Hearts!

The card game

This forum is home to games of all various shapes and sizes. Members are welcome to start and participate in contests on this board.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Hearts!

Post by Fang-wa »

Okays, I'm starting a game of Hearts. I need four people and then I'll deal out a deck of real cards and PM you what you got. Then you will post on this topic which card you play and at the end of a trick I'll post the results. For those not familiar with the rules of Hearts:

http://www.pagat.com/reverse/hearts.html wrote:Players and Cards
Hearts is most commonly played by 4 people. There are no formal partnerships, though there are times when players will find it in their interest to help each other.

A standard 52 card deck is used, with the cards in each suit ranking as usual from ace (high) down to two (low). There is no trump suit.

Each heart is worth one penalty point and the queen of spades is worth 13 penalty points. The other cards have no value.

Object of Game
The object is to avoid scoring points. The game is ended by someone reaching or going over 100 points, and the winner is the player with the lowest score at this point.

Deal and Passing
Deal and play are clockwise. All the cards are dealt out one at a time, so that everyone has 13.

On the first hand, after the deal, each player passes any three cards face-down to the player to their left. When passing cards, you must first select the cards to be passed and place them face-down, ready to be picked up by the receiving player; only then may you pick up the cards passed to you, look at them and add them to your hand.

On the second hand each player passes three cards to the player to their right, in the same way. On the third hand each player passes three cards to the player sitting opposite. On the fourth hand no cards are passed at all. The cycle then repeats until the end of the game.

The Play of the Hand
The person who holds the 2 of clubs must lead it to the first trick. The other players, in clockwise order, must play a card of the suit which was led if possible. If they do not have a card of that suit, they may play any card. The person who played the highest card of the suit led wins the trick and leads to the next trick.

It is illegal to lead a heart until after a heart has been played to a previous trick, unless your hand contains nothing but hearts. Discarding a heart, thus allowing hearts to be led in future, is called breaking hearts. In general, discarding a penalty card on a trick is called painting the trick.

A player whose hand consists entirely of hearts may lead any heart, thereby breaking hearts, even if hearts have not previously been broken.

Players are permitted to lead spades to any trick after the first. In fact it is a normal tactic to lead lower spades to try to drive out the queen. This is sometimes known as smoking out the queen.

Scoring
Normally, each player scores penalty points for cards in the tricks which they won. Each heart scores one point, and the queen of spades scores 13 points. However, if you manage to win all the scoring cards (which is known as a slam or shooting the moon), your score is reduced by 26 points, or you may choose instead to have all other players' scores increased by 26 points.

The game continues until one player has reached or exceeded 100 points at the conclusion of a hand. The person with the lowest score is then the winner.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. :)

Next game:
Laura Ingalls
LizzieG
StrongNChrist
Pseudonym
Last edited by Fang-wa on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Sign me up! :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sign me up, too! \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
aiofan_19
Found

Post by aiofan_19 »

Me too!
Wild Horses Can't Keep Me Away from the Town of Odyssey!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Haha, awesome! I love hearts! Count me in! \:D/

...or perhaps :inlove: .
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Awww, I love hearts, and 4 players already signed up. :( Put me on the list for the second game! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Laura Ingalls wrote:Awww, I love hearts, and 4 players already signed up. :( Put me on the list for the second game! \:D/
Five player variant?
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Sign me up for the second game too! \:D/

I love playing Hearts on my computer... though I never knew some of the finer points of the rules until just now. :anxious:
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:Awww, I love hearts, and 4 players already signed up. :( Put me on the list for the second game! \:D/
Five player variant?
I'm not sure how that works, but I know that in Spades I like the strategy for four players. :shrugs:

Okays, I'm sending people their cards. (Via PM) They will sit in the order they signed up, that is:

.....................aiofan_19
Trent DeWhite..............King Butter Turtle
....................Shawndlay

Since I'm just getting the hang of card games on a forum, I'm gonna skip the passing of cards this game to lessen confusing on your side and mine. ;) The person with the Two of Clubs will please lead the round by posting (on this topic) that this is the card that they play. The person to their left will then play a card of the same suit that they have (by posting here), and so on and so on.

Let's do it! *puts on dealer hat*
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

We can't pass cards? :insane:

I'm not going to like this round. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Trent DeWhite wrote:We can't pass cards? :insane:

I'm not going to like this round. :(
Sorry, can you think of a good way to do it? :( I'm not against passing, but I'm not sure how to do it. :anxious:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Everyone takes three of their cards and "passes" it to the player on their left - simply PM the name of the cards you want to pass.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

...am I the only one guilty of playing Microsoft Hearts with "Catspaw," "Elf," and "Sonuna?"
Totally off-topic, but this topic reminds me. <<

edit: for the lost - Microsoft Hearts has an option where you can customize the players' names. o_O
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

*plays the 2 of clubs*
Sarai Binghamton wrote:...am I the only one guilty of playing Microsoft Hearts with "Catspaw," "Elf," and "Sonuna?"
:rofl:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

*plays the Ace of clubs*
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

To interupt :- Throw me in for the next game please.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Trent DeWhite wrote:Everyone takes three of their cards and "passes" it to the player on their left - simply PM the name of the cards you want to pass.
The problem is, you can't look at the cards you're passed untill you've passed your cards. I guess we could go on the honors system, though.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:Everyone takes three of their cards and "passes" it to the player on their left - simply PM the name of the cards you want to pass.
The problem is, you can't look at the cards you're passed untill you've passed your cards. I guess we could go on the honors system, though.
Yeah that could work. :-k (aiofan_19's turn)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Sarai Binghamton wrote:...am I the only one guilty of playing Microsoft Hearts with "Catspaw," "Elf," and "Sonuna?"
:hilarious:

I play Hearts with "Catspaw," "Trent DeWhite," and "Taq." :D (and I, of course, pwn them all! \:D/)

EDIT: Yay, there is going to be a next game, and I'm in it!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Perhaps aiofan_19's cards could be handed to someone else? :-k