What songs make us think of Odyssey?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

What songs make us think of Odyssey?

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Today, I was in my room, making a random sketch of a fox while I listened to a Superchic[k] CD (Beauty From Pain 1.1). It got to the last song, Beauty From Pain, and I'd just finished listening to "Life in the Third Person, Parts 1 and 2," so when Beauty From Pain began to play, I instantly thought of Mandy (and, as a result, did a corresponding artwork).

So what songs make you guys think of Odyssey?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Elementus Green
Lurker

Post by Elementus Green »

hmm... I think that The Odyssey Theme song (any version) makes me think of Odyssey. :P I set it as my cell phone ring tone for a while, but I never wanted to answer my phone, so I had to switch it back. :(
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I can't think of any songs off the top of my head, but...
TigerintheShadows wrote:Today, I was in my room, making a random sketch of a fox while I listened to a Superchic[k] CD (Beauty From Pain 1.1). It got to the last song, Beauty From Pain, and I'd just finished listening to "Life in the Third Person, Parts 1 and 2," so when Beauty From Pain began to play, I instantly thought of Mandy (and, as a result, did a corresponding artwork).
...this made me realize that you could train yourself to think of Adventures in Odyssey after any song! You know how you if you listen to songs in a certain order, after awhile you know what song comes next, and then, if you listen to that song in a different context, you expect the "next" song to play? Well, you could make a playlist where an Odyssey episode always came after a certain song (varied episodes... or just the Odyssey theme song), and, eventually, you'd start expecting to hear Odyssey after that song, and you would always think about Odyssey even when the song was heard out of context! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That is a totally fun idea, Lizzie! :D

Michael W. Smith's "I Believe in You Now" reminds me of Connie and Mitch. :inlove: I was listening to the song a few years ago and connected it to Connie and Mitch's "trust issues," as Nick puts it ;) and now I think of them whenever I hear that song. I do often connect songs to fictional characters, but I can't think of any more Odyssey-related ones offhand. :-k Well, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" always makes me think of Whit (and Hal Smith), since he sings it in a Christmas episode - "Caroling, Caroling," I think. I usually think of it in a "why is this store playing such a lousy version of this great song? Hal Smith sings it so wonderfully!" kind of way.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe more songs will remind me of Odyssey when I hear them. :D
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

There are several love songs that remind me of Connie and Mitch and/or Eugene and Katrina. It seems like lately there have been several songs that reminded me of Odyssey, but I can't remember what they are right now.

By the way, does anyone know which episode it is where Whit sings White Christmas? Cuz I've never heard that episode, so I got the Christmas Classics set from the library thinking that it was Caroling, Caroling (not because of what Catspaw said though), and was disappointed that it wasn't that one.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

It actually is "Caroling, Caroling," though in a different version than the one that's readily available. The full-length, hard-to-find cassette version includes Hal Smith's "White Christmas," and also a fun scene with Eugene and Bernard. You can find it here on Amazon, and if you're curious as to the differences between the two versions, click here for some of my ramblings on the subject after I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy of this episode in its unabridged form.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have the really old tape from back whenever it first came out, since as a kid any FOTF-related product that I wanted was mine. ;) I didn't realize that for the other version they took out Hal Smith's song. That's too bad, because it really is great. I hope you get to hear it, EMBEE!
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

LizzieG wrote:It actually is "Caroling, Caroling," though in a different version than the one that's readily available. The full-length, hard-to-find cassette version includes Hal Smith's "White Christmas," and also a fun scene with Eugene and Bernard. You can find it here on Amazon, and if you're curious as to the differences between the two versions, click here for some of my ramblings on the subject after I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy of this episode in its unabridged form.
Oh...ok. Thanks Lizzie!
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
TigerintheShadows

I think "Average Girl" by BarlowGirl reminds me a lot of Connie, who seems to have learned her lesson about relationships, and "Mirror, Mirror" by BarlowGirl reminds me a little of Mandy, Liz, and Gwen Kablonski (mostly Gwen) from "Lost By A Nose."
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Well, I can't listen to Camptown Races without thinking of everyone's favorite mailman, but that's about it! :D
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

Last Sunday at my grandparent's church my grandma was playing the song that goes "His Name is called Emmanuel" during a prayer, and it made me think of Caroling, Caroling because they sing that song in that episode.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

LizzieG wrote:It actually is "Caroling, Caroling," though in a different version than the one that's readily available. The full-length, hard-to-find cassette version includes Hal Smith's "White Christmas," and also a fun scene with Eugene and Bernard. You can find it here on Amazon, and if you're curious as to the differences between the two versions, click here for some of my ramblings on the subject after I was fortunate enough to acquire a copy of this episode in its unabridged form.
I was browsing on christianbook.com and searched for Paul McCusker and a single CD with "Dobson Comes to Town" and "Caroling, Caroling" came up. Click here to view it. Does anybody know for sure if this is the edited version or the full version of "Caroling, Caroling"? I do have an old tape of the full version, but obviously tapes don't last forever :( so I would love to get a CD copy if it was ever available. It's just more than I want to pay to be disappointed when it arrives. ;) So if anybody has any info, I would appreciate it!
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

O-D-Y-Double S-E-Y lol!
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Perfect fourths and major sixths make me think of Odyssey.... :anxious:

Erenoth2002
Lurker

Post by Erenoth2002 »

I noticed they used a Variant of Legend of Zelda in one of their episodes
TigerintheShadows

Who did? What are you talking about? I'm confused...
AIO tumblr sideblog
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

Yesterday I was playing with my 2 year old brother, and we were singing the Muffin Man song, and it made me think of that famous Arthur Dent line.

Also, last week I was at honor band, and one of the songs that we played had Camptown Races in it. In my head I was singing "Electric Palace doo-da song..." What's really cool is that at lunch the next day, I was talking with some friends who were also in the band and happened to mention that that song reminded me of that, one of them said that she had heard that episode with the Electric Palace song, and then she later said that she has several Odyssey episodes on her mp3 player! That made me happy.
Ingress Neverwhere
Resident Perditorian

Post by Ingress Neverwhere »

I'm Going to Go Back There from The Muppet Movie always reminds me of Eugene's return to Odyssey, and how he must have felt when he had amnesia.

-Kim
The Bible that is falling apart belongs to the person who isn't.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me,
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty!
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Anything remotely related to Camptown Races is AIO fodder. Because the only song Wooten can play on EVERY INSTRUMENT has got to be notable.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
EMBEE
I've been working out

Post by EMBEE »

There's a Frank Sinatra song called "The Best is Yet to Come."