the show...that baby was shot and seriously wounded. What the kree? Hello! Young children (a BABY, in this case) should be in bed that late at night! Especially when you consider that The Dark Knight Rises is almost three hours long. So you would make your child stay up until around three AM? (Probably later.) And this isn't even taking the noise level into account! This world is such a sad place.

...and I could go on to speak about the content in this movie that will be inappropriate for younger viewers, but I won't.
The baby wasn't shot. The parents feared that it had some exposure to the gas used. That's why it went to the hospital.

People have reasons for taking babies with them. Whether it was lack of a babysitter or not wanting to leave their child, the fact that a child was there didn't draw the shooter, and it has nothing to do with the fact that a horrific event occurred early Friday morning.

And for that matter, children that young will sleep through anything, and I have no doubt that the parents would have taken the child out if it had gotten noisy.

So in short, please stop judging victims of what just happened. I'm sure if you were there, you would have done something different, but as far as I know, you weren't, thank god, so spend your time praying or sending well wishes for these people, as opposed to being an armchair parent.

Tyler and Jelly, you're cute. It's like watching Siskel and Ebert all over again.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Theaters should ban babies and young children, period. Especially at midnight releases. :noway:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Tyler Durden wrote:You either die a critic, or you live long enough to see yourself become an adrenaline zombie.
WHY SO CRITICAL!?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Mike Lowery wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:You either die a critic, or you live long enough to see yourself become an adrenaline zombie.
WHY SO CRITICAL!?
Because sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded. :x

..mine wasn't. :(
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jelly and EK, WIN.

You know, I've been saying how upset I am at this film and the shooting... while I'm The Joker. I feel like I should change my avatar out of respect for the dead. >_>
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Joker wrote:You know, I've been saying how upset I am at this film and the shooting... while I'm The Joker. I feel like I should change my avatar out of respect for the dead. >_>
Yeah, I was gonna make some sort of comment about how ironic that was, but I didn't want to appear insensitive. :anxious:

And actually, I did get this really sick feeling inside my stomach during the gunfire scene close to the beginning, when the incident would have taken place. It quickly passed, though. But it was disturbing.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

At least the Joker gave Sting a way to rejuvenate his career.

After ripping off the Crow he was bound to move on eventually. :(
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Marty McFly wrote:
Musical Shutterbug wrote:
Godzilla wrote:I am kind of wondering why so many little kids were at a midnight release to a movie like that, but ah well. :(
I absolutely agree with this. One couple brought their baby to the show...that baby was shot and seriously wounded. What the kree? Hello! Young children (a BABY, in this case) should be in bed that late at night! Especially when you consider that The Dark Knight Rises is almost three hours long. So you would make your child stay up until around three AM? (Probably later.) And this isn't even taking the noise level into account! This world is such a sad place.

...and I could go on to speak about the content in this movie that will be inappropriate for younger viewers, but I won't.
The baby wasn't shot. The parents feared that it had some exposure to the gas used. That's why it went to the hospital.

People have reasons for taking babies with them. Whether it was lack of a babysitter or not wanting to leave their child, the fact that a child was there didn't draw the shooter, and it has nothing to do with the fact that a horrific event occurred early Friday morning.

And for that matter, children that young will sleep through anything, and I have no doubt that the parents would have taken the child out if it had gotten noisy.

So in short, please stop judging victims of what just happened. I'm sure if you were there, you would have done something different, but as far as I know, you weren't, thank god, so spend your time praying or sending well wishes for these people, as opposed to being an armchair parent.
Lack of a babysitter is no excuse. If people can't find babysitters, they should stay at home. And I say this from experience with people who don't use babysitters. Kids are annoying and not every adult wants to see how annoying your child can be simply because you can't find a babysitter. Also, I've been in movies where the baby wakes up.

People shouldn't have their kids out after 9 in the evening, 10 at the latest, movie or not. I'm not judging victims, I'm stating a fact that most good parents should know . The shooting has nothing to do with it, but simply that child shouldn't have been there, shooter, hurricane, twister, or not. Especially considering this wasn't an Elmo movie, but a dark, scary, and violent movie.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yeah, babies in a theatre are extremely annoying in the first place. I almost wanted to punch the one that was in spiderman. ;)
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Adults can be just as annoying or more so than kids.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Yeah, but at least they have a purpose for being there.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah... I have been in too many where the parent doesn't take them out. And that's just talking babies.

Now just taking a 6 year old to a movie like TDKR at all is kind of iffy in my mind, but whatever, I'd probably have loved it at that age... ;) BUT to a midnight showing? There is no good reason for that. If you can't find a babysitter then you don't go, that's what being a responsible adult entails.

Also if I invite you to my house for a birthday party, you should get a babysitter. FYI. Sigh.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:If you can't find a babysitter then you don't go
That’s what the shooter’s neighbor did.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Not annoying theater goers and looking out for the betterment of your child saves lives!
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Aragorn wrote:Why didn't you like it Caswin?
There were parts of it that did not have Catwoman.

Ahem. It's hard for me to articulate why I didn't like it, because it's both such a complex movie, and there's just so little I really did like about it. It somehow manages to be overly long while at the same time skipping over important plot details and leaving other things severely underdeveloped.

For example, Bane's escape from the airplane at the beginning might have more exciting if I'd knew who was involved, why they were fighting, and what he was doing with that IV tube(?), but what I think was supposed to be an explanation goes by in a few very rushed lines at the beginning. I heard something about mercenaries, something about a Dr. Pavel... and... wait, why are these things happening again? Maybe someone can explain it to me, now, after the fact, but...

I do mean that part about Catwoman: Everything I remember liking about the movie involved her. (It's not just because Anne Hathaway looks good in a skintight unitard.)
Last edited by Caswin on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I have heard some good things about Catwoman, which encourages me... I'm not a fan of the character OR of Hathaway, but all indications are it ends up coming off well... so that's cool.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

She's an entertaining character, no doubt.. but I kept waiting for her to have a 'purpose' for even being there, and I never seemed to find one. I'm pretty sure her character could have been cut from the script completely without changing any of the major plot elements. :|
Last edited by jelly on Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Ah. I was worries she was just there because Catwoman is a popular character. Kind of like Venom in Spider-man 3... but I assume it wasn't quite to that extent.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Actually, I totally think that Chris Nolan pulled a Spiderman 3 with this one, trying to include one too many character arcs and plot structures in one movie. I can only imagine how much extra material must have ended up on the cutting room floor. Sign me up for the director's cut.