Do avatars affect the way you read posts?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Do avatars affect the way that you read people's posts?

yes
50%
no
44%
it depends on if there's an avatar or not (duh)
6%

Total votes: 18

Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Well? do they? :)

I've found that avatars significantly affect the way that I read posts. If someone has an avatar of a person who looks grumpy...I automatically read their post as sounding grumpy. If someone has a avatar of a kitten... automatically hear their post in my head in the voice of a kitten. . . (well, maybe not that drastic) :D.

So how 'bout you?
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

I guess maybe when I first joined it did play a big role in how I thought of people. Now that I've been here a while though, and know how most of the people on here usually are, it doesn't really make a difference what their avatar is. But yeah, when I first joined I would have definitely agreed with you. :yes:
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

It does for me, most of the time. I mean, what their avatar's and signature's are show you a little bit of their personality. Which helps figure out how they may or may not say things. But sometimes what their signature's and avatar's are doesn't really mean anything to me. Mostly, what helps me figure their personality is their gender and name... avatar and signature come after that. ;)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1
It’s my birthday

Post by Marvin D. »

I've only been here for a month, but I really didn't think much about it. However, when I saw a really cool one, I'd be attracted to read it.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Angel
Laughing One
Laughing One

Post by Angel »

I definitely do that. But sometimes (like during this Christmas season) avatars don't help me since they all have a similar theme. ;)
I've met quite a few members of this board, and knowing what they actually look and sound like helps me to understand their posts more...but in a way it has brought me to think that avatars can be deceptive. (I'm not saying that people would wear an avatar that doesn't fit their personality). They can be deceptive because some people have action oriented avatars and signatures (like comics, or action movies, etc.), but they're really quiet in real life.
Also, depending on the person, I'll sometimes read their posts with the same voice in my head all the time, no matter what they use (for instance, no matter what Top has as his avatar I still have a crazy, almost childlike voice almost shouting out the words of his posts).

I like this thread, it's brought up a topic I have thought of a lot while I'm browsing the ToO.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

^ I agree with that. :yes:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I don't pay attention to the avatars. I do look at them, but after I have read the post.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

No, although they do help me to identify who's talking. ;)
...I hate marquees.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I concur with J-man. The avatars assist my identification of the user. The connotation of my attitude toward them then arises, not any sort of "tone of voice."
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

I agree, it helps me identify the user and get confused for a few days whenever a set change occurs. Sometimes with new/previously unknown users they give me a (usually incorrect) impression of the user.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Sort of. I'm a member of another forum and whenever someone changes their avatar, it completely throws me off for a few days. I look at the avatar and think "Oh cool, a new member!" until I read the name of the person posting. I really only do that though when the avatar is a face, not an object. (Like mine).
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

Sometimes avatars affect me too. :)

~Sapphire~
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Mostly I think of people as their avatar image rather than as, you know, anything they could possibly plausibly look like. Even in some cases after I have met them; I just go back to avatar-mental-image after a while.

As a result, when people change their avatars / have them changed it's mildly confusing, but I can always check the name. If avatar and name are changed at the same time, I have to fall back on signature identification, which is considerably more confusing. Not sure what I'd do if all three changed at once...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

They don't affect me so I read the posts the same way I see the avatars. I do sometimes have difficulty imagining some people looking like real people instead of what they have as their avatar though...
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I actually didn't think about it until this thread came up, but I do remember it took forever for me to find my avatar and make a decision on one--I went through about five before I decided on one.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I am always changing my avatar and signature.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I haven't changed mine since...about a month ago.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog