Nancy Drew PC Games

It's Up To You As Nancy Drew

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Physical copies don't seem to be gone yet, so I'm going to go ahead and hold out for regular purchase I guess.
Rosie Willowwater
Not as new

Post by Rosie Willowwater »

I'm happy to see so many Nancy Drew fans here! I've loved the games ever since my first game (Treasure in the Royal Tower) and I am pretty excited to be playing MIS. The trailer is pretty disappointing in terms of character animation, but I hope that it gets better as they begin to release new games (if they do).
No one deserves to be forgotten
No one deserves to fade away
No one should come and go
And have no one know they were ever even there
No one deserves to disappear
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

So the game is supposed to come out tomorrow...! I hope I don't get my heart broken again. :(
Rosie Willowwater wrote:The trailer is pretty disappointing in terms of character animation, but I hope that it gets better as they begin to release new games (if they do).
This is my thought as well. I know that they used to reuse models frequently, so I guess when they switched engines, they had to start from scratch. If they scrape together enough capital from MID to keep the company going, hopefully the games will start looking better. (Nice to meet you, by the way! I'm always happy to meet another Nancy Drew fan! \:D/ )
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Do we know a time? It's still in preorder right now.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

I think it was supposed to be 11:00 PT, but apparently it's available on Steam NOW! Hurray! It's finally here! \:D/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It just changed from preorder to buy; I added it to my cart but the discount code isn't working so I haven't purchased yet. The code works if I try it on a different game, so it is active. It seems they just haven't okayed it for this game yet since it wasn't valid for use on preorders. Hope they fix it soon; I sent an email.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Hopefully it ends up working! I assume it's something like you mentioned, and they have to update MID from the pre-order status.

They said they're shipping out pre-orders in the order they were placed, and I think I ordered within the first couple of hours, so hopefully my game should get here within the next few days. It doesn't really matter that much since I don't have time to play the game for a few weeks, but I'm a little mystified as to why they didn't ship the games out so they would arrive on the release date.

Final thoughts before playing the game: I know the graphics won't be great, so I'll keep my expectations low there. My main hopes are a) the game mechanics work decently well, even if the graphics aren't great, and b) the story feels like a Nancy Drew mystery. If we get those things, I'll be happy to endure kind of crummy graphics.
Rosie Willowwater
Not as new

Post by Rosie Willowwater »

Petrichor wrote:This is my thought as well. I know that they used to reuse models frequently, so I guess when they switched engines, they had to start from scratch. If they scrape together enough capital from MID to keep the company going, hopefully the games will start looking better. (Nice to meet you, by the way! I'm always happy to meet another Nancy Drew fan! \:D/ )
Nice to meet you too! I've been around Nancy Drew fans since I was a mere baby, so even though I am really bad at mystery games I know a looooot about all 33 of the games :D

Will both of you possibly do a review of the game once you have finished it? I would be very interested to hear your opinions :)
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Rosie Willowwater wrote:Nice to meet you too! I've been around Nancy Drew fans since I was a mere baby, so even though I am really bad at mystery games I know a looooot about all 33 of the games :D

Will both of you possibly do a review of the game once you have finished it? I would be very interested to hear your opinions :)
Sure thing! It will be a few weeks until I have the chance to sit down and play the game, but I'll definitely post my thoughts here afterward! :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I forgot to post, but I placed my order! No idea when it will ship, but I'm in line now!

Thank you so much Petrichor, this is entirely because of you! Without your code I wouldn't be getting the game until who knows when, if ever. If it's really never coming to Amazon or Walmart or somewhere else I could cut down the shipping I would have been waiting for probably years until it showed up used somewhere, but that may never even happen since it's so limited.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:03 pm I forgot to post, but I placed my order! No idea when it will ship, but I'm in line now!

Thank you so much Petrichor, this is entirely because of you! Without your code I wouldn't be getting the game until who knows when, if ever. If it's really never coming to Amazon or Walmart or somewhere else I could cut down the shipping I would have been waiting for probably years until it showed up used somewhere, but that may never even happen since it's so limited.
Oh man, I never replied to this. :anxious: Happy to help! :D

It's hard to believe it's already been over a year since it was released! Did you ever get around to playing it, bookworm?
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Yes I did, I'll share my thoughts later but right now I want to make everyone aware of this:

If you still need a few games to complete your Nancy Drew collection, or you have them all but want to grab some extra digital copies, there are multiple codes currently active that will allow you to get some right now for free!

They are codes for the Big Fish game store and will work on any game they have if you don't need or want Nancy Drew, but that's a great use for them since we know they're good; I don't know anything about any of the other games they offer. I'm not familiar with this company so I probably wouldn't provide payment information (no reason to think they aren't reputable, I just don't know firsthand) but you don't have to with these free game codes, you can place the order directly to a brand new account with no credit card or anything else required.

Go to their Nancy Drew games page and select the game you want. On the game page use the green Buy Now button. (Some of them will have a trial button, make sure you use the buy button.)
On the left side of the next page select "I am a New Customer" and create an account, all it needs is an email address.
Once signed in, on the right side of the page uncheck the Big Fish Game Club offer so you don't need to provide a credit card.
In the promo code box enter one of the below codes and hit apply and the game will change to $0, place the order and that's all there is to it!

Code: Select all

FREEGAME440690
FREEGAME865035
FREEGAME449269
FREEGAME439176
FREEGAME865027
FREEGAME864089
These codes are all currently active so you can get six of the games completely free! I don't know how long they will be working for, a few say they're good all February but some might be shorter.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Thanks for sharing, bookworm! :D If you check out the Nancy Drew subreddit, people often share codes for free Big Fish games, so even if you miss out on these ones, there will be more!

I own hard copies of all the games already (except for the original edition of Secrets Can Kill; not sure when I'm ever going to get that), but I went ahead and got the two dossiers. Even though they're just point-and-click games, I enjoyed them a lot! I would recommend them if you're looking for a way to use your free game codes. I enjoyed "Resorting to Danger" a little more than "Lights, Camera, Curses," but they were both fun!
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Agreed, if you don't have the Dossiers yet this is a great opportunity to pick them up because I don't know if I would recommend buying them, but they're definitely worth checking out for free to see if they're your kind of thing. I thought they were fine personally, for what they were, but you have to be aware they're nothing like the main games and that doesn't work for everyone. (I actually got my copies from the friend who originally introduced me to these games, she got the first Dossier when it came out and absolutely hated it, really wasn't into the different type of game, and she gave it to me to play after her like she usually did with the others and said 'you can just keep this one, I'll never play it again.')
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

Thanks bookworm! One of my friends plays these games more than I have and I was able to get her three of them. \:D/
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

My sister had nearly all of these Nancy Drew games growing up. I no longer live in the same State as my sister, so I've been buying the digital copies and replaying each one in order since about July of this year. I'm up to the Curse of Blackmoor Manor right now; I'm nearly finished with it.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

~JCGJ~ wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:27 pm My sister had nearly all of these Nancy Drew games growing up. I no longer live in the same State as my sister, so I've been buying the digital copies and replaying each one in order since about July of this year. I'm up to the Curse of Blackmoor Manor right now; I'm nearly finished with it.
Oh, how fun! Is this your first time playing the games, or did you used to play them with your sister?

I wish I could play them again for the first time. It was always such an exciting time when one came in from the library or was delivered from Amazon. I fear I shall never get to experience that joy again. :( However, there is some buzz around Her Interactive recently trademarking The Mystery of the Seven Keys. I guess we'll see if anything comes of it!
Attachments
n9t6zi318dx71.png
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Petrichor wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm
~JCGJ~ wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:27 pm My sister had nearly all of these Nancy Drew games growing up. I no longer live in the same State as my sister, so I've been buying the digital copies and replaying each one in order since about July of this year. I'm up to the Curse of Blackmoor Manor right now; I'm nearly finished with it.
Oh, how fun! Is this your first time playing the games, or did you used to play them with your sister?

I wish I could play them again for the first time. It was always such an exciting time when one came in from the library or was delivered from Amazon. I fear I shall never get to experience that joy again. :( However, there is some buzz around Her Interactive recently trademarking The Mystery of the Seven Keys. I guess we'll see if anything comes of it!
I played nearly all of them at least once, however I only remember a few of them all the way through (mostly the ones that I played several times because I loved them so much).

I'd love if a new one came out, though there are a couple of the newest ones I haven't played yet.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

They posted a video with this image to their social media today. I hate April Fools'. :(
Nancy Drew 4.1.23.jpeg
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

April is really her birthday though, do we know it's definitely not real?
They sent that image in an email newsletter too, which also had a trivia game that contains a secret message spelling out "Thirty Four" (the number the next game would be)