Eugene and Trent--still the local nerds?

What is happening to the smart people?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Eugene and Trent--still the local nerds?

Post by TigerintheShadows »

-assumes old lady British accent-

Back in the days of Yore (something like 1989), the Odyssey geniuses were brilliant. They were clearly defined as intelligent without being used for a laugh and, for example, Eugene used big words every two seconds.

-reverts back to Southern drawl-

And yet look what's happened.

Katrina: Used to be the perfect match for Eugene. She used the big words and, like Eugene, was one of the smart people who isn't afraid to prove it. Now, it seems like she is afraid to use it--unless she's explaining what Eugene means in only monosyllabic words. And since when was Katrina a supporting character? I don't like her absence. I really don't.

Eugene: Yes, even Eugene. I've listened to the Odyssey of old episodes, and they're awesome. Especially with the portrayal of Eugene. He used to run the dictionary through his mind and speak incomprehensibly unless you were an English major! Now he doesn't sound nearly as geeky--or, as KODY 105 so rightly put it,

[quote=KODY 105]he has been speaking in the colloquial standards of grammar.[/quote]

And it's also kind of creepy how much more stress has been put on the "friend" relationship of Eugene/Connie and how much less has been put on the "married" Eugene/Katrina.

Trent: Since when would Trent DeWhite sink into a level of imagination enough to think he would become UBER-FAME from winning an ice cream shop science fair? Trent sounded to me like the more level-headed of the DeWhite brothers. His imaginary journeys now seem more like Jared's would without the "EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET ME!" mentality. The only thing I've heard from him in the last four seasons that sounded like nerdy!Trent again was in the episode "A Class Reenactment" by being alongside Mandy as "Most Studious" and later stating that a quadruple digit IQ didn't seem possible. I need the cello-playing kid who referred to unimportant things as "trivial matters" back.

Conclusion: Eugene and Katrina had brain cells sucked out by whatever machine caused Eugene to lose his memory during Novacom. The reason Trent didn't show up at all during Album 46 was because he was secretly captured by Jared, who, under the impression that Trent was a spy and needed information out of his head and took out a brain cell or two (that, or those forty IQ points he felt leaving his head in "Potential Possibilities" are still gone).

These are the only "geniuses" I could think of. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated (I love a good debate).
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Good except I must disagree and laugh at your conclusion.

KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

FIrst, I would like to post, "Huzzah and Wooton! Someone actually quoted me!" *ahem*

Well, I think Trent is being written out of the show, so there is no need in my opinion to discuss Trent DeWhite (the progeny he is).

I think the writers have worn out their extended vocabularies for Eugene's character. It does take a real human to write the material. When I first joined here, I spent a large amount of cerebral energy trying to write the way Eugene would speak. Obviously my style of speaking has reverted to however I naturally spe- type.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Back in the days of Yore (something like 1989), the Odyssey geniuses were brilliant. They were clearly defined as intelligent without being used for a laugh and, for example, Eugene used big words every two seconds.
I actually think that Eugene, while being portrayed as highly intelligent, was intended as a comical character--as someone for the listeners to laugh at. Then he evolved into more of a serious character, while still being abnormally smart. A lot of your other observations are good, but I don't agree that Odyssey geniuses of the olden days were not intended as "comic relief."
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

People get less awkward as they get older. Eugene and Katrina are different now that they are out of the college environment--brains won't get you everywhere in life in the rest of the world.

Trent also calmed down a lot as he got older, I think; he went through an awkward puberty stage where his imagination went hyperactive and then he turned normal when it was over. I miss his original quirkiness, but at the same time I'm glad he's not a permenent nutcase like Jared. :-
TigerintheShadows

Dave wrote:
TigerintheShadows wrote:Back in the days of Yore (something like 1989), the Odyssey geniuses were brilliant. They were clearly defined as intelligent without being used for a laugh and, for example, Eugene used big words every two seconds.
I actually think that Eugene, while being portrayed as highly intelligent, was intended as a comical character--as someone for the listeners to laugh at. Then he evolved into more of a serious character, while still being abnormally smart. A lot of your other observations are good, but I don't agree that Odyssey geniuses of the olden days were not intended as "comic relief."
What I meant by that was that their intellect was not always used for comic relief--it was used to annoy Connie and get snarky remarks out of Bernard, but that was pretty much it. It was the personalities that made them funny. It was the fact that they were completely and overtly brainy. Now they seem more like that jock/smart person who gets straight A's and should be proving that he isn't cheating to get them but hides the fact that he's smart. Without the jock part. I don't think Eugene's going to join the local football team anytime soon. :D
Amethystic wrote:I'm glad he's not a permenent nutcase like Jared. :-

So are we all. :lol:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

In general, smart people are less nerdy. When I was a kid, "geek" was a dirty word. Now it's cool to be a geek. You can make a lot of money on the "Geek Squad". The kids used to make fun of the kid who had a computer. Now they make fun of the kid who doesn't have one.

As culture changes, so do the characters on Odyssey. Eugene's genius is no longer considered intimidating, but rather welcoming. Likewise, Eugene's character has developed to the point where he speaks in the common language instead of using excess vocabulary to cover his awkwardness.

Just my theory.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
TigerintheShadows

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:In general, smart people are less nerdy. When I was a kid, "geek" was a dirty word. Now it's cool to be a geek. You can make a lot of money on the "Geek Squad". The kids used to make fun of the kid who had a computer. Now they make fun of the kid who doesn't have one.
I think that's because the definitions of "nerd" and "geek" are not the same (probably should have used the word "geeks in the title). "Nerd," to paraphrase the Oxford College dictionary, is a "foolish or contemptible person with little or no social skills and is boringly studious." "Geek" is someone who is good at something--"art geek," for example, is a talented artist (like DaVinci).
AIO tumblr sideblog
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

I resent that definition of nerd, being a self-identified nerd myself. :noway:
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

THIS is a nerd...
Attachments
nerd-venn-diagram-9420-1252236207-2.jpg
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

:hilarious:

Pure genius!
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Isn't it funny! :) I didn't make it though... I just found it online.

I'd have to say I'm ....hmmm...looking at the graph... maybe ....just intelligence...not geek or anything like that.

haha jk.
Last edited by Bob Booth on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

That's more like it! \:D/
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I'd have to say, by looking at that chart, that I'm probably a geek. Oh well.