Hobbits, Wizards, and Elves, oh my!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

That's true. I mean, the eagles came what? 4 times in the LOTR? You'd think that they could really have saved some time by having them fly them into the crack. But then again, we wouldn't have a BOOK. The LOTR would be over with the Council of Elrond. :-k
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Trixie Belden wrote:That's true. I mean, the eagles came what? 4 times in the LOTR? You'd think that they could really have saved some time by having them fly them into the crack. But then again, we wouldn't have a BOOK. The LOTR would be over with the Council of Elrond. :-k
Which was still an awesome scene, to be sure. \:D/
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

LOTR is the 3rd best movie series in the world. :inlove:
*insert provocative quote here*
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Trixie Belden wrote:That's true. I mean, the eagles came what? 4 times in the LOTR? You'd think that they could really have saved some time by having them fly them into the crack. But then again, we wouldn't have a BOOK. The LOTR would be over with the Council of Elrond. :-k

That is very true. for pure Epicness J.R.R. Tolkien went with an epic quest. Maybe The eagles were busy :-k What is it exactly that eagles do?
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

thegreenringC wrote:

That is very true. for pure Epicness J.R.R. Tolkien went with an epic quest. Maybe The eagles were busy :-k What is it exactly that eagles do?
They fly around and look majestic and rescue people on their off days. The rest of the time, Gwahier (sp?) and the others are on a beach in Florida somewhere, sipping lemonade and congratulating themselves on how smart they are not to get sucked into some crazy mission...quest....thing.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Trixie Belden wrote:congratulating themselves on how smart they are not to get sucked into some crazy mission...quest....thing.
Nice :highfive:

But SoccerLOTR is right, Elrond should have just pushed Isildur in ring and all.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Termite wrote:Except, for the fact, that they greatly respect Gandalf for his true endeavors and are thus willing to help. :yes:
Oh shoot, I forgot to respond to this. They also would have been eaten out of the skies of Mordor.

Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I feel obliged to note that Haldir gets painfully overlooked in the film. This is unfortunate given that he is quite possibly one of the better secondary characters. \:D/

(Though, I guess the same could be said for Galadriel as well). >_>
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

I think Imrahil was overlooked too. He wasn't that big in the books though. :(
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I'm a little miffed that Tom Bombadil didn't make it to the film. :(
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

31899 wrote:
Termite wrote:Except, for the fact, that they greatly respect Gandalf for his true endeavors and are thus willing to help. :yes:
Oh shoot, I forgot to respond to this. They also would have been eaten out of the skies of Mordor.

...Don't they come in and attack the Nazgul over Mount Doom? :-k

And Treebeard has one of Tom's lines! \:D/ IN the scene where Merry and Pippin are drinking the water, he bellows "Away with you! You should be sleeping. Dig deep; eat earth; drink water. Away with you!" It was what Tom said when the hobbits got stuck in... ah, the forest. I forget the name now. *facepalm* But the whole scene is kinda for Tom. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Dr. Watson wrote:I'm a little miffed that Tom Bombadil didn't make it to the film. :(
He'd be a very hard character to accurately depict. I think.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Did anyone watch Jeopardy last night and laugh when the girl responded "What is the wizard!" when it was supposed to be Gandalf? \:D/ And how no one knew Mordor? :x
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Oh my goodness, I can't believe I missed that! They had LOTR questions? Uggh, the ONE night I don't watch Jeopardy, and that happens to be on!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Trixie Belden wrote:Oh my goodness, I can't believe I missed that! They had LOTR questions? Uggh, the ONE night I don't watch Jeopardy, and that happens to be on!

Yay for Youtube, again \:D/
LOTR questions are at the end.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

That was so funny! Thank you Youtube!
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Trixie Belden wrote:
thegreenringC wrote:

They fly around and look majestic and rescue people on their off days. The rest of the time, Gwahier (sp?) and the others are on a beach in Florida somewhere, sipping lemonade and congratulating themselves on how smart they are not to get sucked into some crazy mission...quest....thing.
LOL, probably true...though I don't think Middle Earth has a Florida...
Dr. Watson wrote:I'm a little miffed that Tom Bombadil didn't make it to the film. :(
I'm not a huge fan of Tom Bombadill...didn't really like him in the book, almost glad he wasn't in the movies! And the movie would have been WAY longer with him!
Sherlock wrote:I feel obliged to note that Haldir gets painfully overlooked in the film. This is unfortunate given that he is quite possibly one of the better secondary characters. \:D/

(Though, I guess the same could be said for Galadriel as well). >_>
Haldir WAS overlooked...though I understand why they did it. Kinda stinks, but at the same time, it would have been another character to introduce and develop ina limited amount of time, and it gave Arwen a bigger part.

That LOTR part on Jeapordy was depressing. C'mon, Gandalf? AND NO ONE GUESSED MORDOR?! {sighs}
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

SoccerLOTR wrote:AND NO ONE GUESSED MORDOR?! {sighs}
I can understand that, really. I think the issue was the phrasing of "home of the bad guys", which could have conjured up the wrong trains of thought to answer "Mordor" in a few seconds.

"Home"... home of the... where was that... wait; wait, hold on... the Black Land... OH WAIT-

Boopboopboop.
Last edited by Caswin on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Caswin wrote:
SoccerLOTR wrote:AND NO ONE GUESSED MORDOR?! {sighs}
I can understand that, really. I think the issue was the phrasing of "home of the bad guys", which could have conjured up the wrong trains of thought to answer "Mordor" in a few seconds.

"Home"... home of the... where was that... wait; wait, hold on... the Black Land... OH WAIT-

Boopboopboop.
I dunno...it was the first thing that popped into my head before the question even finished! But I am an avid LOTR fan, of course...it just depresses me that none of them were huge fans...that woulda' been the first category i would have gone for, but everyone was avoiding it like the plague! :(
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Kids these days.... :(