Hobbits, Wizards, and Elves, oh my!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Hobbits, Wizards, and Elves, oh my!

Post by Trixie Belden »

Because I truly cannot believe that we don't have a LOTR thread on here. Sooo, discuss! The movies, the actors, the books, whatever! \:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I can't believe it either, there has to be one somewhere. ;)

Anyway, my opinion is it shouldn't take like 10 hours of film to throw a ring into a big hole.
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

The Top Crusader wrote:I can't believe it either, there has to be one somewhere. ;)

Anyway, my opinion is it shouldn't take like 10 hours of film to throw a ring into a big hole.
Or 1000 or so pages. :noway:

Well, here's news on the upcoming film: http://the-hobbit-movie.com/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

The Top Crusader wrote:I can't believe it either, there has to be one somewhere. ;)

Well, here's your version of the movie then...lol.

I ADORE the movies...Books too. Obviously, I must like something considering my name, eh? Favorite ever! 8-) And i'm pretty sure there was a thread at some point...probably a long, long time ago...
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

Trixie! I haven't seen you around for ever! :D

The movie(only seen one) are fine...I haven't read the books.

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I read the books when I was eleven. I really need to again... :- So many classics, so little time. :(

Buuuuut... The movies. :inlove: Aaaah, Legolas. :inlove:

*cough* And the rest of them, of course. Legolas is just the best part. The movies are some of my favorites, though... extended edition, that is. The regular ones are rubbish. :noway:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

If that's logic then every TNA episode should be simply Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair posing for like ten seconds. :P
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Termite wrote:I read the books when I was eleven. I really need to again... :- So many classics, so little time. :(

*cough* And the rest of them, of course. Legolas is just the best part. The movies are some of my favorites, though... extended edition, that is. The regular ones are rubbish. :noway:
Wow, Legsy is my least favorite character in the whole trilogy, sorry! :-

But I am in a state of fangirl-ness over Elijah Wood. I just can't resist those GINORMUS blue eyes! Who's excited to see him return in the Hobbit movie?
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Trixie Belden wrote:But I am in a state of fangirl-ness over Elijah Wood. I just can't resist those GINORMUS blue eyes! Who's excited to see him return in the Hobbit movie?
I don't know if you'll see him in it...I think he is primarily a narrator.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

The Top Crusader wrote:it shouldn't take like 10 hours of film to throw a ring into a big hole.
Nope. Isildur should have destroyed the ring while he had the chance, and then there would be no story. :yes:
And a ton of lives would have been saved.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Trixie Belden wrote:
Termite wrote:I read the books when I was eleven. I really need to again... :- So many classics, so little time. :(

Wow, Legsy is my least favorite character in the whole trilogy, sorry! :-
:shock:

HEATHEN!! :x

*cough* No, I'm not in love with 'Legsy'. :- Though I am happy to hear he'll have a cameo in The Hobbit. :inlove: Makes sense, no?

And Elijah Wood was Spyro's voice in the new trilogy. :( Major problem at first. I kept expecting Sam to scream 'Mr. Frodo- NOOOOO!" when I got hit. :-

Oh, and Top... I think the Extended Editions are longer than ten hours altogether. :-
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

bookworm wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:it shouldn't take like 10 hours of film to throw a ring into a big hole.
Nope. Isildur should have destroyed the ring while he had the chance, and then there would be no story. :yes:
And a ton of lives would have been saved.
That thought had come to me many times...however, the answer is "Isildur was of the race of men--too weak to resist the power of the Ring." HOWEVER, in this case, Elrond was there--and once he saw that Isildur would not throw it in, should have run up and pushed him over the edge along with the ring. Better to sacrifice one life than the thousands more that ultimately perished or were enslaved due to the ring not being destroyed..

However, I am glad there was still a story, cause LOTR rocks.

Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I just had to stop in and say "Hi" to SoccerLOTR. It's not often one sees a faithful, former AIOD adherent around these parts. \:D/

Edit: I should probably mention that this is Coralfish/osxshark lest you think I'm a raving lunatic or something. ;)
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

I love LOTR. it is my second favorite movie/ book franchise. I have read all the books 3 times ( the hobbit twice ) and watched the movies 4 times each. I really like to compare and contrast the books and movies. also I have The Book of Lost Tales parts 1 & 2 the forgotten road, Unfinished tales and one other one that has a really confusing name. I have also read the Silmarillion.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

Sherlock wrote:I just had to stop in and say "Hi" to SoccerLOTR. It's not often one sees a faithful, former AIOD adherent around these parts. \:D/

Edit: I should probably mention that this is Coralfish/osxshark lest you think I'm a raving lunatic or something. ;)
Lol, HI! Yes, I was...miss that board...came over here when it ended, then got busy and wasn't on much...just recently finally came back! And no, I don't think you're a raving lunatic! :lol:

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

takeitfromthetop wrote:I love LOTR. it is my second favorite movie/ book franchise. I have read all the books 3 times ( the hobbit twice ) and watched the movies 4 times each. I really like to compare and contrast the books and movies. also I have The Book of Lost Tales parts 1 & 2 the forgotten road, Unfinished tales and one other one that has a really confusing name. I have also read the Silmarillion.
Might I ask what your first favorite movie/book franchise is? Mine is Narnia, but LOTR is amazing too. They really got the casting down pat. Also, is the Silma boring? I've heard people who think it's amazing, and others who think it is drier than dust. Which camp do you fall into?
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

Trixie Belden wrote:
takeitfromthetop wrote:I love LOTR. it is my second favorite movie/ book franchise. I have read all the books 3 times ( the hobbit twice ) and watched the movies 4 times each. I really like to compare and contrast the books and movies. also I have The Book of Lost Tales parts 1 & 2 the forgotten road, Unfinished tales and one other one that has a really confusing name. I have also read the Silmarillion.
Might I ask what your first favorite movie/book franchise is? Mine is Narnia, but LOTR is amazing too. They really got the casting down pat. Also, is the Silma boring? I've heard people who think it's amazing, and others who think it is drier than dust. Which camp do you fall into?
Ok first my favorite franchise is Star Wars closely followed by LOTR. As for the Silma I think it's amazing. really gets into the deep history of the first ages.

-- Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:22 pm --
Trixie Belden wrote:
Ok first my favorite franchise is Star Wars closely followed by LOTR. As for the Silma I think it's amazing. really gets into the deep history of the first ages.
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

LOTR is first for me...then SW, when only looking at 3-6 (I exclude eps 1 & 2 due to their diminished acting and quality stories)...Indiana Jones...then maybe the new Batman movies?

No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The problem with that youtube video is the race of Giant Eagles are naturally suspicious and very intelligent. In addition there are flying creatures of doom that live in Mordor and the Eagles do not like to involve themselves in the affairs of men.

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Except, for the fact, that they greatly respect Gandalf for his true endeavors and are thus willing to help. :yes:
Love you always, SnC