Friday by Rebecca Black

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Friday by Rebecca Black

Post by Over the Rainbow »

This has become my new jam! \:D/

It's fried eggs! Fried eggs! Gotta get down on fried eggs! \:D/
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

ugh.

why do so many people like this? her voice is terrible :(
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Ya, we've already had our long, drawn-out, discussion in the Youtube thread.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

EVERYONE'S heard her by now. ;)

seriously... 50 million views in a matter of weeks is mind-blowing.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

:lol: The song's terrible, but it's strangely endearing. I think it might have something to do with the fact that my entire drama group had a mini dance party on Monday when we blasted the song through the speaker system. XD Best rehearsal ever.
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

^ haha xD

I think her voice is fine, it's just the song..

"Yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday." REALLY? :shock:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Agreed. She's an alright singer--better than most of us, I bet--but the song was... was... there aren't words to describe how bad it was. They shouldn't be hating on RB; they should be hating on whoever wrote that song. XD
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Yuck. The Chipmunks sound better than she does and that's going some.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I would like to make a note before this discussion continues. We are Christians, and of all the people in the world we should be the ones at least using tact in our comments as the rest of the world blatantly insults Rebecca Black.

ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

31899 wrote:I would like to make a note before this discussion continues. We are Christians, and of all the people in the world we should be the ones at least using tact in our comments as the rest of the world blatantly insults Rebecca Black.

Um, yeah, compared to the rest of the world, this thread is OVERFLOWING with tact. :anxious:
mdetective12
I'm memorable

Post by mdetective12 »

~AC~
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

31899 wrote:I would like to make a note before this discussion continues. We are Christians, and of all the people in the world we should be the ones at least using tact in our comments as the rest of the world blatantly insults Rebecca Black.

I really think that the chances of Rebecca Black finding this forum and topic are slim to none. Since the rest of the world is insulting her, why shouldn't we? Someone obviously wanted opinions on this so we are stating them.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Half of ToO wrote:Justin Beaver's a dipwad. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Other Half of ToO wrote:Don't hate on Justin Beaver he's just a normal person!!!!! :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

...But maybe that's just me.

In other news:

No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Laurie wrote:

I really think that the chances of Rebecca Black finding this forum and topic are slim to none. Since the rest of the world is insulting her, why shouldn't we? Someone obviously wanted opinions on this so we are stating them.
By similar logic one could say the rest of the world swears, has pre-marital sex and gets drunk, so why shouldn't we?

She is not terrible, but by the same merit she isn't amazing. I think it is mostly bandwagonning.

Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

31899 wrote:
Laurie wrote:

By similar logic one could say the rest of the world swears, has pre-marital sex and gets drunk, so why shouldn't we?

She is not terrible, but by the same merit she isn't amazing. I think it is mostly bandwagonning.

You can say what you want and so can I.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I’m not a fan of the song, but the negativity can go too far.

Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Uggh I can't stand her voice!!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Are you sure it’s not just the autotune you can’t stand? In the video I posted she sings normally, and I think her natural voice is actually pretty good.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Is it just me or is this THE fastest popularized internet sensation in the history of the internet? Holy poop! You can't avoid it! Especially today since it's the first 'Friday' since it's gone viral. I think that's something it has on its counterparts (David after the dentist, Charlie bit my finger, what have you); there's a very good reason to e-mail it to your friends, make it your facebook status or tweet it or whatever. I can very much see a status, for example, that would read something like this;
random guy on the internet wrote:It's been such a long week! My co-worker showed me this music video and it's so hilarious! Happy 'Friday'! :D
From what I've gathered (I spend all day with 2500 teenagers and sometimes keep myself entertained by analyzing the sociological patterns of their subculture as though it were a seperate species [sometimes I'm convinced it is :anxious: ]), it's absolutely exploded today, even more so than it has the rest of the week. Thus, my prediction is that for the next 3-4 weeks, it will continue to grow in popularity and on each Friday, it will gain 2-3 times the hits it gains on the other six days.

I heard a rumor that it's all a hoax and that she's not actually a musician; she was just trying to make herself an internet icon. Of course they're only rumors but, if she was attempting to make herself an internet meme intentionally, she would be the first person ever to do so succesfully. Several factors do point to this;
  • She's never written/sang/recorded ANYTHING before this and there's been no talk of her doing anything in the future.
  • What the recording company did to her voice sounds very much like they were trying to make it sound not only as bad as possible but, very stereotypical of 'bad' teenage pop stars and thus play off of the attention received by Justin Bieber.
  • It seems to be created in such away that incites parodies; which certainly boost the popularity of such a sensation.
  • The video as a whole seems to be very much fabricated specifically to create a highly hit youtube video.
Of course, maybe I'm reading into this WAY too much. :anxious:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh wow, I didn’t even realize it is Friday today. :lol:
Last Friday I played the video a few times, just ‘cause, and I had the song stuck in my head for literally the whole day.
It actually grows on you.

Edit:

You may be on to something KBT. I just found out that the song has actually made her money.