Runescape

Discussion

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Runescape

Post by Fang-wa »

Hey, discuss Runescape here. If you have an account(s) post your usernames, and if you want, what days/time of day you get on. If you don't like Runescape, explain why. If you don't know what it is, ask what. If you have no interest in this whatsoever...oh well post anyways! :badgrin:
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

It sounds familiar, but what is it?
I do what I do.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

GlennAdams wrote:It sounds familiar, but what is it?
Runescape is a Massively Multiplayer RPG in which you gain skills in fighting as well as non-violent skills such as fishing, cooking, mining, smithing, etc. As all MMORPGs are, it has many players with which to trade, fight with/against, compete with, make friends with, etc etc.

I can go into more detail if you want, but that's the short and simple version. ;)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I find it surprising if you haven't heard it... it's like, the biggest thing out there.
I had an account, but then my Dad stopped me from playing it because I became too obsessed. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Jellyfish Blackgaard wrote:I find it surprising if you haven't heard it... it's like, the biggest thing out there.
I had an account, but then my Dad stopped me from playing it because I became too obsessed. :(
That is probably why my dad won't let me play.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

KODY 105 wrote:
Jellyfish Blackgaard wrote:I find it surprising if you haven't heard it... it's like, the biggest thing out there.
That is probably why my dad won't let me play.
Owch. Well, it is fun, I won't deny that, but after you play for a few months you realize that all your work is to get your skills up so you can get more skills up to make money to buy enough to get other skills up etc etc etc. and it's just an endless circle. It's fun, but there's no hesitation that the ToO is much more productive and fun in many ways. :)
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I have an account, but I rarely log on anymore. Now it's like, I'll log on randomly and then I play it once every day for about a week or a month. Then I stop playing for months until I randomly stop by again. My name is sir_rob_o I'll post here when I log on sometime. ;]

-Robo
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Robo wrote:I have an account, but I rarely log on anymore. Now it's like, I'll log on randomly and then I play it once every day for about a week or a month. Then I stop playing for months until I randomly stop by again. My name is sir_rob_o I'll post here when I log on sometime. ;]

-Robo
lol yea that's pretty much me. :D I'm Pfalcon93. What combat lvl are you? And what are you're three best lvls? :)
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I'm in the 60s. And two of my best non-fighting lvls are mining and smithing. I'll add you next time I log on. :D

-Robo
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Robo wrote:I'm in the 60s. And two of my best non-fighting lvls are mining and smithing. I'll add you next time I log on. :D

-Robo
Nice, I'm only lvl 45, and my highest (mining and fishing) are below fifty.. :anxious:
Sweet I'll add you too. \:D/
Lord_Kappa
A great mapmaker

Post by Lord_Kappa »

My brothers are bigger players than I ever was, though I did have an account. Lord_Kappa (what a shock!), and now I've lost my password, so I can't get on anymore.
My highest level was in craft, I reached the level necessary to enter the guild, but I don't remember what that was. My charachter was basically Gandalf the Grey, sporting a large, blue wizards hat and carrying a staff. I wasn't much of a fighter and the last thing I did before I quit playing was get slain by a dragon. :P

Fun memories, but the amount of time and energies put into the game were not worth them. It's wasteful and I was convicted of my poor stewardship as far as time is concerned.
“Among the attributes of God, although they are all equal, mercy shines with even more brilliancy than justice.” —Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

By the way, Margaret Sanger, founder of Planned Parenthood, was a racist.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Lord_Kappa wrote:My brothers are bigger players than I ever was, though I did have an account. Lord_Kappa (what a shock!), and now I've lost my password, so I can't get on anymore.
My highest level was in craft, I reached the level necessary to enter the guild, but I don't remember what that was. My charachter was basically Gandalf the Grey, sporting a large, blue wizards hat and carrying a staff. I wasn't much of a fighter and the last thing I did before I quit playing was get slain by a dragon. :P

Fun memories, but the amount of time and energies put into the game were not worth them. It's wasteful and I was convicted of my poor stewardship as far as time is concerned.
Did you set recovery questions to get it back? I believe that would be level 40 crafting. Nice I'm only like 34 or something. :)
True, although it is an open mission field on there. Not to say it justifies the time spent, but nevertheless..
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Runescape, the poor man's WoW! \:D/

Wait, Guild Wars is the poor man's WoW, and Runescape is the poor man's Guild Wars. :-k

Runescape, the really poor man's WoW! \:D/

Anyway, MMORPG's aren't my favourite. *rant incoming*

So basically, people play to do a large list of chores over and over and over...

The paying part isn't really there in Runescape, but the principle is still applicable. If it's anything like World of Warcraft, you run around killing panthers to get their paws to give to some guy to make something to give to some other guy to get a little bit of experience. Then you do it again, except with buzzard hearts or lizard tongues or whatever. And of course, your character only runs at the speed of a turtle, so it takes an hour just to go from point A to point B.

This may be forgivable if the combat were engaging, but it consists of clicking on an enemy and pressing: 3,1,3,1,3,1... for most of the time. And then there are the corpse runs. Don't get me started on the corpse runs.

*starts on the corpse runs*

So you're fighting some troll in a cave that's two levels higher than you are, and you die. Now you have to run ALL the way back to your corpse, with nothing but a little arrow pointing you in the right direction. And the whole time the screen is an annoying black and white colour and there's no sound except for some occasional strange noises. And then you get lost for a few days...

The game pretty much runs itself, too, but it's an annoying mix between "YOU MUST SIT THERE AND MAKE SURE YOUR GUY DOESN'T RUN INTO A TREE HAHAHAHAHA" and "your guy is on autorun running for half an hour and you haven't even done anything." So you really can't leave the keyboard unless you're in a safe zone, as you constantly have to watch your traveling character to be sure he doesn't attract high-level monsters or run into a fence.

That's yet ANOTHER problem; while in single-player games when you want to go get a snack or whatever you can just pause the game, but in MMO's, you have to find a spot without respawning monsters just to get away from the keyboard. And it's virtually impossible to go AFK during an instance.

And instances take ALL DAY. I'm not kidding. For a medium-level dungeon, it took one group I was in about five-six hours, and we didn't even get to the end.

There are a few redeeming qualities, of course, such as the satisfying "ding" that comes from spending precious hours advancing a virtual character. That's pretty much the only reason people play. If the game were just combat-based, with the current combat system of pressing numbers, I doubt over 11.5 million people would play it. It's all for the ding. And level 80. I never got to level 80. I'm not THAT stupid. ;)

Edit: This was long. :o You should level up just by reading it. \:D/
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I used to play along time ago, i still try and come back to do the holiday events though, the last thing I did before I quit was buy a santa hat, then it dropped in price :(

here is a link for what my high scores are
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

You guys all need to listen to Castles & Cauldrons. :x
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Pseudonym: Yea, but Runescape is free and doesnt cost per month, so..

Reddo: Did you get the santa suit this last Christmas? (Santa hat?! Niiiice \:D/ )

KBT: What is C&C? (Yea I know, I should know.. :anxious: )
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

JesusFreak42 wrote:KBT: What is C&C? (Yea I know, I should know.. :anxious: )
http://www.whitsend.org/vault/A000000157.cfm
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

To quote the discussion questions at the end of that article, "Are all role-playing games bad?"

Discuss. :x
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

King BT: Oooohh ok lol..not up on all the albums.. :-

Pseudonym: Most definitely not. That's like asking if all music is bad. Some is, some isn't, but it's a general category that cant be rated as a whole.
tiggerish100
Not as new

Post by tiggerish100 »

Yeah I play runescape often... I am currently doing a few quests and getting my lvl up at a rate....