PHC - Questions Answered

At the Second Church of Odyssey you'll find different ways of expressing your beliefs, finding prayer support or being encouraged through regular devotionals.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

iluvsns wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:
iluvsns wrote::oops:

We have the cheeseburger song but we're not allowed to listen to it. O:) The ones I like are like the Sunday Morning Songs or Bob & Larry's Campfire Songs. (and there are a few not good ones on that CD either)
Are you allowed to watch Veggietales? Do you have to mute it when those songs come on or something? :?
I just have the CDs... no vids. And I put the CDs on my ipod and just don't put the songs on that aren't good. :yes: Make sense?
Uhh...are you allowed to watch Veggietales? Half the fun of the songs is watching the scene in which they are sung! :shock:
odysseyfan1 wrote:Yeah, we don't listen to the Veggietales rock CD's or even one of the songs on, I think it's called, Campfire songs. We do listen to the Cheeseburger song though. :D
So there's a campfire song you don't listen to, but you do listen to the cheeseburger song...may I ask how and why it is different? And how is the Cheeseburger song really much different than a normal, secular, light/pop rock song--aside from the fact that it is about a cheeseburger instead of person?
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

:huh: A childhood without VeggieTales videos is... is... I can't even describe it. And The Cheeseburger Song is classic! :cry: (I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's parents or anything, but please, seriously consider allowing your kids to experience the full joys of VeggieTales growing up. I swear, it won't corrupt them, and it'll give them a lifetime of happy veggie-related memories.)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:No, just don't cut it. People can wear it in different styles.
Shouldn’t you advocate wearing it naturally down though?
If it’s up in a bun you can’t tell it’s long.
If it’s braided that’s a form or ornamentation.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

bookworm wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:No, just don't cut it. People can wear it in different styles.
And actually, depending on the version of the Bible you use, it speaks directly against braiding in 1 Peter 3:3. NIV uses "elaborate hairstyles" but other versions, like the NASB or even the KJV both use braiding...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

So there's a campfire song you don't listen to, but you do listen to the cheeseburger song...may I ask how and why it is different? And how is the Cheeseburger song really much different than a normal, secular, light/pop rock song--aside from the fact that it is about a cheeseburger instead of person?
Well, for one thing, we don't listen to it on, say, a CD, but on the video. That's different than say, just listening to it, because you are distracted with the picture part, and it doesn't seem, maybe, as jazzy. We have't listened to it in a while though. :p
A childhood without VeggieTales videos is... is... I can't even describe it. And The Cheeseburger Song is classic! (I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's parents or anything, but please, seriously consider allowing your kids to experience the full joys of VeggieTales growing up. I swear, it won't corrupt them, and it'll give them a lifetime of happy veggie-related memories.
Heh, have you heard some of Veggietales songs?! For example, the "Shux" song on the bad apple video. ;) We've grown up watching Veggietales, but I don't think we would have been emotionally scarred had we not been allowed. :D
They can wear it long. And yeah, you can tell that it's long when it's in a braid. :D
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
A childhood without VeggieTales videos is... is... I can't even describe it. And The Cheeseburger Song is classic! (I'm not trying to disrespect anyone's parents or anything, but please, seriously consider allowing your kids to experience the full joys of VeggieTales growing up. I swear, it won't corrupt them, and it'll give them a lifetime of happy veggie-related memories.
Heh, have you heard some of Veggietales songs?! For example, the "Shux" song on the bad apple video. ;) We've grown up watching Veggietales, but I don't think we would have been emotionally scarred had we not been allowed. :D
But that song is awesome!! :noway: How could you object to something that extols the awesomeness of Larryboy? And yes you would be!!! :x

And even if you aren't for the whole rock thing, I do think there are cases where minor exceptions can be made to genre selectiveness--say, insubstantial humorous children's songs? ;)
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

And even if you aren't for the whole rock thing, I do think there are cases where minor exceptions can be made to genre selectiveness--say, insubstantial humorous children's songs?
Perhaps, for a song like the "Cheeseburger Song." But once you open the door to a little, why not just listen to the rest. ;)
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
And even if you aren't for the whole rock thing, I do think there are cases where minor exceptions can be made to genre selectiveness--say, insubstantial humorous children's songs?
Perhaps, for a song like the "Cheeseburger Song." But once you open the door to a little, why not just listen to the rest. ;)
Right. Why not? It's not like anything on Veggietales is going to be bad! Just because the music has a nice driving beat, doesn't make it satanic!
he/him | a little stinker.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Steve wrote:
odysseyfan1 wrote:But once you open the door to a little, why not just listen to the rest. ;)
Right. Why not? It's not like anything on Veggietales is going to be bad! Just because the music has a nice driving beat, doesn't make it satanic!
I think he meant ‘the rest’ as in all rock, not the rest of Veggie Tales.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
Eh, I'd say that it's so far removed from the main genre that it's not even an issue. It falls into the "children's music" category, which is a genre all of its own no matter how the music sounds. Listening to a mainstream rock song might make you want to look up similar songs; listening to VeggieTales just makes you want to listen to more VeggieTales, and/or other children's music. \:D/
Last edited by Amethystic on Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

odysseyfan1 wrote:
They can wear it long. And yeah, you can tell that it's long when it's in a braid. :D
Of course you can. I said you couldn’t when it was in a bun - separate thought - and braiding is ornamentation because it could just hang naturally.
SoccerLOTR wrote:And actually, depending on the version of the Bible you use, it speaks directly against braiding in 1 Peter 3:3. NIV uses "elaborate hairstyles" but other versions, like the NASB or even the KJV both use braiding...
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

So, uhh... what's going on in Genesis 6:3? It sounds pretty weird! \:D/
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

@ Bookworm: I meant bun, not braid, sorry. I don't think braids are really considered ornamentation anymore though,but I haven't seen much of it, except maybe in some younger girls/teens.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Wait; hairstyles are relative to the era... but clothes and rings aren't? :-s
Last edited by Amethystic on Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

odysseyfan1 wrote:@ Bookworm: I meant bun, not braid, sorry. I don't think braids are really considered ornamentation anymore though,but I haven't seen much of it, except maybe in some younger girls/teens.
It's not the braids, hairstyle, that is the problem. It is speaking of braiding gold into the hair. What was done back then, so its not the hairstyle that it is speaking of its the act of braiding gold and other precious metals into the hair.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Amethystic wrote:Wait; hairstyles are relative to the era... but clothes and rings aren't? :-s
Lol, that's what I was gonna ask.

Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

SoccerLOTR wrote:
Amethystic wrote:Wait; hairstyles are relative to the era... but clothes and rings aren't? :-s
Lol, that's what I was gonna ask.
Great question, I want to know the answer to that one.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Hmmm, good point. Check out what Stop Wooton Around said.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

But if the rest of the verse is being taken literally, without taking into account variations or differing purposes, why is that part open to interpretation regarding its details? If you can wear a braid that isn't for adornment, why couldn't you apply that exception to everything else? After all, it's debatable that a wedding ring isn't for adornment, especially if it's lacking gems.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

odysseyfan1 wrote:Hmmm, good point. Check out what Stop Wooton Around said.
What he said answers the original question about the braids--but it doesn't answer why you (not having his answer) stated that a certain hairstyle may have been viewed differently in a different time, and would therefore now be acceptable--and why that wouldn't hold true for other things like dress or other cultural changes.