Should Christians look different?

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

She's not saying you can't have an opinion; you just need to be careful with the "I'm close to God". At lot of people are, and we still have different opinions. Words are powerful, so you just need to be careful about wording, especially around non-Christians or Christians who may think they're inferior in their faith. :yes:

It's not about changing opinions, it's about discussing the differing ones. *shrugs* That's the fun of the ToO. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Parker Family
Smile for the camera

Post by Parker Family »

Recant my views which were ill spoken.
Last edited by Parker Family on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Wow...a lot of y'all here are a lot more modest than I am. :anxious: Maybe it's just my personal experiences and environment (I live in the South, seriously), but I read Lee's posts about only wearing skirts and things like that and I'm really surprised. (And for the record, Lee, you wouldn't last long down here in the summer.)

Honestly, I'll go outside in a running tank top and Nike shorts and I've got no issue--neither do my parents, and we're all Southern Baptist conservatives. I was even on a church trip at Panama City Beach where they allowed Nike shorts to worship--and there was no issue (I didn't partake, but I wish I had on that morning where we went outside to the beach to spell our retreat theme name out and got pegged by dagge--I mean raindrops).

The only places where I know I have to dress according to my school dress code are at school (obviously) and during "official" worship services (like Sunday/Wednesday sort of thing) and then it doesn't really bother me. I didn't really know it was a problem, and I still don't think it is. I don't think we should completely conform to our culture, because it would defeat the purpose if we did, and if you want to dress that way out of your own convictions, that's cool, but I really don't think Jesus ever had an issue with Christians dressing in the fashion of the day so long as we could do so modestly. (Like layers. Love me some layers.)

-- 04 Oct 2011 07:43 pm --

Wow...a lot of y'all here are a lot more modest than I am. :anxious: Maybe it's just my personal experiences and environment (I live in the South, seriously), but I read Lee's posts about only wearing skirts and things like that and I'm really surprised. (And for the record, Lee, you wouldn't last long down here in the summer.)

Honestly, I'll go outside in a running tank top and Nike shorts and I've got no issue--neither do my parents, and we're all Southern Baptist conservatives. I was even on a church trip at Panama City Beach where they allowed Nike shorts to worship--and there was no issue (I didn't partake, but I wish I had on that morning where we went outside to the beach to spell our retreat theme name out and got pegged by dagge--I mean raindrops).

The only places where I know I have to dress according to my school dress code are at school (obviously) and during "official" worship services (like Sunday/Wednesday sort of thing) and then it doesn't really bother me. I didn't really know it was a problem, and I still don't think it is. I don't think we should completely conform to our culture, because it would defeat the purpose if we did, and if you want to dress that way out of your own convictions, that's cool, but I really don't think Jesus ever had an issue with Christians dressing in the fashion of the day so long as we could do so modestly. (Like layers. Love me some layers.)
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Well you have to dress for the weather, I think. No sense passing out from heat stroke.

(Hey, speaking of clothing, I now wear a school uniform. \:D/ Polo shirts and boring pants. Skirts and ties on formal days. Kind of bland most times, but I deal with it.)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Parker Family wrote:Well I'm against having Tatoos because of these verses

If you believe that having a Tatoo is honoring God with your body... Thats between you and God (its not my part to intervene), but to me, I believe that it is wrong.

Not to offend anyone ;)
I don't want any tattoo ever, but I'm not really convinced that it is wrong if its like... a scripture reference or a cross, or even something not religious but very meaningful like... your anniversary, child's name and birthdate, parents name and the date they died or something, or maybe something representing your branch of the military (my great grandpa had a tattoo of his army platoon's logo from World War I). However something like... a butterfly or flower or something, or BARBED WIRE or flames I'm not really keen on them being "glorifying to God" but I guess it depends on the intent of the person. A good friend of mine has some logo from a video game or something on his arm and a big robot, lol. It is cool, I guess, but... >_>

I sometimes think of what I would get a tattoo of if I was FORCED to get a tattoo and they are all somewhat more meaningful than that. >_> Okay, I would get Captain America's shield. :(
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

A lone tattooed, heavily-pierced, biker dude is a Christian!!!! *gasp* And people are all gagging at the thought. \:D/

Yes, Christians should look different. But they don't have to be extreme. You don't have to go in white tie garb to a social teen activity or anything like that. :P Don't look like the modern day gangs, etc. \:D/
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

@TigerIntheShadows

Wanna bet? ;) I've been outside at noon in 105 degree weather. :yes: I don't believe the things God asks us to do are bad for us. :) Look at the pioneer women! Working over fires while wearing heavy skirts to below their ankles. ;) If they could do it then we can too!

\:D/
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

@Adah
True, God never asks us to do stuff that is bad for us.. But we may interpret something that He told us and the way we interpret it is faulty, and we come up with stuff that will be bad if we do it. Does that make sense to anybody? \:D/

Pioneer women.... What year is it? I seem to have forgotten... True, we can do it. Just.. that was the way they dressed then. Nowdays, people don't dress like that. Sure, you can wear stuff like that, but people are going to wonder about you.... "Oh, he/she's a Christian.. If they have to dress like that, I don't want to be a Christian."

Ya gotta wonder...
Last edited by Whitty Whit on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
TigerintheShadows

No one said God asked us to do that, anyway--that's really just your interpretation.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

TigerintheShadows wrote:No one said God asked us to do that, anyway--that's really just your interpretation.
Talking to me, or Adah?
#FOREVERKITTY
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Probably me. ;)

I think the bottom line is this. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change my mind. We each have to do what God has specifically led us to do, and I'm not condemning anybody just because they don't have the same standards I have. One things for positive: nobody had ever been denied entrance into paradise because they were too careful in their lifestyle on Earth. ;)

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Lee wrote: One things for positive: nobody had ever been denied entrance into paradise because they were too careful in their lifestyle on Earth. ;)
Perhaps not, but there was some unhappiness about the dude who wasn't willing to risk things and buried stuff or whatever.
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

That's withholding things from God. As far as I know, wearing pants is not a talent I'm withholding.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

ARGGGHH.... I SERIOUSLY wanted to wear baggy pants and the stupid looking gangster caps with the flat bill today.... :( I guess I can't though. :(
#FOREVERKITTY
TigerintheShadows

I'm not trying to change your mind (and yes, Whitty Whit, I was referring to Lee when I posted). I was responding to your post that "I don't believe what God has called us to do is bad for us." I assumed you meant that universally rather than specific to you. If that's what you feel led to do, go right ahead, I won't stop you--I've just never really met anyone who holds themselves and their family to that standard.

Whitty Whit, don't be lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground! :x
AIO tumblr sideblog
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I'm not trying to change your mind (and yes, Whitty Whit, I was referring to Lee when I posted). I was responding to your post that "I don't believe what God has called us to do is bad for us." I assumed you meant that universally rather than specific to you. If that's what you feel led to do, go right ahead, I won't stop you--I've just never really met anyone who holds themselves and their family to that standard.

Whitty Whit, don't be lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground! :x

Wow... We have a church camp and it runs around 1000 people and 90% of them hold our standards. Ever heard of IHC? it's a huge conservative cobfeence and it has a ton of people at it.

Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

TigerintheShadows wrote: Whitty Whit, don't be lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground! :x
I just can't help it. :(
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I was responding to your post that "I don't believe what God has called us to do is bad for us." I assumed you meant that universally rather than specific to you.
And that was a fair assumption, because it’s ambiguous.
It comes down to the question that has been asked repeatedly in these kinds of topics:
What do you mean by “wrong”?
Is wearing pants wrong for all females? Or just for ones that believe it is?
In other words, is it a sin in itself, or is it only a sin when it goes against personal conviction?
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

When it goes against personal conviction, because if you don't want to believe that way, you can't really absolutely back it up with Scripture.

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

In that case, there shouldn’t be a problem here.
You believe that for you, personally, it’s not the right thing to do, so you don’t do it. If you did do it, while still believing it wasn’t right, that would be wrong.
For people who don’t believe there’s anything wrong with it, they can do what they want. They wouldn’t be sinning or anything.