Sports: The topic that will probably turn into a debate

Which sport is your favorite? Which is better?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Which sport is better?

Baseball
26%
Soccer
16%
Football (American)
26%
Basketball
16%
Hockey
16%

Total votes: 19

Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Sports: The topic that will probably turn into a debate

Post by Shad Lexer »

Both to play and to watch.. I have played pretty much all of them, and baseball is hands-down my favorite. I also think it takes more skill than any other sport. Notice how I said skill, not strength. You have to be in better physical shape to play other sports, but I think baseball requires more skill.

I'm currently playing soccer for my school, and I've noticed one funny thing: All the kids on the baseball team can/have play soccer. When I ask kids on the soccer team to play baseball, many of them say they simply can't. They just can't hit the ball, or they just can't catch. I find it interesting that there isn't a single kid on the baseball team who doesn't play soccer. Anyways, enough ranting. Vote away!
JD
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Post by JD »

I like to play basket-ball, but I like to watch football (High School and NFL.)
Save Eugene in the character competition!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I voted for football, but that list is very inadequite. There's no choice of volleyball or juggling (which takes more skill then baseball) or underwater hockey or extreme ironing. You're missing a lot of really fun sports.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
JD
Cheese Wiz Rules
Cheese Wiz Rules
Location: That white van right outside your house. Watching your every move. There's a camera behind you

Post by JD »

King Butter Turtle wrote:You're missing a lot of really fun sports.
Well if we are alking about sports not so popular, I play Ping-Pong I have won in 2 torments.
Save Eugene in the character competition!
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

Those are all games, and that's a different topic. ;)

These are team sports..
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

How about tennis? \:D/ That's my favorite to play, although when I was younger and on the local sports teams I liked basketball.

To watch: hockey, football, and baseball. I detest watching pro basketball. Soccer is okay to play, but boring to watch. :)

Our area has a summer baseball league, and I really enjoy watching their games. It's nice to watch non-pro players. It's a great league for college players - more than 1,000 former members have been drafted to MLB. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

NASCAR gets my vote. :D
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
PJ
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: wandering in the desert, searching for my promised land

Post by PJ »

I love Bible Quizzing! Unfortunately, I am too old now. :( I also love to play Deck Tennis! It's just for recreation though.

I like to watch Bible Quizzing, the Scripps National Spelling Bee and Slamball.

- proud to be a nerd - \:D/
Love is stronger than death.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

Curling!

But in all honesty I prefer American soccer (European football). A few misanthropic acquaintances ruined the American version of football for me, so I've taken the moral (and athletic) high ground on this one. ;)
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Swimming is a favorite of mine. Go Phelps! \:D/

*cough* Just throwing this out, why is baseball considered a sport? From what I can see, you don't get much exercise out of it. I mean, dance isn't a sport, but you certainly get more energy from a pumped up dance routine than a game of baseball.. Right? :anxious:

No offense, I'm just curious... as always. xD
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

Fei wrote:Swimming is a favorite of mine. Go Phelps! \:D/

*cough* Just throwing this out, why is baseball considered a sport? From what I can see, you don't get much exercise out of it. I mean, dance isn't a sport, but you certainly get more energy from a pumped up dance routine than a game of baseball.. Right? :anxious:

Stealing bases, normal base running, running to catch the ball, throwing... I mean, try throwing a ball 80 miles an hour and then saying it doesn't take much energy. ;) Or even hitting too... It takes more energy than it looks like. But a sport isn't just something that tires you out, it has a lot to do with competition and skill too.

Laurie: NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

No offence. ;)
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

I second the swimming, Fei! \:D/

Haha, Ziff. :P
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I mostly enjoy watching football (college and pro), but I like playing volleyball better.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Ziff wrote:
Fei wrote:Swimming is a favorite of mine. Go Phelps! \:D/

Stealing bases, normal base running, running to catch the ball, throwing... I mean, try throwing a ball 80 miles an hour and then saying it doesn't take much energy. ;) Or even hitting too... It takes more energy than it looks like. But a sport isn't just something that tires you out, it has a lot to do with competition and skill too.

Laurie: NASCAR = Non Athletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks.

No offence. ;)
Guess so. xD Just doesn't seem like a great cardiovascular activity. ;)
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Georgia football! Go dawgs!
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

I just played a soccer game this afternoon. I found myself asking a teammate at some point, "dude, when's the seventh inning stretch?" Haha. \:D/
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Jugglah wrote:Georgia football! Go dawgs!
Yayness! Someone else who's a fan of them on here! \:D/

Hmmm..my favorite sport would be swimming. Although I've never been on a swim team or anything. I also enjoy ultimate Frisbee. Most other sports bore me, unless played with really fun people or something. :)
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

You're right, Ziff, this started a debate.
JD wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:You're missing a lot of really fun sports.
Well if we are alking about sports not so popular, I play Ping-Pong I have won in 2 torments.
Table tennis is a very popular sport.
Ziff wrote:Those are all games, and that's a different topic.
Those are not games, those are sports.
Ziff wrote:These are team sports..
So only team sports are real sports?
Sherlock Holmes wrote:Curling!
GRR!!!

That makes me so mad. Curling is a really cool sport and I'm not even Canadian. It's always ridiculed 'cause it looks goofy, but if you really take the time to watch a whole match, you'll find that it takes a lot of skill and athletiscism and is really spectater-friendly and fun to watch. Yes, at first it looks like idiots sweeping ice, I thought that too originally, but after watching a match and finding more about it on wikipedia, I've come to really like it. Unfortunatly, it's not on T.V. very much, but it is most definetly one of my favorite sports.

Don't bash curling! :x
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Football and professional wrestling are the only sports worthy of consideration.
Shad Lexer

Post by Shad Lexer »

Volleyball is a sport, but juggling is not. ;) I suppose I didn't specify, but I was mainly talking about team sports, and that's why golf wasn't on the list.

I personally love, love playing ping-pong. I could play for hours, but I won't really say its a sport. Tennis is a sport, and ping-pong is a game for people who can't play tennis at the current time. ;)

Also, curling may take skill or whatever, but I still think it's the dumbest thing besides professional badminton.